IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Good for the Goose (IS 350), Good for the Gander (IS250AWD)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-07, 04:18 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusNut13
I think Lexus understood the segment better then most people think.
I think there are some misses in their understanding.

They associate manual transmission with "economy car" not with "driver's car".
They associate all wheel drive with foul weather driving, not with high performance driving (a la Audi Quattro, Subaru WRX and Mitsu EVO)
Old 02-16-07, 05:04 PM
LexusNut13
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
I think there are some misses in their understanding.

They associate manual transmission with "economy car" not with "driver's car".
They associate all wheel drive with foul weather driving, not with high performance driving (a la Audi Quattro, Subaru WRX and Mitsu EVO)
I totaly agree with you that the segment exists. But Toyota is all about profitability, and I belive they they already explained in a Q&A they didn't think this segment was big enough to justify the R&D dollars. This came from the canadian site by the way.

Why isn't All-Wheel-Drive available on the IS 350?

There's no doubt AWD contributes to improved driving security--especially in inclement weather, and the IS 250 AWD is designed to meet the higher sales volume we expect from prospective consumers. The IS 350 is a lower volume vehicle and our research indicates the majority of buyers looking for high-performance luxury sport sedans want rear-wheel drive.
Old 02-17-07, 05:45 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Their was a spot on Fifth Gear last year comparing FWD, RWD and AWD on sports cars. They tested how fast they could handle a roundabout. I forgot what the FWD was but the RWD and AWD was both BMW's 3 series. Surprisingly (or not) the one that could go faster in the circle without loosing grip was the RWD. Somethiing about the front wheels binding with the back wheels.

The only time I would take a AWD sports car is if it has 500+ HP. Even then, it removes so much of the fun and feel...
Old 02-17-07, 06:01 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i plan to keep my IS for 6-8 years or as long as I can, I dont think 204 hp will last me that long
Old 02-17-07, 07:33 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by phatboyc
Their was a spot on Fifth Gear last year comparing FWD, RWD and AWD on sports cars. They tested how fast they could handle a roundabout. I forgot what the FWD was but the RWD and AWD was both BMW's 3 series. Surprisingly (or not) the one that could go faster in the circle without loosing grip was the RWD. Somethiing about the front wheels binding with the back wheels.

The only time I would take a AWD sports car is if it has 500+ HP. Even then, it removes so much of the fun and feel...
Check out the Fifth gear episode where they brought both an M3 and an Audi RS4 to the track. The M3 driver was working a lot harder (and probably having more fun), but the the AWD RS4 was getting around the track faster every time.

As for "the front wheels binding with the back"; I didn't see that episode, but realize that there are a lot of different AWD systems out there, and not all are equally suited to high performance driving.
Old 02-17-07, 10:39 AM
LexusNut13
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
Check out the Fifth gear episode where they brought both an M3 and an Audi RS4 to the track. The M3 driver was working a lot harder (and probably having more fun), but the the AWD RS4 was getting around the track faster every time.

As for "the front wheels binding with the back"; I didn't see that episode, but realize that there are a lot of different AWD systems out there, and not all are equally suited to high performance driving.
I think this is the one you are reffering to. they both looked like they were having fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bfnc5RbcdE
Old 02-17-07, 12:53 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LexusNut13
I think this is the one you are reffering to. they both looked like they were having fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bfnc5RbcdE
Yep, that's the one, thanks!
Old 02-17-07, 10:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,955 Likes on 2,395 Posts

I'd hardly call it a fair test. They should be equal power to be fair. There's no way equal power AWD will win over expertly driven RWD.
Old 02-18-07, 10:44 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

I found the video of FWD vs AWD vs RWD. It's actually quite older than I remembered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26eSsBcDwCg
Old 02-18-07, 10:53 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'd hardly call it a fair test. They should be equal power to be fair. There's no way equal power AWD will win over expertly driven RWD.
I'm with Lobuxracer on this one. I have seen this video before. Not a fair test but great entertainment!
Old 02-18-07, 11:28 AM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
yeah but lexu sshould have done what infiniti did and offered an AWD is350, for people who live in colder climates. just another case of lexus not taking this segment seriously.
Yep........is that why their the best selling luxury car brand in the US? Just wondering.

I think Lexus knows exactly what their doing. You want a high perform ace car you go with the IS350. If you want the economy and the looks of a performance car you go with the IS250 and/or IS250AWD. A no-brainer for me.

With the world becoming more and more 'green' I think you'll find Lexus at or near the top in this segment worldwide within ten years. JMHO and no I'm not arguing the point here......just expressing an opinion!

Lexus was just named the best luxury car brand in the UK and the head guy when asked why they don't import the IS350 replied something to the following: We feel the arrogance of super high performance cars and such is a dying breed and that Lexus is committed to bringing to market solid cars that enhance rather than distract from the environment.