GTECH Accurate @ 13.750

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-07, 12:29 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by omgitsroy
also do you do that foot dance? or jus hit the traction control button and turn it off and allow it to enable after 30mph
Launching the car isn't as easy as it sounds, esp with stock tires. There is a fine line based on track conditions, rear weight (ie fuel tank),temps and other things. I have crossed the line once or twice and just ended up spinning through 1st and or second gear. You just have to get out there and practice and get a feel for how your car hooks up. Experience from all of us who have ran our car showed that it worked best to under inflate the rear tires, overinflated the front tires and do that foot dance to disable the Traction control.
Old 02-19-07, 01:58 PM
tw88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume these #s use the brake torque technique? What rpm are people bringing it up to before launch?
Old 02-19-07, 02:18 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh righ.. well luckily the 07 just have a button I can hold in. I would forget to do the brake dance!

And I have read that the best way to launch our cars is basically floor it off the line with under inflated tires.

I haven't really read about anyone brake boosting for better times.... but then I could be terribly wrong!
Old 02-19-07, 02:45 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Launching the car isn't as easy as it sounds, esp with stock tires. There is a fine line based on track conditions, rear weight (ie fuel tank),temps and other things. I have crossed the line once or twice and just ended up spinning through 1st and or second gear. You just have to get out there and practice and get a feel for how your car hooks up. Experience from all of us who have ran our car showed that it worked best to under inflate the rear tires, overinflated the front tires and do that foot dance to disable the Traction control.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to say it was easy, but i thought that everyone just turned off the traction and floored it... which to me didn't makes sense so i assumed incorrect. Then it seems that throttle control is very cruicial...

thanks ~
Old 02-19-07, 09:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

There is nothing more important in racing than judging traction accurately. ANY racing. That means (you are correct) throttle control is crucial.

If you are interested in times, then you need to be expert in judging when the tires slip the right amount. If you are just interested in tuning, you only need to consider mph through the traps.

If you want to get better numbers, remove the spare, the jack, the tools, the owner's manual, and anything else you feel comfortable removing. If you want to see "what the car will do" under your normal driving conditions, leave it alone. I tend to leave my stuff in the car because I'm not trying to set the ultimate low e.t. and I doubt anyone here will be able to compete with Roro anyway. His car is pretty stripped down for a consumer car.

When I went to the track (without a helmet - BAD idea at an NHRA track) I did the pedal dance and brake torqued for about 2 seconds before launching. There's a trick to doing this without red lighting, and I was having a few issues with it that day.

I didn't reduce my tire pressure, again because I wasn't interested in ultimate low time, but representative time I could expect most of the time - except you never see anyone putting VHT on the road at a stop light, and the day I went we followed a pretty serious event the previous day so the launch area was really tacky.

I have some free time for the next couple of weeks, and the temperatures are pretty decent right now, so I'm thinking I'll get a helmet this time and head back for the Wednesday night drags.
Old 02-20-07, 03:34 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I doubt anyone here will be able to compete with Roro anyway. His car is pretty stripped down for a consumer car.
I just topped Roro's time by about .04 seconds on Saturday, but I did all the easy "sorry cheatin' bastard" tricks.

I'm sure he'll top mine though as soon as he gets his SC sorted out.
Old 02-20-07, 05:10 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These G things are pretty accurate. My G-Timer 2 (not exactly G-Tech) was saying 13.85 when I ran a 13.87 at the strip. For the most part, it was never off by more than .05 seconds. All night long, the timer would say 13.85 to 13.95 and my times were 13.87 to 13.9x. My 60 feet would be 2.10 and the thing would say 2.08 or so. My 0-60 mph usually register 5.0-5.3.