IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How usefull are the heated/cooled seats?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 12:30 PM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ yup thats correct
Old 02-14-07, 12:34 PM
scawacs
Driver

i've actually gotten more compliments on the perforated seats from my passengers than anything else
Old 02-14-07, 12:46 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
mine are great. edited for content.

You might want to review some forum rules outlined in the post below....thanks

ALL 2IS MEMBERS PLEASE READ: Establishing a sense of community in the 2 Gen IS forum

Hint: You'll find it near the top of the first page....

Last edited by LexFather; 02-15-07 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-14-07, 12:51 PM
dong888
Pole Position

Heated seats warms up quickly within 2-3 min. Ventilation (cool) feature is nice in addition to AC during a hot summer day in California. It is actually not AC coming out but just air; however, the air will circulate thru the clothes and prevent sweating on your back.
Old 02-14-07, 02:10 PM
LexusNut13
Pole Position

Originally Posted by neova
Heated seats, no matter how quickly it heats up, will NOT take away the initial shock of the cold leater seating surfaces when you first enter your car, unless you warm up the car and turn on the heated seats first beforehand.

Usually when you drive in the cold, you would dress accordingly. I usually wear a long coat which insulates my butt fromt he seating surfaces already, so heated seats or not, I don't feel the inital shock of the cold.

The same argument goes for the cooling aspect of the seat. You will still feel the burning hot leather when you first sit down, but after a while you'll feel the cooling effects of a ventilated seat.

The benefit of having a heated seat, depsite not helping much on the initial temperature shock, is that it will keep you warm. Since heat transfers from hotter to colder surfaces, you will lose body heat to the unheated seat. By having a heated seat, you wll better maintain body heat to stay warm.

Again, I wear a long coat in winter driving anyways, so I maintain (or sometimes gain too much!) bodyheat anyways. The down side is that it make driving a little bit more clumbersome, especially I have the 6-spd

If the car came with heated seats, i'd take it. But for me to get the heated seats up here in Canada we have to pay for the $9600 sports package, so hell no i can live with out it.
You just need the premium Leather Package to get heated seats on the manual 250. $5000. and on the AWD it is 3600. Don't ask me why the difference. I think on the manual version it also includes different tires.
Old 02-14-07, 07:43 PM
carvelo
Driver School Candidate

the ventilated seats make it feel like someone's blowing air on your [I don't want to get kicked out of this forum].
Old 02-14-07, 08:27 PM
MIAMIGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by carvelo
the ventilated seats make it feel like someone's blowing air on your [I don't want to get kicked out of this forum].
true............
Old 02-14-07, 10:16 PM
neova
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexusNut13
You just need the premium Leather Package to get heated seats on the manual 250. $5000. and on the AWD it is 3600. Don't ask me why the difference. I think on the manual version it also includes different tires.
Yes, but i want want sports suspension/wheels, and in order to have heated seats (not to mention HID's - another iteam i wanted) i have to get the sports package. In the U.S. you can get the x-package then add the lux package. I just don't understand why we don't have the flexibility in options here in Canada. Just make them stand allone options!
Old 02-15-07, 02:44 PM
IS350NIG
Driver School Candidate

heating works quick the cooling i dont even notice anymore
Old 02-15-07, 08:40 PM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Seat Coolers are the best test to see what the girl in the passenger seat has on without looking. If she goes WHY IS IT SO COLD?? You'll know there cant be much stopping the cold air
Old 02-16-07, 06:31 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

In the winter I couldn't live without the heated seats. I think the ventilations does help the heat penetrate your clothing better than it would without the ventilation. I haven't owned the car during the summer so have nothing to add about the ventilation in the warmer months.
Old 02-16-07, 06:44 AM
dajwilson
Driver

Like most of the other CL members have said; The seat heater has a bigger impact then the cooler but.......when it's hot out here in AZ, I can definitely feel the coolers and it keeps you from having swamp butt.
Old 02-16-07, 06:45 AM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Default Main benefit I've noticed

Is in the summer, with a black interior, when I'm dressed in business clothes, the full power cooling (level 3), really helps avoid continual perspiration onto clothing. A guy has to wear an undershirt of course, but when the car sits outside, with a black interior, even with 35% tint, that sucker's gonna be an oven to get back into. The air cooled ventilated seats are worth their weight in gold for this reason!
Old 02-16-07, 07:25 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishman06
I thought the heaters/ventilators were only in the seat bottom, meaning you wouldn't feeling anything in your back...?
Originally Posted by G35TOIS350
^^^ yup thats correct
Uh, no it isn't. Don't know about the ventilators, but my back was nice and toasty this morning; they are definitely heated.
Old 02-16-07, 07:34 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Solomoan
A guy has to wear an undershirt of course, but when the car sits outside, with a black interior, even with 35% tint, that sucker's gonna be an oven to get back into.
After reading comments like this, I sometimes wonder if I am driving a different car.

With the black leather baking in the sun on a hot summer day, the meager bit of air coming out of the seats after startup is as hot as a hair dryer on max. Which is fine because unless I'm wearing shorts, I don't feel it anyway.

The air cooled ventilated seats are worth their weight in gold for this reason!
Most of the time I can't even tell whether they are on or off. For that reason, I'm not even sure they're worth their weight in feces.

Quick Reply: How usefull are the heated/cooled seats?