IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help my whole car has orange peel on paint !

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 10:58 PM
Shaft350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i feel so dumb ryte now...but wtf is orange peel?!
Old 02-15-07, 12:07 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaft350
i feel so dumb ryte now...but wtf is orange peel?!
hahaha... stoopid.... orange peel is.........uh....

i dunno either.. i guess i'll wait for the pictures with you

i have a black car too.. i hope i don't have it.
Old 02-15-07, 12:54 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I won't settle for no orangeness in no orange colored car.

I too shall wait to view the visual presentation.
Old 02-15-07, 03:05 AM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by accelerate
Just in case all you havent noticed 99.9% of cars on the road today have some orange peel. The question is how noticable is it. I have seen it on my car somtimes when the light hits it just right. But that doesn't happen very often. No big deal.
Can't agree. I don't know where you live but in PR that is not a normal phenomenon is an exception. Orange peel is an abnormality that occurs on a painted surfaces typically the result of improper painting technique, and is caused by the quick evaporation of thinner, incorrect spray gun setup (e.g., low air pressure or incorrect nozzle), spraying the paint at an angle other than perpendicular, or applying excessive paint. This is unacceptable for the Lexus brand in a car less than one year.

Last edited by warrionex; 02-15-07 at 03:19 AM.
Old 02-15-07, 04:26 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 9520G
its normal they all have a bit of orange peel, the new LS is the only one that gets wet sanded.
What's odd, as cheap as they are, I've never seen orange peel on a TC. The whole car reflects like glass. By far, the most beautiful factory paint job I've ever seen.
Old 02-15-07, 06:19 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it looks like orange peel with dimples in the finnish. Hence orange peel..... a good wet sand should knock that down, however since the black is a single stage i dont know, it may need to be re shot sinc the clear is intergrated.
get them to buy the car back
have it professionally wet sanded
or repainted......
talk to the dealer, dont tell them what it is, ask them "what is this"? and dont get offensive, they will be less likely to help you, but since its a relativly new car you should be ok.
When i bought mine it had swirl marks all over it, they paid to buff it like 4 times until i was happy.... i have black to.

yes it is unacceptable for a lexus to have this being a new car......
Old 02-15-07, 06:29 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warrionex
Can't agree. I don't know where you live but in PR that is not a normal phenomenon is an exception. Orange peel is an abnormality that occurs on a painted surfaces typically the result of improper painting technique, and is caused by the quick evaporation of thinner, incorrect spray gun setup (e.g., low air pressure or incorrect nozzle), spraying the paint at an angle other than perpendicular, or applying excessive paint. This is unacceptable for the Lexus brand in a car less than one year.
Well, the orange peel on the Lexus isn't at bad as the pictures you posted, but it has been a part of Lexus paint for quite a few years now. My newest Lexus is a 2004 and it has orange peel in the paint when bought new. I've looked at a lot of other new Lexus cars on the dealers not since then and they all have it. Well, like someone mentioned the new LS seems to be really good. Orange peel is just a fact of life on most new cars today.
If you search nearly every sub car forum here you will find posts about orange peel on their new Lexus. Every few months a new topic like this pops up.
Old 02-15-07, 07:52 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Oh now I'm concerned. LOL I'll have to look at my car..
Old 02-15-07, 08:04 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
however since the black is a single stage i dont know,
Where are people hearing that black is single stage?

As mentioned in many threads such as this one: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225921 the black on the IS is two stage with clear coat.
Old 02-15-07, 08:56 AM
uthatch
Driver

^^^Right, no Lexus or any new car that comes to mind, is a single stage.

You guys shouldn't really freak about the orange peel. EVERY new car, save Bentley's, RR's, and a few others that are hand sanded, have some amount of orange peel.

You should take a good look at the new GM SUV's and trucks. It's incredible how crappy the paint is. My dad just bought one and it's just sad. He also just bought a 2007 S550 and that paint too is nothing to write home about. Loads of orange peel. I still say Lexus is the best I've seen in mass produced vehicle paint jobs-especially the new LS which is robot sanded.

So the real question is warrionex's paint worse than normal? You can only tell by comparing with orther IS's. From the pics it looks pretty shabby. But again, only a direct comparision with other IS's can tell for sure.

Unfortunately orange peel is a way of life for car manufacturers. VOC regulations and the need to produce these cars quickly makes the tolerance for paint defects pretty high.
Old 02-15-07, 09:18 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Another vote for 'it's normal' and the vast majority have it to some degree.
Old 02-15-07, 11:24 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by uthatch
So the real question is warrionex's paint worse than normal? You can only tell by comparing with orther IS's. From the pics it looks pretty shabby. But again, only a direct comparision with other IS's can tell for sure.
I think you are confused. Warrionex isn't the one with the orange peel problem, the original poster "MIAMIS250" is. Warrionex just responded to those who asked what orange peel is by posting pictures of orange peeled paint jobs (that aren't even on Lexus cars) from the Sherwin-Williams and paintprotection.com.au websites.

Last edited by Bichon; 02-15-07 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-15-07, 11:39 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

we can thank the EPA for the ****ty paint jobs nowadays.
Old 02-15-07, 12:14 PM
joyriide
Driver School Candidate

Orange peel is now a thing with all cars. Even Bently Continental GT's have them and theres no way around it. Wetsanding can help, but what if the Orange Peel is in the base coat and not the clear?

Lexus seems to have better paint jobs than BMW thats for sure (atleast form what Ive seen).

Heres my ex $74k X5 4.8is, BMW made no exception...

All while my sisters Audi has a flatter look in the majority of panels.
Old 02-15-07, 12:27 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by joyriide
Heres my ex $74k X5 4.8is, BMW made no exception...

[/IMG]
Wow, that's atrocious! I'd expect that kind of quality from Maaco or Earl Sheib, but not from a quality paint shop, and certainly not from the manufacturer.

Quick Reply: Help my whole car has orange peel on paint !