IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Where would you pick to park your car?
The space on the very left (possible scratch / ding on the right door)
6.57%
The space on the very right (possible scratch / ding on the left door)
10.95%
I dont care ! (both doors are at risk!)
19.71%
An isolated spots 2 miles from the parking lot. (HA!)
62.77%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Where you park your IS

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-07 | 07:33 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Since my IS is a right hand drive I rather scratch the left door. But most of the time I park at a spot that either have a wall on left or right I don't really mind as long as it has a wall or even better which has two walls haha
Old 02-10-07 | 07:56 PM
rhsmd
Driver

Originally Posted by stangd1909
I park far out where nobodys else parks! But dam it never fails when I come out of the store, I have 10 other cars around me.
ditto.and the ***holes always seem to drive junkers.
not a problem yet with the new car, but my 2001 acura tl still to this day attract every smuck with a ratty car.
Old 02-11-07 | 01:11 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

2 miles? lol
I say I will park it at home and take the bus!
Old 02-11-07 | 02:25 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Talking

Originally Posted by josephdoc
2 miles? lol
I say I will park it at home and take the bus!
the "2 miles" part is just for fun.

i do see a lot of IS owners taking good care of their cars !
Old 02-11-07 | 02:33 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

I park 1mm away from the left and right.
Old 02-11-07 | 07:13 AM
Hotwheels
Driver School Candidate

I choose my parking spot very carefully too!

1-Always try to find a far away space with curb on right side and no car on left.

2-If that fails then curb on left and equally good looking luxury car on right... they are the only ones who will appreciate my ride.

3-If that fails then between two equally nice luxury cars. (Last night at a popular dining spot we could find only one space, and it had a classic Rolls on the right and a nice Volvo on the left.)

4-Never near a shopping cart or junker. (Kudos to "is4me2" for returning carts... there's hope that others will follow us)

5-Never ever ever beside a mini-van... regardless of those sliding doors... kids are careless... and generally speaking parents are not watching them touching other cars as they spin around with their new toys, book bags, etc. when they climb in the car.

*If parallel parking I only take the space with a curb on the front or back and get as close to it as possible with the hope that the person parking in the other one will be able to get in and out without tapping my bumper.
Old 02-11-07 | 08:09 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 305Cane
....and now i've realized i like typing djibouti as much as i love saying djibouti...ok ill stop now

shake, shake, shake
shake, shake, shake
shake Djibouti, shake Djibouti

It's fun to sing it too!
Old 02-11-07 | 08:37 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hotwheels
I choose my parking spot very carefully too!

1-Always try to find a far away space with curb on right side and no car on left.
I prefer parking in a distant spot with the curb on my left, unless I'm parking somewhere (like a workplace) where the vast majority of cars have only a single occupant. Otherwise (e.g., at a supermarket or mall), the passenger door of a car parking next to me could be opened by a kid, which is far more risky than the driver's door which will be opened by an adult.

Also, if my luck has run out, I'd rather have the ding on the passenger side of my car where I don't have to see it as often.

2-If that fails then curb on left and equally good looking luxury car on right... they are the only ones who will appreciate my ride.
Many luxury cars have heavy doors that swing open like battering rams, and if you don't think there are hordes of careless housewives driving Mercedes, Jaguar, and other luxury marques, you are kidding yourself. Just yesterday, as I started my trek to the far reaches of the mall parking lot, I passed an overweight woman with the door to her Cadillac open and resting against the car next to (and downhill from) hers. As she bounced around trying to maneuver her massive girth out of the car, her door was carving a nice electrocardiogram in the paint of the car parked alongside hers. It took massive self control not to say something extremely rude.

If I'm forced to park next to someone, I'll always prefer a car with short flyweight doors like a Toyota Echo.

Last edited by Bichon; 02-11-07 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-11-07 | 10:21 AM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Do you guys back in?
Old 02-11-07 | 11:16 AM
2IS 'R' US
Lead Lap

I usually try to park next to an island or far enough away that chances are there won't be cars parked around me during my visit. If I have no choice but to park between cars, I make sure the spot is big enough and that I'm not next to a coupe...preferably another nice car that looks like the driver takes care of his/her car. If I happen to come across a nice spot, but there's a shopping cart there, I'll just bring it in.
Old 02-11-07 | 12:35 PM
ABC
Racer
CL Folding 100000

I try to park away from trees and in the empty areas of any lot i'm in.

At work i usually park next to the same car and in the empty area so the risk of dents/scratches is lowered.
Old 02-11-07 | 05:12 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

I will either park next to a handicapped spot (if a handicapped person is not parked in the spot) or a painted yellow 'island' and hang way over into it, so that a car parked next to me on the other side could never reach me with their opened door (unless they were trying to). 1 year and 3 months and still not one ding! (did I just jinx myself?)
Old 02-11-07 | 06:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I just park it. It's a car. It can be fixed no matter what, it's just time and money. In 10 years of daily driving my Supra, I used the same approach. It still has virgin doors.

I know Supra owners who have posted about parking way out in the hinterlands and getting keyed because people think they're arrogant.

If you're really paranoid, NEVER park anywhere near a Scion tC. Their doors are incredibly long, very heavy, and only take a small wind gust to smack into the nearest object even when you (an adult) are trying very diligently to maintain control of the door. Just imagine what happens with a child getting out...
Old 02-11-07 | 08:26 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Now that I got this expensive car, I'm worried about scratches and dings too. I commute on the freeway everyday and the sand hauling semi's really take a toll on cars. For parking, I always try to find a spot between nice new cars. If I can't find any, I'll park far away. If the cars look new or halfway decent, I'll park next to them. The bigger the parking space, the better.
Old 02-11-07 | 10:56 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

i park it as far as i can away from people and the people riding with me always complain of walking too far lol...i just dont want door dings and stupid haters keying my car...as for school i have reserved parking and i know all my friends who park next to me soo if theres is a ding on any part of my car i know whos it from

Quick Reply: Where you park your IS