IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is 250 Awd

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-07 | 06:36 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Default Is 250 Awd

Hi, I just bought my new Lexus IS 250 AWD and I scratched and it’s dented. I took it to the dealer and they said it will cost me one thousand dollar to fix that, I can see the metal. Question is, if I get touchup paints can I cover most of it without looking close? I am new to car and I never used touchup paint before. And I asked them why it costs me so much; they said because they will fix all the stuff and also paint the door otherwise the color will look night and day. Any help will be greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails Is 250 Awd-picture-0033.jpg  
Old 02-12-07 | 06:43 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Welcome to the forum (and the car)!

I would strongly suggest trying a sprayless scratch repair expert before paying big bucks to have it fixed "right". They use black magic techniques like the paintless dent repair guys to remove the scratches. If the scratches are deep enough, they will use incellin needles filled with color matched paint to fill in the scratches, then buff it, fill it, buff it, fill it ... then rub paint thinner on it ... until it is smooth. If you find a good person, it will be very hard to see.
Old 02-12-07 | 06:44 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

BTW, please use better thread titles in the future. The subject you used "IS250 AWD" really doesn't have anything to do with your topic. A great topic that would generate much more participation would be "How can I fix the scratches on my brand new car?!"
Old 02-12-07 | 06:50 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Thanks a lot for welcoming, sorry I am still a noobie at this point. I don't know any friends that can really do a GREAT paintjob, and I really don't wanna take it to back to Lexus because they charge me a fortune for a little dent/scratches. I really don't know where to start, if I take it to some local mechanic shop, I am afraid that they will damage my car more than fixing it lol
Old 02-12-07 | 06:56 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jimjaix
Thanks a lot for welcoming, sorry I am still a noobie at this point. I don't know any friends that can really do a GREAT paintjob, and I really don't wanna take it to back to Lexus because they charge me a fortune for a little dent/scratches. I really don't know where to start, if I take it to some local mechanic shop, I am afraid that they will damage my car more than fixing it lol
I would start by doing a search on yp.yahoo.com in your area for "dent repair". You will find many companies that specialize in paintless dent repair that you can call to see if they also do sprayless scratch repair.
Old 02-12-07 | 07:04 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Ok, thanks I did a search and only one result show up. I will give them a call tomorrow morning and find out. A dent like this how long does it take to fix it up? My friend said the longer the better because there's a couple coats for cars. The Lexus dealer told me it will take him 5 days. What do you think?
Old 02-12-07 | 07:43 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

The dent doesn't take more than a few minutes for them to fix. The paint treatment might take several 30 minute sessions over a few days depending on how many treatments they do. For example, if they fill the scratches with fresh paint, they would want it to dry for a day or so before polishing and filling again. That doesn't mean that you would be without the car though.
Old 02-12-07 | 07:47 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Ya if I take it back to my Lexus dealer they will give me a loaner, otherwise I will have to pay for it or I can ask my auto insurance to pay 30 dollars per day... which is pretty bad. Let's just hope they can do a perfect job on my car, otherwise I will be spending more money : /
Old 02-12-07 | 07:49 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Do you live in a small town? Maybe you should do a search for just "dent". I got 17 listings on "dent repair" within 20 miles of my house in the DFW area.
Old 02-12-07 | 07:51 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

If I click "beyond Brooklyn 11220" I will get a lot of listings, the only thing I am worrying about is that they messed up my car and there are no ratings/review for those listings. Oh well... I guess I will give a shot
Old 02-12-07 | 07:55 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Ya if I take it back to my Lexus dealer they will give me a loaner, otherwise I will have to pay for it or I can ask my auto insurance to pay 30 dollars per day... which is pretty bad. Let's just hope they can do a perfect job on my car, otherwise I will be spending more money : /
I think you misunderstood what I said. You would NOT have to be without your car, but you might have to take it by the place a couple times for an hour.

I dented my brand new Honda S2000 really bad a few years ago by dropping a 1 gallon jug of fluid on it. It didn't scratch it, but the dent was deep, and had a crease in it. After changing my underwear, I took it to a paintless dent repair shop. After 30 minutes, and $45, I couldn't even tell where the dent was. It was absolutely amazing.

I also had several rock chips repaired by a sprayless paint repair guy for $75. Some of them were HUGE and went all the way to the metal. He mixed the paint himself, and fixed them all in about an hour. I can barely tell where they were.
Old 02-12-07 | 07:57 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

If I click "beyond Brooklyn 11220" I will get a lot of listings, the only thing I am worrying about is that they messed up my car and there are no ratings/review for those listings. Oh well... I guess I will give a shot
I would just ask to see some of their work. Their facility and professionalism should also tell you a lot about their workmanship.
Old 02-12-07 | 08:08 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Oh, I can drive by a couple times without any problem because the closest one is like 2 miles away lol. You sound like I can really save that one grand : )
Old 02-12-07 | 08:15 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Well, I really hope it works out well for you. It will all depend on their expertise.

BTW, what caused the scratches and dent?
Old 02-12-07 | 08:23 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Ya I hope everything works out great, I just emailed two shops and send them the photos. Waiting for them to get back to me now. I parked my car on the street one day and when I got to my vehicle it was like that. I couldn't ask my insurance company to pay for the fix because I chose one thousand dollar Deductible on Collision.

I also have another question that's not related to this one. From time to time, I hear a click from my car, I think it is from the middle part of it. I dont' know what it is but it just clicks one and then go away. It happens randomly, if I take it to my dealership I am sure they won't do anything about it... just wondering if you know

Quick Reply: Is 250 Awd