IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

07 IS 250 Wind noises??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-07, 02:08 PM
Suitopi21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 IS 250 Wind noises??

Anyone with the 07 IS 250 hearing any wind noises when on the freeway? Not sure if it's just me, Im pretty sure I hear something though, never noticed it before when I had my music on, just heard it yesterday and I'm barely at 1500 miles. Is that a problem that can be easily fixed? I recently had some scratches repaired at Marcos Auto body in San gabriel, they came highly recommended. It could be when they took off my doors to repaint they didn't fit the door back tightly enough. Anyone have any input on my problem?
Old 02-15-07, 02:12 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

On windy days I hear a very subtle whistle. I think we credited that to the door handles. But thats also going like 80mph on the I-state
Old 02-15-07, 02:13 PM
taminatorv
Driver School Candidate

I have about 700miles on mine and think this is the quietest car I have ever owned. This is my 14th car, so I think that says something. There is a little bit of wind noise, but it's very faint.

Do you mean noise possibly caused by a leaking seal?
Old 02-15-07, 02:16 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by taminatorv
I have about 700miles on mine and think this is the quietest car I have ever owned. This is my 14th car, so I think that says something. There is a little bit of wind noise, but it's very faint.

Do you mean noise possibly caused by a leaking seal?
Nope its a definite low.. very low whistle.

And like I said I have only heard it when the wind is pushing my car all over the I-State. Other than that.. and the road noise its a very quiet car.
Old 02-15-07, 02:28 PM
Suitopi21
Driver School Candidate

yeah on mine, i hear it on the freeway when going about 70 or above. but i don't heard it from the driver side, only the passenger side. i'm not too educated on cars, but i would think a brand new lexus should be dead silent right? especially if i'm only hearing on the passenger side and this is on the regular freeway where it's not that windy. i could understand it if i was driving it somewhere really windy and was going really fast, but like i said doesn't that mean i should have heard it around the whole car and not just on the passenger side? yeah it's a wind whistle sound. i'm thinking when they put my passenger doors back they didn't seal it correctly or tightly enough. but overall yes it is a quiet car. although the engine is slightly louder then i expected, but lexus dealers said the new 07 models have different engine ignitions and unfortunately is a little loud and a lot of customers aren't use to it.
Old 02-15-07, 02:31 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

^^^

To add to what I said.. when its windy and I'm getting pushed all over the road I can hear it coming from more than just my drivers side. It maybe a seal for you.
Old 02-15-07, 02:32 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With moonroof closed but its screen open, there is significantly more wind noise in the cabin, especially when driving at high speeds.

I only notice wind noise when driving without the radio on. Otherwise, the wind noise is negligible for me.
Old 02-15-07, 02:54 PM
neova
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Suitopi21
i would think a brand new lexus should be dead silent right?
well, not if you took your car to a non-Lexus dealer to take of your door to fix scratches. So that is questionable.

I only hear faint noise in teh cabin, it's a very quiet car. if you have moon roof make sure you shut the shade because it helps with the sound insulation.

Just take it to the lexus dealer and explain that you have had the door taken off ad ask them to check if the door is loose or any insulation parts is missing during the re-install.
Old 02-15-07, 02:57 PM
taminatorv
Driver School Candidate

Since I've owned mostly sports and GT cars in the past, the IS250 seems eerily quiet to me. Excluding my wife's car, the quietest car I've owned before was a 99 BMW M3. The loudest for wind noise was my '00 Mazda Miata and the loudest for engine/exhaust noise goes to my 97 Chevy Camaro SS. If you want to appreciate how quiet our cars are, go drive an old Miata with a loud exhaust for a week.
Old 02-15-07, 05:18 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear nothing quietest car ever
Old 02-16-07, 12:24 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

not that i know of.....
Old 02-16-07, 02:58 AM
lexuspdx
Pole Position

Mine just hit 3K and I too hear a faint whistle/whispering noise when the radio is off or my phone kicks on. I thought it was from the freeway. I'm glad somebody else hears it and it's not a ghost in my car!
Old 02-16-07, 07:15 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we have IS250 and IS350 and my girl's 250 have a lot more wind noise than mine. I know having some wind noise on cars is normal but I can hear her wind noise at 40mph up at the pass windshield....
Old 02-16-07, 06:08 PM
crazy_vag
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
With moonroof closed but its screen open, there is significantly more wind noise in the cabin, especially when driving at high speeds.

I only notice wind noise when driving without the radio on. Otherwise, the wind noise is negligible for me.
I got an '06 IS 350, and I really dislike the windnoise coming for moonroof closed but screen open. Closing the screen gets rid of the noise completely. This only becomes a problem at speeds over 70mph, but is still annoying.

Is this something I should bug the dealer about? Is the same problem prevelant on '07 editions?
Old 02-16-07, 07:35 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by crazy_vag
Is this something I should bug the dealer about? Is the same problem prevelant on '07 editions?
I don't think we can bug the dealer about wind noise unless if your car is the only one with excessive wind noise.

If we were that annoyed by the wind noise, we should have bought the LS. The IS is not the most quiet car in the Lexus lineup...

If I had a choice, I would have preferred no moonroof at all. In fact, when I Special Ordered the car, I chose one without a moonroof. Unfortunately, all '06 IS had a moonroof standard (in the U.S.), so mine came along with one.

Quick Reply: 07 IS 250 Wind noises??