IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dashboard Creaking. Help me please

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 09:04 PM
tris300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same creaking sound with my dash. I have a 2007 IS350 w/nav. The creaking sound started at about 2K miles. I took it into the dealer for the 5K service and told them about the creaking near the front speaker and windshield. The dealer replicated the noise but couldn't find the problem. After two days, they brought in the field techs and they identified the problem as loose vents. I was told this was a problem they had identified on the GS. The field techs insulated all the vents with foam and the car has been perfect ever since.

I was really worried after they told me the dash had been completely removed to fix the problem. Everything is as tight as the day I bought it. I took it in on a Tuesday and got it back on Friday. They also said there was no TSB on this issue.
Old 02-14-07, 09:53 PM
is250rulez
Rookie

Originally Posted by tris300
I had the same creaking sound with my dash. I have a 2007 IS350 w/nav. The creaking sound started at about 2K miles. I took it into the dealer for the 5K service and told them about the creaking near the front speaker and windshield. The dealer replicated the noise but couldn't find the problem. After two days, they brought in the field techs and they identified the problem as loose vents. I was told this was a problem they had identified on the GS. The field techs insulated all the vents with foam and the car has been perfect ever since.

I was really worried after they told me the dash had been completely removed to fix the problem. Everything is as tight as the day I bought it. I took it in on a Tuesday and got it back on Friday. They also said there was no TSB on this issue.
Which dealer you brough to? I hope you live in the Bay Area.
Old 02-15-07, 05:31 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rroy
I have a single crack noise that occurs about once every half hour of driving. Sometimes it can be loud; and sounds like its coming from the center of the dash. This is no rattle, and not due to cold weather or a bumpy road. I reported it to my dealer and they're gonna take it for a drive when my car goes in for its 10k service. Anyone else having this issue?

My EXACT problem. I also have a 250 M/T. I recieved it July 1st 06, so it was built mid-may.

No other sounds/noises (other than the crappy clutch), so do I live with it, or risk them pulling the dash out and creating more noises?
Old 02-15-07, 06:25 AM
rroy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sailing217
My EXACT problem. I also have a 250 M/T. I recieved it July 1st 06, so it was built mid-may.

No other sounds/noises (other than the crappy clutch), so do I live with it, or risk them pulling the dash out and creating more noises?
hrmm, I picked up my August 11th.
Old 02-15-07, 06:30 AM
phattie
Driver School Candidate

I have a single crack noise that occurs about once every half hour of driving. Sometimes it can be loud; and sounds like its coming from the center of the dash. This is no rattle, and not due to cold weather or a bumpy road. I reported it to my dealer and they're gonna take it for a drive when my car goes in for its 10k service. Anyone else having this issue?
yes.. i have the same exact noise. it's very annoying, especially when someone is in the car and the radio is off.. it's like.. WHAT WAS THAT??!!.. try explaining to someone that this is just part of the enjoyment that comes with your bran new lexus.. obviously i'm kidding about that part. i tried to duplicate it for a technician but since the noise didn't happen during the test ride they didn't keep the car. the funny (or sad) part is that the moment i pulled out of the dealer's lot the loud pop came back!!!

Last edited by phattie; 02-20-07 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-20-07, 09:16 AM
rroy
Pole Position

My car is at the dealership today for this reason; all let you all know what the outcome is.

I narrowed it down to the plastic around the middle air vents. Next time you're in your car, push down on the plastic around the middle vents and check if you hear the same noise you experience while driving.
Old 02-20-07, 10:18 AM
is250rulez
Rookie

I just called the dealer today and will bring my car this Fri. As I know the noise sometimes comes up. SO what do I do to duplicate when I test-drive with the technician? Should I bring my car to a damnnnn bumpy road? : )
Will keep this update, and let see what comes out. THanks y'all.
Old 02-20-07, 12:24 PM
bturnbaugh
Driver

I have a small rattle behind my center driver side vent. When I went to the dealer for my 10,000 I told them about it. I was told, "yes there is rattles behind the dash, we have heard of them. Do you want us to open your dash to try to fix it?" Uumm, no . . Crackin open my dash to "try" to fix. I will live with it.
Old 02-20-07, 12:38 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have that loud crack form the center of the dash also. I think it's the vents... I need to wrap them in thick cloth and see if that fixes it... I need to do this one day.
Old 02-20-07, 01:14 PM
rroy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by is250rulez
I just called the dealer today and will bring my car this Fri. As I know the noise sometimes comes up. SO what do I do to duplicate when I test-drive with the technician? Should I bring my car to a damnnnn bumpy road? : )
Will keep this update, and let see what comes out. THanks y'all.
Instead of driving around with the tech, I let the guy take my car home from work. Each way is 50 miles on the highway for him so he better hear the noise! Plus they gave me an RX350 for the day

Also, bumpy roads didnt do it for me. It's always random.
Old 02-20-07, 03:07 PM
sk72
Pole Position

Originally Posted by phattie
yes.. i have the same exact noise. it's very annoying, especially when someone is in the car and the radio is off.. it's like.. WHAT WAS THAT??!!.. try explaining to someone that this is just part of the enjoyment that comes with your bran new lexus.. obviously i'm kidding about that part. i tried to duplicate it for a technician but since the noise didn't happen during the test ride they didn't keep the car. the funny (or sad) part is that the moment i pulled out of the dealer's lot the loud pop came back!!!

I have this issue as well.. it is not creaking but a loud knock noise right at the center of my dash near the center speaker.. it comes like 20 minutes once.. I did bring it to the dealer once and they coud not replicate the problem, but the dealer said get a more precise location where the noise is coming from and bring it in.. and he is going to have the tech drive the car home so he could replicate the issue and find a fix for that... darn it really annoys me and my wife now!!!

It sounds like a stone is hitting the car..
Old 02-20-07, 03:13 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of driving around with the tech, I let the guy take my car home from work. Each way is 50 miles on the highway for him so he better hear the noise! Plus they gave me an RX350 for the day

Also, bumpy roads didnt do it for me. It's always random.

little off subject, but do most of you let the techs take your car for drives? I think i'd let a tech take my car, but only if i'm in it with them. I would never let them take it home for a night. I'm sure he'll be red lined all the way home...i would if i were a tech.

what are your thoughts? I can start a new post if needed...sorry to get off subject
Old 02-20-07, 03:48 PM
rroy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sk72
It sounds like a stone is hitting the car..
That's how i described it... exact sound pretty much

I dont have a problem with the tech bringing it home... he just better know how to drive a manual.

Once I have my wheels on i'll probably think otherwise
Old 02-20-07, 03:50 PM
is250rulez
Rookie

Originally Posted by Andoskyy
little off subject, but do most of you let the techs take your car for drives? I think i'd let a tech take my car, but only if i'm in it with them. I would never let them take it home for a night. I'm sure he'll be red lined all the way home...i would if i were a tech.

what are your thoughts? I can start a new post if needed...sorry to get off subject
I shoot him to death if he red-lines my car.
Old 02-20-07, 04:07 PM
NGG
Pole Position

To all those with IS dash rattles:

Some time ago on this forum there were two seperate threads dealing with this subject and detailing remedies. One dealt with the stone sounding crack/rattle near the centre of the top of the dash near the windshield. I seem to remember there is a TSB on this and it related to clips near the glass. Ask your dealer about a TSB or do a web search.

The second one dealt with rattles coming from the side vents on the dash. A CL member was able to pinpoint the specific source and detailed the fix with pics illustrating the fix procedure. Suggest you do a search, print the post and take it to your dealer. That way the fix is under warranty.

Hope this helps...let us know progress. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Dashboard Creaking. Help me please