IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

brand new is250 owner with brake & tire questions for you all

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-07, 04:57 PM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default brand new is250 owner with brake & tire questions for you all

i just bought my is250 a few weeks ago from lexus of orlando and have been reading this forum to learn some things about my new ride. love the car so far, but i am not happy with what i am hearing about the brake issues. is this what i have to look forward to??? i thought with getting out of my firebird i would have put all this crap behind me!

i was thinking the brake dust was just the brakes getting broken in....now i am wondering. i also did not really want the 18" tires because of the future tire cost, but the car i chose came with them and there weren't any on the lot without them. i know they tell you that the tires won't last long and i drive easy so i am hoping the will last a little while. do i have other options out there on something that will last longer and maybe not such a low profile?

please help if you know anything. i am just learning about this beautiful car and want to think i made a wise decision.
Old 02-08-07, 05:03 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

Old 02-08-07, 05:17 PM
Lexus Test Driver

The brakes dust...it's a purely cosmetic issue, and brake dust wipes off. I clean my wheels when I wash the car. It doesn't indicate a defect. If it did, BMWs would all need a recall.

Based on your comments about the brakes and tires, I'm guessing this isn't the best car for you...why did you buy it? You didn't make a wise decision if you consider brake dust a major issue on par with an old Firebird's problems.

Last edited by 15951; 02-08-07 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-08-07, 05:30 PM
is250gurl
Intermediate

i was asking about the TSB on the brakes and what people are getting out of the stock tires on this car. geez....the firebird was a sporty car that i could afford right out of college! drove it until 99800 but it was time for something new. give me a little break...i'm here now aren't i????
Old 02-08-07, 07:19 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Gurl ..... welcome aboard.

Drive the car for a while and see if the dust bothers you. To me it isn't an issue. I clean my car often and it easily wipes off. Just a bit of a cosmetic issue. But if it bothers you you can get the pads changed free to a harder compound.

Reason that you have 18" tires is that that is essentially the standard size now. I can't remember ever seeing a car on the lots without that 18" ($720) option.

I think there are a lot of 15,000 to 20,000 + mile folks on this board on the original set of tires. Driving a 250 and driving carefully you should be able to get that mileage easy. There was a thread a while back on this subject.
Old 02-08-07, 07:54 PM
neova
Pole Position

The only problem with the 18" wheels and tires is that they are directional tires and staggered = no tire rotation possible unless you unmount the tires and swap them left/right.

When your OEM tires wear out, which with normal driving conditions should last you for about 20K to 25k, then get some tires with Asymetrical tread (to allow rotating tires left/right) and with a UTQG wear rating of at least 300AA or more ideally 400AA. You will scacrifice some handling but gain in tire wear.

The rear 255/40R18 already has a pretty tall sidewall, so I guess you're concerned with the front 225/40R18. When you get new tires you can go for 225/45R18 or 235/40R18 or even up to 245/40R18 to get a bit more sidewall. These tire sizes are taller than the 225/40 so it will throw off your speedo but will bring the front tire height closer to that of the rear (26" tall).

In the meantime, enjoy your new ride!
Old 02-08-07, 08:09 PM
silversx
Driver

when i jacked up my stock bridgestone potenzas ... i switched both front tires to kuhmo spt 225/40ZR18 tires...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....1=yes&place=43

its 320 treadwear uni-directional tire.. should last much longer.. and its the highest ultra high performance summer tire that kuhmo makes... and $86 bucks each?? what can i say.. i did my research and multiple magazine reviews placed it in top 3 of their test..

wear out the bridgestones and buy somehting else.. i think the stock bridgestones are way over priced at 200+ each
Old 02-08-07, 08:16 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you could always find someone selling their 17inch wheels and slap those on. they won't be staggered but you'll be able to rotate em.
Old 02-08-07, 08:48 PM
misterbear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Gurl ..... welcome aboard.

Drive the car for a while and see if the dust bothers you. To me it isn't an issue. I clean my car often and it easily wipes off. Just a bit of a cosmetic issue. But if it bothers you you can get the pads changed free to a harder compound.

Reason that you have 18" tires is that that is essentially the standard size now. I can't remember ever seeing a car on the lots without that 18" ($720) option.

I think there are a lot of 15,000 to 20,000 + mile folks on this board on the original set of tires. Driving a 250 and driving carefully you should be able to get that mileage easy. There was a thread a while back on this subject.
What do you use to wipe off the brake dust? Terry/Microfiber cloth? What products do you usually use to clean the rims/wheels (I just have the 18" OEM alloys).
Old 02-08-07, 09:32 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbear
What do you use to wipe off the brake dust? Terry/Microfiber cloth? What products do you usually use to clean the rims/wheels (I just have the 18" OEM alloys).
If it's between washes I use a damp towel. When I wash the car the soap and water gets the dust off. I don't baby the wheels, there is no need. But the G-Spider wheels have a smoother finish than the standard wheels, whether this makes them easier to clean I do not know.
Old 02-09-07, 06:22 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

thanks for all your help guys! now all i need to do is get the windows tinted & i should be all set for awhile. i am being told to go ceramic as the metal in traditional tint will screw with my electronics. did anyone out there cover their speakers in the back to protect them when they tinted? i have the light grey interior and i am a little worried about the leather when they wet the windows to tint.
Old 02-09-07, 08:39 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by is250gurl
i was thinking the brake dust was just the brakes getting broken in....now i am wondering. i also did not really want the 18" tires because of the future tire cost, but the car i chose came with them and there weren't any on the lot without them. i know they tell you that the tires won't last long and i drive easy so i am hoping the will last a little while. do i have other options out there on something that will last longer and maybe not such a low profile?
Congrats on the car and Welcome to the Club!

Brake dust is annoying, but a quick hosing with water gets rid of it between detailings. Don't even try those "brake dust cleaners/sprays" you see in stores; they don't work. You can also change the brake pads; Lexus now uses the same found on the GS450h for the IS (for those that would prefer the stock ones for less dust).

As far as tires are concerned, you can get 20k+ on the tires. There are options for more mileage, but you may lose "performance" capabilities. In other words, if you want performance, you'll have tires with less tread life. If you want longer tread life, road grip will be less than optimal.

If you want to change to 17" wheels, you can always "downgrade." You'll be able to get tires with more tread life, and a little less expensive. It will definately affect the performance of the car.

If you don't "drive it like you stole it," 17" wheels may actually be appropriate for you.
Old 02-09-07, 08:58 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on your new IS and welcome to CL!
Old 02-09-07, 02:10 PM
Tony59blue
Lead Lap

Hey welcome to CL. Don't go with 17s they look too small for the ISX50. Stay with your 18s. If the dust problem bothers you, have your wheels chromed out. The chrome is real easy to clean and the dust doesn't stick to it as much.
Old 02-09-07, 03:03 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by is250gurl
thanks for all your help guys! now all i need to do is get the windows tinted & i should be all set for awhile. i am being told to go ceramic as the metal in traditional tint will screw with my electronics. did anyone out there cover their speakers in the back to protect them when they tinted? i have the light grey interior and i am a little worried about the leather when they wet the windows to tint.
if u can afford the extra costs of ceramic, then i suggest u go for that. it probably gets pretty hot in florida so the ceramic will do a great job in keeping the heat out. i didn't cover my speakers...

Quick Reply: brand new is250 owner with brake & tire questions for you all