IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Low 13sec IS-350?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-07, 06:11 PM
D-man
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low 13sec IS-350?

New to this Forum, but I am on other Cadillac, Corvette forums (I know... I know...). My wife loves this car and I told her the only way we were getting one is if it is the 350. "I" have ONLY owned GM cars in the past. My wife currently has a leased car that is up this month. Do to future circumstances I may actually end up driving this vehicle and she may start driving my Escalade.

I also currenty drive/own an NHRA Super-comp car (8.90 class), so I am kind of a straight-line nut. I have been looking at the GC SRT-8 (Jeep Grand Cherokee) because a smaller SUV "was" going to serve our purpose, and "I" wanted it because it is a "13sec" SUV.

OK, now that the intro is over, this looks like the best forum I have found for the Lexus base. You guys really know your stuff and I get the "MOD-BUG" for every car I have ever owned and the forum community has always been the best place to get this info from.

Also, the technological advancements seem to be so much greater than our american cars too, (IN OTHER WORDS - I "LOVE" all the gadgets this car has)

So, my question is this.... I have seen (3) members on this board that are posting 13.3 and 13.2 second T.S's here with, what looks like, "very" minimal bolt-ons. No H/C pacakges, port work, spray. I havent even seen any ECM programming done except for one guy making his own programming. So how are you guys getting a second off the factory reported ET with almost no mods?

I can "DEFINATELY" handle a low 13sec luxury sedan to drive around in because that means that high 12's are well within the possiblity without Spray or FI. and we really can't wait for the IS-F to come out.

D-man

Last edited by D-man; 02-17-07 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-17-07, 07:01 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

most of the answers are in the custom exhaust thread baseed on other manufactures in the performance section.

Also, they said this car was 0-60 in 6.3 and 5.8. Well they retested and got 4.9 Too many varibles.

I always tell people these cars are faster then they think. I have YET been beat by a mustang, or m3 in a race.

Gernby got a 13.09 today. I am pretty sure within a couple of months someone is going to get a 12 second 1/4 without F/I.

Last edited by combfilter; 02-17-07 at 07:03 PM. Reason: oh yea
Old 02-17-07, 09:08 PM
gassman
Pole Position

M3s can't touch this car, esp if you help it breath and fart better.
Old 02-17-07, 11:42 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

I got there late, and think I saw Gernby's last run today - something like 13.212? Was going over to meet him, but after I got teched, he was gone. Today was my first attempt on a track, and I got 13.679 on my first run. Totally stock, with golf clubs, etc in the trunk. Ran 4 times, and each got slower - down to 13.958. Kind of fun!
Old 02-17-07, 11:50 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The IS350's engine is a beast of its own. Its power on the top end is what pulls the car to a 13 second run. It's even quicker than a GS430 because of that reason. the GS430 has about the same peak power, but it runs out of breath on the top end where as the IS350 keeps on pumping. Not to mention, the IS350's tranmission is fantastic. Definitely not the same kind of laziness found in previous Lexus transmissions.
Old 02-18-07, 06:59 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Basically this car with ideal weather conditions and removing the spare should get you a consistent mid 13 second run. Add a JOEZ intake pipe to help out a bit, but it's probably not worth too much power. Now pull the second set of cats and replace the mufflers with something higher flowing and you should be able to hit a consistent low 13 second run. Throw on some sticky tires and now we have found out you can hit a 13 flat and with more practice 12's are within reach.
Old 02-18-07, 08:01 AM
D-man
Driver School Candidate

Thanks or the initial info. So what I am hearing is that the 14.2sec 1/4 times that the manufacturer states is "extremely" under-rated??

Originally Posted by combfilter
Gernby got a 13.09 today. I am pretty sure within a couple of months someone is going to get a 12 second 1/4 without F/I.
13.09?? No spray??? No "internal" mods .... What altitude (Or D.A.) is this track at in Tx?

What are the avg. 60' times (Not 0-60mph)?? Anyone under 2.00?

I think I am sold

D-man
Old 02-18-07, 08:37 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

D-Man

Check this link out. Most of the times are listed along with the mods. So far none of the posts on drag times are with any FI or spray. All stock engines. http://www.dragtimes.com/Lexus--IS350-Drag-Racing.html
Old 02-18-07, 12:46 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

at 3300ft.( 6600ft. d.a)I ran 14 to 14.5, Mustang GT's run 14.5-15, Fbody's run 13.8 -14.3 and C-5's run13.3-13.8 All stock.I owned a 01 Z-28 with cam, heads,LT headers etc . I miss the sound of a V-8 but not the loudness of headers and a cam (usually). The IS is a great car, quick, nice looking, good craftsmanship it's satisfying to own. One thing though I'm 6'2 so the rear seats in the IS don't really have much more room that the Z-28 but they're easyier to get into because of the door. Back to performance I've race three mustang's 2 older 4.6's and 1 new 4.6 beat all three by 1/2 to 3/4 sec the new GT was so pissed he didn't even stop at the booth to get his slip!!! Man, that makes you feel so good you laugh! What I'm saying I'm not disappointed in the IS 350 it's a blast to drive.
Old 02-18-07, 10:42 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
The IS350's engine is a beast of its own. Its power on the top end is what pulls the car to a 13 second run. It's even quicker than a GS430 because of that reason. the GS430 has about the same peak power, but it runs out of breath on the top end where as the IS350 keeps on pumping. Not to mention, the IS350's tranmission is fantastic. Definitely not the same kind of laziness found in previous Lexus transmissions.

