IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: At 1 time or another my ISx50 has had a problem with pulling on the road
Yes
37.93%
No
62.07%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Does your 2IS pull left or right?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 09:08 AM
taylorjste
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 06 doesnt have this problem.. 04/06 build date
Old 02-14-07, 09:44 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had two 2IS's and neither had this problem.
Old 02-14-07, 10:11 AM
uthatch
Driver

Originally Posted by Big Andy
To be honest it's probably a combination of the road surface and the width of the tires. Heavily used road surfaces get grooves from the repeated vehicular traffic. Cars with wide tires will tend to tramline along these grooves. If you brake or accelerate and your tyres aren't quite in the grooves the steering will pull one way or another. On highways it's more pronounced on the part of the roads that HGVs use.
I agree with this 100%. I came from a 2005 C6 Corvette before my IS and that car had much wider tires and the pulling you describe was much greater. The Vette steered heavier than the IS in order to compensate, but it was definitly there.
Old 02-14-07, 10:12 AM
Joneser
Driver

yeah, mine does it in certain situation... bought it in Dec before the new year... I have the bridgestone so that means it has to do with the
A) VCT and/or speed sensitive steering locking up? Programming glitch?
B) OEM alignment with OEM factory wheel specs?
C) OR are some of us just "special"?
Old 02-14-07, 10:12 AM
Wai
Pole Position

It sounds to me like an alignment problem. Too much toe out in the rear would make the tail wanders around, especially in braking.

If the dealership said the fixed the alignment, request a print out. Spec alignment is a "range". The toe might be right at the edge of that range and they still call it ok.
Old 02-14-07, 10:56 AM
neova
Pole Position

Originally Posted by faymouslex
The car will pull either left or right only when I am breaking, and it only happens when the wheel is already turned a little left or little right(not when it is straight)
Um... if your steering wheel isn't straight, why would you expect the car to stop straight? It doesn't sound like an alighment problem if this is your complaint.

If you're talking about how your steering wheel tends to veer left/right while breaking (or at anytime when there is a heavy load on the front wheels) on less than perfectly smooth surfaces, then that's called tire tracking which is a common problem with grippy performance tires, specially with directional treads. Grippy tires will follow every the groove on the road, which is designed to provide feedback to the driver thru the steering wheel. Great for a race track, but a bit annoying on the road. Unfortunately our cars with 18" wheels all come with sumemr performance tires.

Tire tracking is more apparent on the Lexus compared to other sporty cars because the steering theds to be a bit lighter compared to say, a BMW. Given the same wheels and tires on the same road, you will feel the Lexus track more compared to the BMW which has a heavier steering to insulate the driver from all the little imperfections of the road.

You can't really do much about the Lexus steering, so get some less grippy tires with asymetrical treads.

Last edited by neova; 02-14-07 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-14-07, 11:06 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Special Order '06 built in 9/05.

I have the OEM Dunlops, now near 20k miles.

Not once have I had it pull left nor right...
Old 02-14-07, 11:27 AM
Nuster
Driver

Originally Posted by neova
Um... if your steering wheel isn't straight, why would you expect the car to stop straight? It doesn't sound like an alighment problem if this is your complaint.

If you're talking about how your steering wheel tends to veer left/right while breaking (or at anytime when there is a heavy load on the front wheels) on less than perfectly smooth surfaces, then that's called tire tracking which is a common problem with grippy performance tires, specially with directional treads. Grippy tires will follow every the groove on the road, which is designed to provide feedback to the driver thru the steering wheel. Great for a race track, but a bit annoying on the road. Unfortunately our cars with 18" wheels all come with sumemr performance tires.

Tire tracking is more apparent on the Lexus compared to other sporty cars because the steering theds to be a bit lighter compared to say, a BMW. Given the same wheels and tires on the same road, you will feel the Lexus track more compared to the BMW which has a heavier steering to insulate the driver from all the little imperfections of the road.

You can't really do much about the Lexus steering, so get some less grippy tires with asymetrical treads.
I think Neova is right! It's only happen to me when I brake on the road has a crappy condition. That's when my steering wheel start to pull one side or the other. I noticed that on two different cars when I brake on the same road. My sister Scion TC and my IS350.
Old 02-14-07, 11:27 AM
1022it
Pole Position

I have noticed it once or twice in the 800 miles i have driven mine, i disagree with the condition of the road being to blame 100% of the time because mine veered to the left when i stopped on a brand new road that i know i have braked just fine (just lighter breaking force) plenty of times before.
Old 02-14-07, 12:47 PM
maz
Lead Lap

Mines does this only when the the part of the road that the tire is on has a noticeable crack or groove in it.
Old 02-14-07, 01:24 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On and off issues with 'tramlining' on our 250 AWD. Stock Bridgestone all seasons. It's rather annoying as we have not experienced this with the RX on the same roads, at same speeds.
Old 02-14-07, 01:55 PM
sybot666
Driver School Candidate

Yup, I had the same problem and Longo lexus first did the alignment then, ended up, replacing all 4 tires. The problem is not completely gone but it is much better than before so I'll hold off on bringing it back in.
Old 02-14-07, 02:07 PM
lexus250
Pole Position

I also have this problem, but it only happens now and then dont know whats wrong...or if thats how it is.
Old 02-14-07, 02:26 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

No problemos here either. I have an 06.
Old 02-14-07, 03:48 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

I've had some 'tramlining' with my 06, Dunlops, but not enough to worry about it.

Quick Reply: Does your 2IS pull left or right?