IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

&%*&! Probably going to have to sell my IS350

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-07, 09:54 AM
likwid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 4 month old and haven't had any problems with the rear seat in the middle. I still have a decent amount of space on both the drivers side and the passenger side. It's a pretty tight fit for the car seat, but it should work without you having to sacrifice all your leg room in the front.
Old 02-12-07, 10:17 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, there aren't many cars out there that will accomodate a rear facing seat very well. My brother's Lincoln LS is even crouded with the rear facing seat. I also believe that the middle of the back seat is the safest location due to side impact.

BTW, Is your IS350 the only 4 door car you have?
Old 02-12-07, 10:31 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sucks, at least sell your car private party. buy a GS350
Old 02-12-07, 10:43 AM
93illini
Driver School Candidate

Agree with the tight fit on rear facing car seats - our Graco Snugride Travel System (w/detachable seat & base) took up a good bit of space in the IS. We were pretty much relegated to using the SUV for kid transport.

Note - seatbelt option might work in center position, but ensure latch anchors are appropriate distance if using center position. The standard is something like 22" and I believe the center span is greater. Not safe to have the seat sliding side to side in a collision.

Now the little one is 16 months and our forward facing Britax Marathon fits well in the IS behind the driver seat (pulled pretty far back)
Old 02-12-07, 11:06 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

One other option is to have a passenger side airbag disable switch installed. I'm not sure about the laws in California, but in most states, they allow child seats in the front if the airbag has a switch installed by a state certified installer. If you do much reasearch about child safety in auto crashes, the only reason why the back seat is safer is due to the front air bags. There were several people in my local S2000 club that had this modification due to a child.
Old 02-12-07, 11:10 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

this is funny.I have three kids.Now my wife drives a GX470 but ,I do have to tranport the kids all the time in the IS350.My 7 month old is still in a rear faceing seat.We just move the front seat just enough to fit the car seat in then move it back a few inches to give room up front.All three kids fit in the back.2 yr old (froward facing)6 yr old (center)7 mo(pass side)it works ok.We don`t go on long trips, just out to eat and around town.We have the GX for most kid stuff the IS is my weekend car(car shows etc...)I`ve had it 6 months and only have 1300 miles on it.Besides its only a year then you can get a foward facing seat.If you kinda tall your kid may grow out of it early anyway.Mines 7 mo old is going to a forward set next month @ 9 months.
Old 02-12-07, 11:13 AM
Tmirk
Pole Position

I'm in exact same situation. Wife is about to pop with my first any day now. Of course her car and the car we will drive most is a Tahoe, so the seat won't be in my car very much.

I'm 6'1" I was going to get rid of the IS for a Volvo V70R.

However, I've figured out that the seat will fit in the middle. I use a Graco Sungride.... and use one anchor on each side. The seat itself rubs a bit on the driver and passenger side, but I didn't adjust either seat at all. Distance between those two anchors is 14", while the regular distance is 11". The seat is very secure.

I can snap some pics if you'd like, but it will work, and mom can even sit next to baby in the back if front seat person moves seat up a bit.

Maybe after the next one I'll get my sleeper speed wagon.

Last edited by Tmirk; 02-12-07 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-12-07, 11:29 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jeremy
this is funny.I have three kids.Now my wife drives a GX470 but ,I do have to tranport the kids all the time in the IS350.My 7 month old is still in a rear faceing seat.We just move the front seat just enough to fit the car seat in then move it back a few inches to give room up front.All three kids fit in the back.2 yr old (froward facing)6 yr old (center)7 mo(pass side)it works ok.We don`t go on long trips, just out to eat and around town.We have the GX for most kid stuff the IS is my weekend car(car shows etc...)I`ve had it 6 months and only have 1300 miles on it.Besides its only a year then you can get a foward facing seat.If you kinda tall your kid may grow out of it early anyway.Mines 7 mo old is going to a forward set next month @ 9 months.
You can fit 3 car seats in the back of your IS ?
Which child seats do you have and can you take a pic of your back seat with all 3 car seats installed. I have 2 britax marathons in the back and nothing else will fit with those installed . . .
Old 02-12-07, 11:39 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

gotta do what ya gotta do. when a spot becomes available for my business i'll prob have to sell mine also for start up $$.
Old 02-12-07, 11:51 AM
GNN60GT500
Driver

Thanks guys- I am going to try installing in the middle tonight- Im using the GRACO as well- so if you guys made it work- I will make it work-

I REALLY dont want to get rid of the car-

Thanks guys- damn what would I do with out ClubLexus- LOL

My wife has an ES330 so her car is no problem- but there will be times that I need to have the baby and a passenger in the car-

LOL- Her car is actually the same color combo as mine too- looks funny when they are parked on the driveway next to each other- LOL
Old 02-12-07, 11:54 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Have you researched the infant seats yet ? IMHO, Peg Perego has the safest infant carrier/car seat in the industry, a lil' pricey, but definitely worth it. At least for the first 9 months, your baby should be in a rear facing infant carrier/seat, then you can transition to a rear facing child seat when it outgrows the carrier. The middle position is the safest place for a single child, and the Peg Perego will definitely fit in the middle of the IS backseat. You can hold off selling the IS for another 9 months to a year if you go with an infant carrier car seat. If you're having twins, than your IS is history . . .
Old 02-12-07, 12:10 PM
iexpress
Pole Position

Well i know the car seat is important. But its gona mess the IS leather up badly..
Old 02-12-07, 12:58 PM
GNN60GT500
Driver

Originally Posted by iexpress
Well i know the car seat is important. But its gona mess the IS leather up badly..
Blanket will take care of that-
Old 02-12-07, 01:21 PM
Tmirk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GNN60GT500
Blanket will take care of that-
I got one of those seat savers. It's a little rubber mat. It will help, but what I'm fully expecting is some creases in the seats. When installed properly those things really dig in.
Old 02-12-07, 01:47 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

My buddy has a stiff mat (probably a "seat saver" as mentioned above) underneath a blanket that goes under the child seat. His leather is fully protected from scratches, stretch marks, and bio-matter.

Quick Reply: &%*&! Probably going to have to sell my IS350