Hummm really? The power on the top end pulls the car to a 13 sec run? I keep thinking its the initial jump and good 2nd and 3rd gearing that gives the IS the decent 1/4 mile times... like the quick acceleration in the lower speeds make up for the loss in the higher end. I have problems beating 545s and 550s after 80mph. I can keep up but I cant beat them. Below 80mph the IS beats them, i notice I start pulling ever so slightly. I'm no expert in straight line racing but I've ran them before for fun and that was the result.

Plus with a 0 to 60 in 5.00 sec or a tick over I would think the 1/4 mile time should be a closer to the low low 13s rather than the mid 13s. So it looks like the IS is losing steam towards the upper speeds hence the little extra time to reach teh 1/4th.

Oh and not to mention the 1/4 trap speed... its low... its at 100mph ish... while other cars with 0 to 60s in the 5.00 sec is at 106mph ish... a tad higher
Old 02-18-07, 10:46 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gassman
M3s can't touch this car, esp if you help it breath and fart better.
Lol, that's a pretty funny analogy . Yeah, the IS350 owns pretty well. I will definitely be looking forward to an IS350 or IS-F equivalent by Lexus after I get the IS250 paid off.
Old 02-19-07, 05:13 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D-man
Thanks or the initial info. So what I am hearing is that the 14.2sec 1/4 times that the manufacturer states is "extremely" under-rated??

13.09?? No spray??? No "internal" mods .... What altitude (Or D.A.) is this track at in Tx?

What are the avg. 60' times (Not 0-60mph)?? Anyone under 2.00?

I think I am sold

D-man
Keep in mind, although Gernbys's car is basically stock, his latest 1/4 mile time slip was not done in "full street trim". He's worked very hard to "coax" the car into the low 13's. Intake, exhaust, no secondary cats, no spare, no floor mats, empty glove box, 1/8 tank of gas, and let's not forget his latest mod, smaller diameter rear drag radials. Add to that all the experience and practice he's had dragging the car and you begin to see how he does it. Basically, as driven off the showroom floor, the car is good for 13.6 to 13.7.
Old 02-19-07, 05:30 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Keep in mind, although Gernbys's car is basically stock, his latest 1/4 mile time slip was not done in "full street trim". He's worked very hard to "coax" the car into the low 13's. Intake, exhaust, no secondary cats, no spare, no floor mats, empty glove box, 1/8 tank of gas, and let's not forget his latest mod, smaller diameter rear drag radials. Add to that all the experience and practice he's had dragging the car and you begin to see how he does it. Basically, as driven off the showroom floor, the car is good for 13.6 to 13.7.
He actually did it on competition tires that are not designed for drag racing. He also pulled out the front seat to compensate for his 200+lb body weight. Oh and this was only his 2nd or 3rd time drag racing.

Also to note, I believe the car stock is actually good for 13.4-13.6's. Several people have run 13.5's bone stock.
Old 02-19-07, 09:07 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yea i have seen bone stock do 13.5's. I was getting 8.8's (1/8th mile) bone stock with 1000 miles on my engine. That's around the mid 13's.

I bet once my car is broke in, I can get very very low 13's like 13.00 - 13.2 with full trim.
Old 02-20-07, 06:47 AM
D-man
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caymandive
He actually did it on competition tires that are not designed for drag racing. He also pulled out the front seat to compensate for his 200+lb body weight. Oh and this was only his 2nd or 3rd time drag racing.

Also to note, I believe the car stock is actually good for 13.4-13.6's. Several people have run 13.5's bone stock.
Yeh, I saw he (Gernby) was running D.O.T. rubber (Hoosiers), but I didn't know he dropped weight. Still every "review" site basically states the same thing.... The IS runs a 14.2. It sounds like they are a good .5sec faster in stock running gear. This is usually the opposite for the review mags.

Originally Posted by caymandive
D-Man

Check this link out. Most of the times are listed along with the mods. So far none of the posts on drag times are with any FI or spray. All stock engines. http://www.dragtimes.com/Lexus--IS350-Drag-Racing.html.
Yeh, I have been on this site a few times but I never would have put "drag-times" and Lexus" in the same mind-set, ya know!

Yep, I think I'm sold. I can kill two birds here by getting my wife the car she likes (don't get me wrong, I love it too, I have just been a GM loyalist my whole life), AND I can mod it. Maybe she won't notice. It looks like I may be driving it for work purposes for the first 6-10 mos. while she drives my lade, anyway.

That should give me enough time to get the car into the 12's ????. Pending the aftermarket, of course.

Now, I just have to find one. Looks like they are pretty scarce here in So.Cal, to get the options/colors you want anyway...

"D-man"

Quick Reply: Low 13sec IS-350?