IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What Information Screen Do You Use All The Time?
Blank Screen
1.69%
Outside Temp.
43.26%
Range Approximate
8.43%
Average MPG
5.62%
Tank Average MPG
11.42%
Current MPG
7.68%
Average Speed
0.19%
Gear Position
21.16%
Never bother to look at display
0.56%
Voters: 534. You may not vote on this poll

What Information Screen Do You Use All The Time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-08, 10:12 AM
MGalloway
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Outside temp until I get low on fluid, then i switch to range.
Old 03-30-08, 11:25 AM
spoonman3z
Driver School Candidate

Since I just got the car this week, I'm using the gear position to get a better idea of how the auto transmission responds to different situations.
Old 04-01-08, 06:44 AM
AB_
Driver School Candidate

Temp. but when I have less than have a tank of gas left.. I use the MPG screen.
Old 05-31-08, 06:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

I was just about to start a thread on this. I really wish this car had more displays seen at one time. Not having the temp show at the same time as seeing the MPG's is disappointing. The temp should be seperate somewhere else and always on. It's one of the most used pieces of info. Otherwise, I keep it on tank average. What I have found is this is a more accurate average of MPG's than the regular "average" mpg's. I can travel 20 miles on flat highway with the instant mpg's showing 35, but the average mpg readout only budges up one or two tenths. That's impossible considering the distance traveled for 20 miles. Yet if you have the tank average on, it jumps up much faster and more in tune with the current mpg's. I've tested this out for 2000 miles now, and the tank average is far more accurate for getting up to date mpg info. Go figure.
I also tested out cruise control and mpg's last night on a long flat stretch of interstate. Mileage dropped a few digits with cruise on. Those of you using cruise to save gas are fooling yourselves. With a steady foot not digging into the gas over and over, one can achieve higher mpg's without cruise. Cruise is just too abrupt on the gas. Every car I've owned with a trip computer has confirmed this.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 05-31-08 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-31-08, 08:48 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

regular average = average of all tanks put together... So it should adjust in small increments. (I think)
Old 05-31-08, 09:23 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cali2is
regular average = average of all tanks put together... So it should adjust in small increments. (I think)

Your assumption sounds right. The regular average takes too long to adjust. That defies what "average mpg's" should be... a mistep on Lexus's part IMHO.
Old 06-01-08, 12:48 PM
jackblack7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Your assumption sounds right. The regular average takes too long to adjust. That defies what "average mpg's" should be... a mistep on Lexus's part IMHO.
Not a mistep at all. It's a lifetime average (or at least if you don't reset it). They have a separate display for lifetime average, tank average, and current average. That makes sense to me. BTW, I do agree that tank average is the most useful display, and that's what I use most often.
Old 06-01-08, 03:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jackblack7
Not a mistep at all. It's a lifetime average (or at least if you don't reset it). They have a separate display for lifetime average, tank average, and current average. That makes sense to me. BTW, I do agree that tank average is the most useful display, and that's what I use most often.
The confusion lies in that most other car's "average mpg's" are what Lexus's "tank average" is. This is what throws me off. The "lifetime average" idea seems silly, as one wouldn't need mpg numbers from 1000 miles ago to affect a current trip's status. Having to reset the average every trip is an extra step which I think should be done on it's own.
But yes, there is a function for everything once one learns what's what.
Old 06-02-08, 09:32 AM
APBT4Me
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

usually outside temp but when the tank is running low i sometimes switch to approx range
Old 06-02-08, 01:35 PM
scheme56
Driver School Candidate

primarily, gear position then sometimes toggle between current mpg and outside temp.
Old 07-21-10, 05:35 PM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I was just about to start a thread on this. I really wish this car had more displays seen at one time. Not having the temp show at the same time as seeing the MPG's is disappointing. The temp should be seperate somewhere else and always on. It's one of the most used pieces of info. Otherwise, I keep it on tank average. What I have found is this is a more accurate average of MPG's than the regular "average" mpg's. I can travel 20 miles on flat highway with the instant mpg's showing 35, but the average mpg readout only budges up one or two tenths. That's impossible considering the distance traveled for 20 miles. Yet if you have the tank average on, it jumps up much faster and more in tune with the current mpg's. I've tested this out for 2000 miles now, and the tank average is far more accurate for getting up to date mpg info. Go figure.
I also tested out cruise control and mpg's last night on a long flat stretch of interstate. Mileage dropped a few digits with cruise on. Those of you using cruise to save gas are fooling yourselves. With a steady foot not digging into the gas over and over, one can achieve higher mpg's without cruise. Cruise is just too abrupt on the gas. Every car I've owned with a trip computer has confirmed this.
I agree there should be somewhere else a outside temp display and always on
Old 07-21-10, 05:38 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MGalloway
Outside temp until I get low on fluid, then i switch to range.
Same here...
Old 07-21-10, 08:16 PM
rkrIS350
Driver School Candidate

gear for me
Old 07-21-10, 08:46 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Off Topic: Why does the car tell us our average speed?
Old 07-21-10, 09:26 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

im not sure why it gives average speed. i prefer to keep it on the outside temp, and if i fall below a qtr on the tank, ill switch to approx range and begin to search around for the nearest mobil station.

Quick Reply: What Information Screen Do You Use All The Time?