IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

OEM NAVI installed! (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-07, 09:53 AM
jdanon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah it's identifying that part number that has been elusive as I don't actually have the car to go look. I would think the manufacturer and part number would be stamped into the plastic on the connector, and with that one should also be able to get the corresponding male connector that is on the back of the nav unit and pins to use in the female connector. To make a hack cable both connectors will be needed. Lexus probably would not be able to supply the male connector as it is technically inside the nav unit.
Old 08-20-07, 10:20 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Very impressive swap out, congrats. Obviously it is far more expensive than getting it standard from the factory, which would limit those wanting to do a conversion like this, but very impressed you got it all to work. This would certainly have to be one of the most difficult conversions to do on this car

On an earlier thread about Nav hacks someone posted that the replacement cost of just the Nav unit was $5,000 in the event it would have to be replaced out of warranty. But it seems that you got all your parts for $3,500. Did you get your parts at a discount from the Lexus Audio dealer, or did you pay full price? If you paid full nickel do you know how much the Nav unit by itself cost?

I notice that your state in your ID is listed as PA, but your license plate is Nova Scotia. Is the car going to be used in Canada? Since major metropolitan areas of Canada are included on the Nav disc I suppose there should be no problems in this regard, including GPS tracking. I recently spent 2 1/2 years in Halifax, nice place to live and good people.

Last edited by Evitzee; 08-20-07 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-20-07, 10:44 AM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow man awesome.....since you did this, do you think for people like me who already have NAVI but no ML can swap the unit to get the ML package (I don't need to change the speakers, just want the DVD function)

Also, as mentioned before, please give us the part numbers if you can. If the swap between a NAVI non-ML to a NAVI with ML is reasonable in price, maybe I can come to you for this service.

Again, great job bro

Last edited by RU514; 08-20-07 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-20-07, 10:45 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

wow, very nice! Congrats on the install!!
Old 08-20-07, 11:01 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Very nice job. Please post more info to help us!
you said $3500 but is that a new nav unit or a salvaged one?
Old 08-20-07, 11:08 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Bravo to the OP! I was expecting it would cost a lot more than $3500.
Old 08-20-07, 11:17 AM
threefiveo
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Very Very Cool!!! I would love to see a writeup / walkthrough of this install as well as all the parts required.
Old 08-20-07, 11:44 AM
cancellino
Pole Position

Very cool...Swaps like these make me believe that one could add factory Parking sensors...nice post!
Old 08-20-07, 12:32 PM
cheappc
Driver

Wow, this is awesome, i saw one on ebay for $1,500, but that was one taken out of a car.

I would be very interested in doing what you did, especially with the mark levinson, HOW DOES IT SOUND?, without the added speakers that the MARK LEVINSON comes with? I wonder how it compares?

You know what is really cool about this? the value of your car just went up, because when I did the same thing to my Hummer H3, they gave me credit for "Navigation and Monsoon" when i sold it, which was like an extra $1500, so all your money didnt go to waste.

In the eyes of the Blue Book, or NADA, they figure that it came standard with your car.

Please post instructions, and location where you got your parts, and so forth.

Thank you
Old 08-20-07, 01:36 PM
ghollett1
Driver School Candidate

All the parts are from Donor cars, egusman sourced out everything except for the license plate piece, I have ordered it in from the dealer. To get Nav in Canada is $10,000.00 option on the IS350, so I am ahead of the game. Eguman is one of our board members and he also sells Nav systems on ebay under the name egusman for other Lexus models.
Old 08-20-07, 01:59 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You can order the connectors from Lexus. Maybe even Sumitomo, Tyco, or AMP if you can find the part number on the original connector.
Well getting the part number has been impossible and the male connector isnt any easier since it is stuck on the back of the nav unit and more than likely cant be ordered from toyota/lexus.

Originally Posted by jdanon
Yeah it's identifying that part number that has been elusive as I don't actually have the car to go look. I would think the manufacturer and part number would be stamped into the plastic on the connector, and with that one should also be able to get the corresponding male connector that is on the back of the nav unit and pins to use in the female connector. To make a hack cable both connectors will be needed. Lexus probably would not be able to supply the male connector as it is technically inside the nav unit.
Yep, still no luck on this issue. I have studied all the drawings and cable connector diagrams I could get my hands on and still nothing and no connectors... I swear it seems impossible without having the stupid male version of that cable manufactured yourself! I have found the part number for the female connector though, its 90980-12444, though I can cant seem to get it to come up anywhere to order.
Old 08-20-07, 02:00 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ghollett1
All the parts are from Donor cars, egusman sourced out everything except for the license plate piece, I have ordered it in from the dealer. To get Nav in Canada is $10,000.00 option on the IS350, so I am ahead of the game. Eguman is one of our board members and he also sells Nav systems on ebay under the name egusman for other Lexus models.
So do you think if I bought the ML unit (just for DVD playback...don't need speakers) it would work or not? Also, do you know if the unit comes in one piece (meaning including the screen and stuff) or do you think there is a way just to swap out the bottom CD changer and put in the ML DVD changer?

I hope it does and I would be very interested in paying you if you know how to install it

Last edited by RU514; 08-20-07 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-20-07, 03:14 PM
9520G
Lead Lap

Not too shabby, where are you located? Maybe you can do mine?
Old 08-20-07, 03:24 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

Nice, I am getting the same retrofit from egusman also. paid 3k for mine though.
Old 08-20-07, 03:25 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

wow good job!

it doesn't look like a simple swap.

Quick Reply: OEM NAVI installed! (merged threads)