IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How usefull are the heated/cooled seats?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 09:36 AM
IRCRomeo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How usefull are the heated/cooled seats?

I've driven my father's car a few times, a Buick Park Ave with heated seats. It feels like it takes forever to warm up, I'd say about 10 minutes until I really feel it.

So how does our IS perform? I'm getting my special order in about a week, but I'm curious to know ahead of time what I can expect out of the seats. I live in NE PA, and it's been freezing lately, even below zero. How long does it take to warm up/cool down?
Old 02-14-07, 09:47 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

For me, I find the heated seats get warm very quickly. With the temperature around 45 outside, if I get in the car, start it, turn on the seats, by the time I'm backing out of the garage, the seats are already warm.

As to the cooling effect, I find it useful but it usually takes about 10 to 15 minutes before you get the full effect. When the car has dumped enough cool air on the floor for the fan in the seat to pick up.

Hope that helps
Old 02-14-07, 09:49 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

mine are great.

Last edited by LexFather; 02-14-07 at 03:03 PM. Reason: **edited thread but must add I was lmao**
Old 02-14-07, 09:51 AM
n3w813
Driver School Candidate

Heated seats works great, warms in 2-3 minutes. Cooling doesn't have as big of an impact as the heated, IMO.
Old 02-14-07, 10:14 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SerKevin
For me, I find the heated seats get warm very quickly. With the temperature around 45 outside, if I get in the car, start it, turn on the seats, by the time I'm backing out of the garage, the seats are already warm.

As to the cooling effect, I find it useful but it usually takes about 10 to 15 minutes before you get the full effect. When the car has dumped enough cool air on the floor for the fan in the seat to pick up.

Hope that helps
Same. But once the cooling seats kick in they are great!
Old 02-14-07, 10:17 AM
inecstaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SerKevin

Hope that helps
For me its different. The heated seats take no more than 5 minutes... if that.

And when I switch on the ventilated seats its pretty fast.... I can feel them quickly.

The only time you won't feel them quickly is if you have the heater on... since it only circulates the air in the vehicle.
Old 02-14-07, 10:18 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The heating is VERY nice in the winter. Takes a couple minutes to feel them, but once you do, it's great.

The cooling is much less noticeable, but it's still nice. Especially when you're coming back from the gym, and wearing polyester basketball shorts.

I just wish I could feel the cooling on my back a little better...
Old 02-14-07, 10:28 AM
khoongy
Driver

i always turn on the cooler for 1st-timers in my car. its funny

the seat coolers are awesome when youre not wearing any boxers. or if your chick is wearing something thin. lol
Old 02-14-07, 10:43 AM
taylorjste
Pole Position

i was stoked when i found out the IS offered cooled seats.. to me there's nothing worse than the back sweat that comes with getting in a car that's been baking in the sun all day.. on the flip side, this is my first winter with heated seats and i have to say that i'm spoiled now.. the heated/cooled seats is on of my favorite interior features
Old 02-14-07, 11:11 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The heated seats are helpful and quick for me, but then again, it doesn't take too long to warm up here in SoCal...
Old 02-14-07, 11:12 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

The seats are ventilated, not cooled. I agree with taylorjste that the back sweat one gets on hot humid days is very annoying, but unfortunately the ventilated seats do little to alleviate it. The airstream coming through the holes is very weak, and until the car cools down is as hot as a hairdryer.

The seat heaters, on the other hand, are great. While not nearly as powerful as the ones on my Audi S4 (which were like heating pads on the higher numbers), they are strong enough to get the job done.
Old 02-14-07, 11:16 AM
LexusNut13
Pole Position

I haven't tried the cooler yet, too cold, but the heater is awsome. Only a few minutes and the seats are warm.
Old 02-14-07, 11:18 AM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

heater i can actually feel, but the coolers u have to wear something reall thin.. or nothing at all
Old 02-14-07, 11:19 AM
neova
Pole Position

Heated seats, no matter how quickly it heats up, will NOT take away the initial shock of the cold leater seating surfaces when you first enter your car, unless you warm up the car and turn on the heated seats first beforehand.

Usually when you drive in the cold, you would dress accordingly. I usually wear a long coat which insulates my butt fromt he seating surfaces already, so heated seats or not, I don't feel the inital shock of the cold.

The same argument goes for the cooling aspect of the seat. You will still feel the burning hot leather when you first sit down, but after a while you'll feel the cooling effects of a ventilated seat.

The benefit of having a heated seat, depsite not helping much on the initial temperature shock, is that it will keep you warm. Since heat transfers from hotter to colder surfaces, you will lose body heat to the unheated seat. By having a heated seat, you wll better maintain body heat to stay warm.

Again, I wear a long coat in winter driving anyways, so I maintain (or sometimes gain too much!) bodyheat anyways. The down side is that it make driving a little bit more clumbersome, especially I have the 6-spd

If the car came with heated seats, i'd take it. But for me to get the heated seats up here in Canada we have to pay for the $9600 sports package, so hell no i can live with out it.

Last edited by neova; 02-14-07 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-14-07, 12:09 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

I thought the heaters/ventilators were only in the seat bottom, meaning you wouldn't feeling anything in your back...?

Quick Reply: How usefull are the heated/cooled seats?