IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Remote battery life

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 03:49 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Remote battery life

Has anyone gone through a life of their remote battery?

Just want to get some estimates on how long the battery on the remote lasts.
Old 02-18-07, 04:53 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think anyone's car is old enough for the battery to go dead. I would guess that it would last at least a couple of years.
Old 02-18-07, 06:46 AM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The manual states that the remote battery should last around 2 years.
Old 02-18-07, 07:39 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

One of mine went dead prematurely after just 2 1/2 months. The replacement is still going strong a year later, so it must have been a dud cell. Read my original thread, it has lots of good information including battery type and availability: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=202623
Old 02-18-07, 08:30 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Hmmm, this is a concern. I may just have to buy some spare batteries just in case should I get locked out of my car. The mechanical key inside it should open the doors and the dealer told me that there should always be enough charge to start the engine (by holding the transponder next to the Start button--lol, sounds like talking about Windows Vista).
Old 02-18-07, 09:00 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TRDCorolla
Hmmm, this is a concern. I may just have to buy some spare batteries just in case should I get locked out of my car.
That's what I did. I'd rather not deal with popping off and replacing the painted cover over the mechanical door lock, for fear that in the heat of frustration it will get scratched, dropped, stepped on, or lost. As you know, Murphy's law predicts that you'll be doing this when it's dark, pouring raining, wind blowing, etc.

the dealer told me that there should always be enough charge to start the engine
Nope, not how it works. It uses passive RFID. When you hold it next to the start button, the reader generates a strong electromagnetic field that induces a current in a coil in the fob, which powers the dead key long enough to start the engine.

Most electric toothbrushes are charged this way. No direct electrical connection -- the charging base induces a current in a coil in the toothbrush handle.
Old 02-18-07, 09:27 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

So no matter how dead the battery is, it will always start the car? Is this frequency generated by the car itself or the transponder?
Old 02-18-07, 10:45 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TRDCorolla
So no matter how dead the battery is, it will always start the car? Is this frequency generated by the car itself or the transponder?
You can take the battery entirely out of the key fob, hold it next to the start button, and it will still start the car. The reader (behind the start button) generates a strong electromagnetic field, a coil in the key fob uses that induced energy to power the transponder (in place of the battery).
Old 02-18-07, 01:18 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, it works just like the RFID badge you probably use to get into work every day.
Old 02-18-07, 03:29 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I would think it will vary according to usage.

I was curious because i valeted one of our guest's is250 and the remote battery was gone (so the owner said). What was strange was, the remote was still working (lock/unlock windows up/down etc) but the display says key not detected. I'm thinking it might not have been the remote but something else
Old 02-18-07, 03:35 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

I remember reading that the battery generally lasts for 2 years. Fortunately my dealer replaces them for free and recommends it done annually.
Old 02-24-07, 08:44 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

m info display said low battery last night. I called my dealer and they have it in stock but I was wondering if its covered under warranty?
Old 02-24-07, 10:01 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

I think the idea is even the key fob battery is dead we could use the KEY to open the door and put the empty key fob very close to the start buttom to start the engine!
Old 02-24-07, 10:21 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wolverine
m info display said low battery last night. I called my dealer and they have it in stock but I was wondering if its covered under warranty?
Ray Catena Lexus replace mine for free when I told them I'd bought the car at their dealership; the battery was inexpensive enough that they didn't even bother writing up any paperwork. If your dealer charges you, stop by the waiting room and grab a pastry on the way out and you'll be even.
Old 02-24-07, 10:34 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Ray Catena Lexus replace mine for free when I told them I'd bought the car at their dealership; the battery was inexpensive enough that they didn't even bother writing up any paperwork. If your dealer charges you, stop by the waiting room and grab a pastry on the way out and you'll be even.
that's right. get their sodas for free and eat their food......

not a bad idea to stock couple at home just in case.....and dont forget, you have FREE lexus roadside assistance !

(they will rescue you in X hours, just be patient...... HA!)

Quick Reply: Remote battery life