IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Where to buy chrome factory rims?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 02:25 PM
TexasIS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy chrome factory rims?

I am looking to buy some chrome factory rims, anyone know the best place to purchase these?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 02-18-07, 03:54 PM
lexem
Pole Position

Try ebay, local classified ads, local dealer, or CL classified post on this forum.
Old 02-18-07, 04:10 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

I see the guy do exchanges all the time on eBay.....he sends you a chromed set plus deposit, you send back you wheels and he refunds the dep.
Old 02-18-07, 04:47 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ours were put on the car by the dealer, so I would try them first. I certainly wouldn’t trust e-Bay for that sort of thing.
Old 02-18-07, 05:44 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
Ours were put on the car by the dealer, so I would try them first. I certainly wouldn’t trust e-Bay for that sort of thing.
hahahaha I would trust more e-bay than the stealership, they charge you 3000 dls for chrome rims and guess what??? the dealer will take the wheels to the same local shop you can take the wheels to, and charge you 3000 dls and this guys only charge like 500 dls max.
ps. I know the dealer charges 3000 dls for chrome rims becuase I visit a lot of dealerships before buying my IS and the add-on price for chrome wheels in all delears were 3000.
Old 02-18-07, 05:57 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TexasIS
I am looking to buy some chrome factory rims, anyone know the best place to purchase these?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Try Sewell Lexus in Ft. Worth (or Dallas). On my '06, I got chromes for 1288 in place of the regular wheels. I think they said they were regularly 1788, but they gave me a "deal" (since I gave them a fistful of dollars for the car.) Of course, the '07s might be more.
Old 02-19-07, 08:57 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CAIFAN_64
hahahaha I would trust more e-bay than the stealership, they charge you 3000 dls for chrome rims and guess what??? the dealer will take the wheels to the same local shop you can take the wheels to, and charge you 3000 dls and this guys only charge like 500 dls max.
ps. I know the dealer charges 3000 dls for chrome rims becuase I visit a lot of dealerships before buying my IS and the add-on price for chrome wheels in all delears were 3000.
That’s not been my experience. When we looked at our car at the dealership it already had the OEM chrome rims installed with a jack-up price of $3,000 for them. I told the salesman that if I buy the car I wanted those rims removed and the plain ones put back on. He said OK. But he probably couldn’t find a set so he came back and offered to give me the chromed rims for nothing if I would buy the car, which I did.

As for e-Bay, I’ve read, and seen on those TV court shows, enough horror stories about aborted deals and scams that I would never take such a chance, especially by sending off a good set of rims, leaving me with my new car on blocks, and hoping I’ll eventually get them back. No, that’s not something I would ever consider.
Old 02-19-07, 09:36 AM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

are you looking for stock wheels that are chromed like CWS^, or you want different chrome wheels?
Old 02-19-07, 09:52 AM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Magellan
As for e-Bay, I’ve read, and seen on those TV court shows, enough horror stories about aborted deals and scams that I would never take such a chance, especially by sending off a good set of rims, leaving me with my new car on blocks, and hoping I’ll eventually get them back. No, that’s not something I would ever consider.
I'm all for Cavaet Emptor, but if you use a large e-bay chroming service, with lots of positve history, you'll be OK, especially if you use either an escrow service or pay by credit card, not Pay nobodies Pal. Oh, and those services send you the chromed wheels first, then take your stock ones in exchange...so no blocks.

Don't bet that you didn't pay for your chrome wheels....somewhere in the purchase price.
Old 02-19-07, 10:05 AM
1022it
Pole Position

chrome dipped wheels might be a cheaper route, but if they are not done properly, the chrome can have hairline cracks or porosities (don't know which is the actual case) that cause your wheel to seep air very slowly.

my brother had his wheels chrome dipped at a local shop for his mustang and he has never been able to hold air on one wheel.

just a heads up.

maybe you can get the comapny that is doing the chrome dipping to include a warranty on the wheels, that they hold air perfectly upon return/shipment. if not, x happens. (you fill in the x to yours and the company's liking)
Old 02-19-07, 11:03 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

send the rims yourself. they send them and the actual cost for this is 50$ per rim for a dealer. My friends family owns the lexus/aura dealer i get all my cars from. all they do is dip the rims. they are not an OEM chrome rim and most dealers will charge you 3000$ for them. if you can get them off ebay for 500 shipped and trade your rims i feel its a fair deal. make sure they have some kind of warranty if they peel or anything especially if you are in a bad climate.
Old 02-19-07, 11:16 AM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1022it
chrome dipped wheels might be a cheaper route, but if they are not done properly..........
Couldn't agree more.
All wheels need to have a triple chrome plating process, done by an experienced automobile wheel chrome plating facility, not some corner motorcycle re-chroming place, or what many stealerships do. Not all chrome plating is created equal and you need to do some research on the the quality of the chrome you'll be receiving. If looking for a local shop, remember the sealership may be using the same place, so they may not be eager to do a one off job for you. That's why the quality, high volume, good history, e-bay shops are not a bad choice. After shipping, lug nut, valve and mounting costs are added to the re-chroming process, you could be nearing $750...so that's my bottom line on what I'd pay a sealership, and then only if they explain the specific process they use to me in detail (they won't). The required triple re-chroming process, as I understand it, is:

1. Wheels are stripped of clear coat, paint and dirt.
2. Surface of the wheel is polished to remove any defects and imperfections.
3. A layer of copper is added.
4. The copper layer is buffed.
5. One more layer of copper is added to further smooth out the surface of the wheel.
6. A layer of nickel is added.
7. A layer of chromium is added for a brilliant and shiny finish.

Good luck!