*HELP*- Strong Vibration *HELP*

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 04:47 PM
Sarorn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *HELP*- Strong Vibration *HELP*

Hi everyone,
I'm experiencing very strong vibrations on my steering wheel, pedals, seat, the whole car when driving on the highway going over 80km per hour (55-60miles/hour). I drove the car on the highway during my lunch and it was fine, no vibrations. But after work while driving home, as soon as I got on the highway I felt a very strong vibration, the whole car shakes and I cant go over 80km/hour or it will just shake even harder.

A million scenarios are swirling through my head right now:
Did one of my tires lose one of its counter weights?
Did I mess up the alignment somehow? But how?, it was fine.
Are one of my tire pressures too low? No indication on display though.
Rims bent? I dont think so, didnt hit any big big pot holes during lunch.

Should I drive it to the dealer tomorrow morning, or should I get it towed? I have to go on the highway to get to work and the dealership; as a matter of fact, I work across the street from the dealership, so I have to get there no matter what. Will I cause more damage if I drive it? City driving at around 40km/hour is fine, cant really feel it, only when I speed up.

Can anyone shed some light?
Thanks!
-Sarorn
Old 02-14-07, 05:07 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it bothers you a lot then just call lexus roadside assistance to pick it up. its free [or it should be anyway] but i would just drive it up there.
Old 02-14-07, 05:14 PM
Sarorn
Driver

Originally Posted by PNice972
if it bothers you a lot then just call lexus roadside assistance to pick it up. its free [or it should be anyway] but i would just drive it up there.
Of course it bothers me....it feels like I'm driving through an earthquake! I just might have it towed. But its killing me not know what it is.
Old 02-14-07, 05:20 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You're certainly free to call roadside assistance, but you might want to just take a look at the car first. Are there any obvious wheel weights missing (adhesive still attached to the wheel, etc.)? Did you check your pressures to make sure one tire isn't low?

It doesn't hurt to take care of the absolute basics before calling roadside assistance. Stop the scenarios from swirling around in your head and just go check the tires.

By the way, there are other causes of vibration that are less common (motor mounts, tie rod ends, etc.), but I'd be surprised if any of these issues were occuring on a 2006.

Last edited by 15951; 02-14-07 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-14-07, 05:25 PM
Sarorn
Driver

Originally Posted by 15951
You're certainly free to call roadside assistance, but you might want to just take a look at the car first. Are there any obvious wheel weights missing (adhesive still attached to the wheel, etc.)? Did you check your pressures to make sure one tire isn't low?

It doesn't hurt to take care of the absolute basics before calling roadside assistance. Stop the scenarios from swirling around in your head and just go check the tires.
I must've walked around the car 20 times. All the weights are on the car. Tire pressure seems to be normal. If its low, wouldnt the TPMS tell me? The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking that one of my tire belts broke. Could it be? On such a new tire? I've only gotten 8700km on it.
Old 02-14-07, 05:40 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the emergency brake OFF? If it is even partially engaged it can cause a shudder as the pads drag.
Old 02-14-07, 05:45 PM
Sarorn
Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Is the emergency brake OFF? If it is even partially engaged it can cause a shudder as the pads drag.
From what I can tell, yes the E brake is off. No E brake light is on. Although, it could be a possibility. I might take it out for another spin on the expressway before I go to bed tonight.
Old 02-14-07, 06:04 PM
AFE712
Driver School Candidate

Hi, first post here :-)

The vibration you have seems like ice-snow stuck inside a wheel. It happens to me often in winter. Maybe?
Old 02-14-07, 06:12 PM
Sarorn
Driver

Originally Posted by AFE712

The vibration you have seems like ice-snow stuck inside a wheel. It happens to me often in winter. Maybe?
It's funny you mention that because we just had a very big snow storm and when I first pulled over I noticed that the wheel was rubbing against the ice/snow that froze to the wheel wells...but after knocken them off, I still get a very strong vibration through out the car. What do you mean by inside the weel?
Old 02-14-07, 06:16 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

I was going to suggest the same thing. I've had it happen to other cars, though not the Lexus yet. (And yes, the buildup is on the inside of the wheel(s).
Old 02-14-07, 06:46 PM
Sarorn
Driver

Oh Mylanta!!! You are RIGHT!!! I just removed about 5lb's worth of ice and snow from inside my right front tire...took it out for a spin on the expressway and it rides perfectly fine!!!!

You guys saved me from a lot of embarassment at the dealership as I know by morning the snow and ice would melt and there's no way I could replicate the vibrations again for the technicians.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Attached Thumbnails *HELP*- Strong Vibration *HELP*-img_1901.jpg  
Old 02-16-07, 10:05 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

WOW, this just happened to me! I was freakin out checked all the tire pressures i cleaned out the snow stuck in the wheel well, and vibration was still there...going back outside to clean out the snow on the "inside" of the rims. duh...

Glad I searched on the forum before callin' the dealer...thanks guys!
Old 02-16-07, 11:06 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

This thread should be added to the FAQ! Great info. I didn't realize it was so easy for ice/snow to get in the wheel.
Old 02-16-07, 01:01 PM
kryolla
Rookie

This just happen to me yesterday. We just got a snow / ice storm in the northeast and my car was shaking pretty bad. I couldnt go over 50mph. Got to work and find a lot of ice stuck in the front driver side rim, knocked it off and the vibration stopped. Same thing happened to my wifes car. Lesson learned
Old 02-16-07, 01:52 PM
Sarorn
Driver

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
This thread should be added to the FAQ! Great info. I didn't realize it was so easy for ice/snow to get in the wheel.
I agree! I've never had this problem with any other car I have owned, but just as long as I know its only snow inside the rims, I'm cool with it!

I was freaking out like crazy when I first got the vibrations though!!