IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY Front Brakes for IS350

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-07, 12:19 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wolverine
well if your not resurfacing the rotor you dont need to remove the caiper at all. all you need to do is remove the pin and slide the pads out.
Wolverine is right. This design is very similar to other makes and models. If you do not need to resurface the rotors or replace the rotors, you DO NOT need to remove the calipers. This whole thing should not take more than 15-20 minutes per side.

Originally Posted by l1tech
. You should also be opening the bleeder screw on the brake calipers before pushing the piston, this will lessen the force required to push the pistons in and also you shouldn't force the fluid backwards through the system, you could overflow the master cylinder reservoir or possibly damage the internal seals of the braking components, although the later is not likely it is still possible.
I do not recommend openning the bleeder screw because the chance of air getting into the system. Just get a rag and put around the reservoir incase it overflows. It won't overflow if you never top off. There is nothing wrong with "forcing" the fluid back. Everytime you step and release on the brake pedal, it does the same thing.
Old 02-11-07, 12:37 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,076 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Hawk says Q2 -07 in the email response I got from them. I still have more than 6mm of pad left with 17.5k on my car now.

And Wolverine is dead on about not needing to pull the caliper. I have done my Supra brakes a number of times, and the IS brakes are nothing special. I also use a C-clamp to retract the pistons because I can progressively retract them at any speed I like (and C-clamps are really cheap.) But pry bars work fine too.

Keep in mind, if you are changing pad compound you need to (at the very least) scuff the rotors with something like a red Scotchbrite pad. If you are really ****, have them centerless ground. If you are just putting another set of the same compound in, there is nothing you need to do but put in new pads.
Old 02-11-07, 08:01 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by newr
Wolverine is right.
Originally Posted by lobuxracer
And Wolverine is dead on about not needing to pull the caliper.
omg thank you. ill do another DIY when its time for me to do brakes.
Old 02-11-07, 09:19 AM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great pics Lexo350

I hope the moderators use these pics for a sticky. It's just like my Montero. I usually take the cap off the master cylinder reservoir. If you don't add any fluid, none to over flow when you push the pistons back in. yeah if you don't have warped rotors, turning them is just waste of rotor. Just scuff with the scotchbrite. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-11-07, 10:03 AM
Dan SS
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone actually gone to a Lexus dealer to complain about the dust and gotten free replacements? Are the replacements the so called 'better' pad?
Old 02-11-07, 10:08 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan SS
Has anyone actually gone to a Lexus dealer to complain about the dust and gotten free replacements? Are the replacements the so called 'better' pad?
You can read all about it here in the 2IS Suspension and Brakes forum. They aren't "better" pads, they are just a less agressive compound.
Old 02-11-07, 10:19 AM
bturnbaugh
Driver

Question

I agree with the complete install, very standard step by step with most break pad change. Question: When pushing the pistions back to make room for the new pads did you have break fluid over flow?
Old 02-11-07, 11:08 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bturnbaugh
I agree with the complete install, very standard step by step with most break pad change. Question: When pushing the pistions back to make room for the new pads did you have break fluid over flow?
The posts above already answered your question. If you never top it off, it won't overflow.
Old 02-11-07, 03:00 PM
murph550
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexo350
So I take it you haven't changed out the brakes on an IS350 yet or your IS.
yea, as someone else stated brakes are brakes, ive done brake jobs on many cars, and have never had to remove the calipers so I don't see where your comin from.

Also a tip for others when doin any brake job be careful not to damnage the seals around the pistons when you are pushing themback into the cylinder. Also some cars have a brake pad sensor, and if you just yank the pads out sometimes you can break the wires. just my 2 cents.
Old 02-11-07, 03:43 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by murph550
yea, as someone else stated brakes are brakes, ive done brake jobs on many cars, and have never had to remove the calipers so I don't see where your comin from.

Also a tip for others when doin any brake job be careful not to damnage the seals around the pistons when you are pushing themback into the cylinder. Also some cars have a brake pad sensor, and if you just yank the pads out sometimes you can break the wires. just my 2 cents.
FWIW, there are many cars that must have their calipers removed to replace the pads. All of my Hondas and Acuras required the rear calipers to be removed, and the front calipers had to be unbolted on one side, then rotated up off the pads.
Old 02-11-07, 03:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by murph550
Also some cars have a brake pad sensor, and if you just yank the pads out sometimes you can break the wires. just my 2 cents.
True, some do. I haven't seen a Toyota product with them yet though.
Old 02-11-07, 03:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Gernby
FWIW, there are many cars that must have their calipers removed to replace the pads. All of my Hondas and Acuras required the rear calipers to be removed, and the front calipers had to be unbolted on one side, then rotated up off the pads.
These would be the inferior designs with pins that allow them to slide to center themselves. If the caliper has pistons on both sides (as it should!), you never have to remove the caliper to change the pads.
Old 02-11-07, 03:52 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gernby
Yep, my old Pontiac Grand Prix had to have the caliper remvoed to replace the pads.
Old 02-11-07, 04:05 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
These would be the inferior designs with pins that allow them to slide to center themselves. If the caliper has pistons on both sides (as it should!), you never have to remove the caliper to change the pads.
The front PBR's on non C6Z06 Vette's and many other vehicles including C4's and C5's and the two base level Baer systems are all two piston. I'm not arguing the inferior classification just that some decent setups are still two piston.
Old 02-11-07, 06:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Two piston doesn't mean it isn't a decent caliper. If they put the two pistons on one side, then yes, it is definitely an inferior design. Calipers on sliding pins are not high performance.

Quick Reply: DIY Front Brakes for IS350