IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

XM Radio Sound Quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-07 | 11:06 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have XM in my car and must say that I'm pretty happy with sound quality. I don't think the placement of the antenna should affect sound quality though. Either you're getting a signal or you're not.
Old 02-09-07 | 11:37 PM
misterbear
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ecr527
I have XM in my car and must say that I'm pretty happy with sound quality. I don't think the placement of the antenna should affect sound quality though. Either you're getting a signal or you're not.
Yeah, I have XM in my IS that I just picked up 2 weeks ago. I'm ok with the sound - subjectively, it ranges from slightly worse than FM to on par with.

Anyone also feel that most XM stations have a lower volume than the FM stations for the same volume number?

Still, I like XM's no commercials (too bad can't avoid all DJs...) and variety - I digg the XM Chill station a lot.

I'm thinking about signing up for XM after my trial period if I can get the $77/per year deal.
Old 02-10-07 | 06:18 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by warhummer
CD quality usually refers to the sampling rate that the original recording was made (44.1 kHz). Satellite radio (XM and Sirius) does suffer from compression loss throughout most of their stations. If you know what you're getting (i.e. reduced sound quality) it's not such a big deal, but don't expect high-quality sound from satellite radio. FYI the DVD-Audio capability in the ML sound system has a 192 kHz sampling rate for comparison. Unfortunately the technology is just about DOA and limited to mostly classical recordings.
Originally Posted by blk06is350
listen to this guy, i couldn't have said it any better.
+2 - WarHummer is exactly right. As an example, listen to a song on a pressed CD or a MP3 file of at least 192 Kbs, and then the same song on XM [Sat] - one can clearly here the compression.

So, as someone said: GI-GO - but at least the play list is fantastic
Old 02-10-07 | 09:52 PM
nighthawk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MLevinson
+2 - WarHummer is exactly right. As an example, listen to a song on a pressed CD or a MP3 file of at least 192 Kbs, and then the same song on XM [Sat] - one can clearly here the compression.

So, as someone said: GI-GO - but at least the play list is fantastic

And coming from Mark Levinson himself, I couldn't have said it any better
Old 02-11-07 | 12:33 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

My XM sounds better than FM.
I was pleasantly surprised at the quality
Old 07-18-07 | 12:51 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump, okay guys Id like some more feedback on this! Does XM sound better than FM???? Lesser than MP3? Better than AM. I dont want to drop 300 bucks on something I end up hating more than FM...
Old 07-18-07 | 02:13 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Bump, okay guys Id like some more feedback on this! Does XM sound better than FM???? Lesser than MP3? Better than AM. I dont want to drop 300 bucks on something I end up hating more than FM...
XM sound quality is MUCH better than FM/AM, not to mention the tremendous channel selection. I'm not an MP3 guy, so you'd have to get some additional feedback on that, but my guess would be that XM doesn't sound as good as your MP3 player.
Old 07-18-07 | 02:17 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_r_
Two important things: 1) proper installation of antenna, 2) sound quality is dependent on original source material.

I have the antenna mounted as per Lexus standards and have had no problems with quality or strength of signal after one year of ownership. I think some who mount the antenna inside compromise the signal strength under some conditions.

I listen to a lot of 60's and 70's music, and you can hear the quality of the original recording. So don't expect it to sound better than the original recording. But if I listen to new age jazz on Watercolors (station 71) which has new contemporary recordings the quality is excellent, about the same as a CD.

XM = CD in overall quality, imo. And XM > FM > AM

Personally, I'll never own another car without satellite radio. I even got a free Delphi Roady XT XM radio for my other car (the price was right!), and it also delivers excellent sound, about like a CD. It depends on installing it correctly. One of the features on some of the XM radios is the ability to have Stock quotes and Sports scores scroll across the screen. Lexus' XM system doesn't have this function, unfortunately.