IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Scratched my Smartkey pretty deep, any quick fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-07 | 12:09 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Originally Posted by sirkfc
uh, the insurance thing was just a joke, as that is the procedure for a scratched car... (over $2000 for a profesional job, if anybody is curious)

and to think I was about to post in jest a comment saying that 16 year olds can't handle Smartkeys without more experience....

You're being way too sensitive about this. I mean, your key got scratched. It works. Cover it with something, replace it, use the other one, or do nothing. Either way, it's not a big deal...

I'm sorry about my earlier indifference. I should have cared more and showed the sympathy that your key deserved.

ill be real. my 2nd semester just started on monday and one of my classes is prejudice and intolerance. we basically talk about the different things that lead people to think differently about one another. ie skateboarding = punk, hoodlum. i made strong assumptions with my remarks, but it was all in the name of education. so i guess im sorry for wasting your time. i wasn't really that upset about the whole skateboarding thing, but i just wanted to see if anyone would agree with the assumptions that i made. apparently no one did so i can move on. btw my key really is messed up, i just walked on a whole other tangent just for experimentation purposes. i can really care less about how you guys respond to my scratched key. i just wanted to make an effort to point out a weakness in common american society, but i guess i was mistaken? or maybe not, you all could just be putting up an act and defending your crazy prejudice. anyways, ill try out plasticX--and move on.
Old 02-09-07 | 12:11 AM
IS_NIICE
Racer

Originally Posted by Drunkebuda
i say just take the cover off and sand it down with some high grit sand paper and spay paint it a diffrent color make it to a color you like

yeaaa i just day dreamed about how cool it would be to have a tungsten pearl smart key....
Old 02-09-07 | 01:32 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Whilst I'm tempted to say "you have two smart keys, swop them over and move on", how about covering covering the damaged key with grip tape? At least then it's less likely to fall out of your pocket when out boarding again.
Old 02-09-07 | 05:12 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Wests
I would just make my spare my main key and relegate the scratched one to spare status.
Absolutely the best idea for someone who is the sole driver of the car.

What are you saving the spare for? So that the next owner can have a virgin key?
Old 02-09-07 | 01:05 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ron_is350
yeaaa i just day dreamed about how cool it would be to have a tungsten pearl smart key....
Well, okay, but this time don't forget the clearbra!
Old 02-09-07 | 04:42 PM
balutsc300
Lead Lap

haha nothing much man i wanna see your car sometime.. unfortunately my car is in the shop got into a minor accident but my sc gonna look new i wish i can drive my is
Old 02-09-07 | 06:55 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

WOW! What a great thread. After a long day, I needed a good laugh.

But seriously, if I was you, I would sell the car. Even if you do repair the key fob, it will never be the same again. You will always perceive that something is wrong with it.
Old 02-09-07 | 07:37 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by golfproatl
WOW! What a great thread. After a long day, I needed a good laugh.

But seriously, if I was you, I would sell the car. Even if you do repair the key fob, it will never be the same again. You will always perceive that something is wrong with it.
The problem with selling it is that his Carfax report will be ruined... just completely destroyed, because of that key... frankly the car is now worthless in my eyes. pity.
Old 02-09-07 | 08:18 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ron_is350
your post makes sense, and im glad you contributed, but please realize i was not directing anything at you. perhaps you skipped over the post that said "we should start a poll to see how many IS owners ride a skateboard". maybe im misinterpreting but all i gained from that statement was that "people who drive Lexus' shouldnt skate." what about you? then again he could just mean, i have a fast as **** car. i should drive it. and in that case id feel like an idiot. and id like to believe that as much as possible because i have nothing but respect for evitzee, but let's get real. i doubt that's what he meant.
As the poster about starting a poll let me respond to where I was coming from. The image in my mind of a person at school skateboarding and messing up his key to his $40,000 Lexus, and then worrying about it, just was too much to pass up. It was the skateboarding/Lexus angle I found amusing. Agree with it or not it is like 'Jumbo shrimp', 'Military intelligence', and other words/images that just don't go together. It was further compounded with the subject matter. A scratched up key just doesn't matter, imo. There are just too many other things to worry about on our cars. Like if we should get 25% or 20% tint on our windows.

Believe me, it had nothing to do with you skateboarding or your age. It was the skateboarding/Lexus/key image that just was amusing. Sorry if I offended you or you took it the wrong way.