IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Current G35 coupe vs Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-07, 05:53 AM
JRIS250
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

I was browsing [and joined] 6mt.net, a big G35 forum online...someone had this to write under a thread called "Is the G35 coupe a reliable car?" From
al503's 2003/2004 standpoint and his/her previous message, I believe this person shares similar perspectives...nonetheless if anyone knows of how the 05+ models are...feel free to shed some light...If indeed all these problems have improved with the later model G35 coupes...It'll be 2007 IS250 vs. 05/06G35...

As said before, comments/advice/suggestions very much appreciated..Hope this helps current G35 and IS owners as well

"......While I can't speak for '05 or later models, as with any new production model year, the '03-'04s have some issues that have [mostly] been resolved in the later models.
Expect rattles within the cabin due to the road vibration (tires can be replaced that may eliminate some of this) for the others, there are TSBs that address many of the rattles (rear view mirror, rear side assemblies, etc.)
The Brembo brakes will leave LOTS of brake dust on your rims, and will not last as long as conventional OEM brakes and will cost an arm and leg to have them replaced if you got an '03-'04 model. Later models have different OEM brakes that should last longer and cost less to maintain. This is the primary reason that the cost of the '04 and '05 models were almost flat from year to year due to Infiniti's decision to drop the Brembo brakes, then add another 12hp, mp3 player, upgraded interior, steering wheel illuminated buttons, brushed-aluminum pedals, etc.
The damn OEM rims are painted (which is a huge thorn in my side for me), expect to see unusually high wear and tear on your rims depending on what type of roads you drive on. I think even the later models, the rims are painted and if you accidentally use the wrong cleaning solutions on them, they will stain them black. You will also have to learn to not use traditional car wash places (the one that use wheel guides and spinning brushes) and opt to care for it yourself or goto a "touchless" car wash place (like a LaserWash, etc.) Unfortunately, I am hearing that alot of other automobile manufacturers are opting to paint their OEM rims as well.
The throttle sensor seems to go out on alot of people's cars on this forum (mine went out while on the highway in a construction area with no shoulder...)
Fuel tank not filling up properly may or may not be an issue for you (I had to have the pump or filter assembly replaced in mine.) These are really to 2 main issues of reliability that I have run into. Most everything else are cosmetic issue.
Water leaks just a little in at the upper most rear part of both the driver and passenger side windows when I take the car through the car wash. There is a TSB, but it didn't work effectively.
If you opt for the rear spoiler, be careful, as there is not enough room between the spoiler and your trunk to allow for small pebbles or debris to pass through, so you may get little pebbles caught on the double-sided tape which may scratch your trunk paint if you attempt to manually remove them.
Tranny will take getting used to, particularly 1st to 2nd gear. I've got 12k miles on my '04, and I still have issues sometimes. I have heard that the tranny has been improved on the '05 and later models.
the "Bose" radio sucks *****. My CD player simply will not play or will skip when the weather is really cold until the interior cabin temperature is good and warmed up, so I will be taking mine in to be replaced shortly.
I had to have the sunroof replaced due to some "discoloration" that occured in the actual tint itself (not heard of anybody else who had this issue with their coupes) and my driver's side seat bottom tore where the leather tab fits into the side plastic sleeve. The dealer replaced that as well, although they had to use a local custom guy to reinstall it, and the foam density is little softer on my seat now compared to the passenger seat bottom. (Not too noticeable unless you have OCD like me.)
Nissan paints are notorious for being subpar (another thorn in my side, and I would have opted for a different color had I known in advance.) Nissan Obsidian black and "cloud white" (which I don't think is offered on the Infiniti models) are 1-stage paints, meaning that the clear coat and the paint are physically mixed together and then applied to the surface all at once, instead of a 2-stage setup, where the paint is applied first, then a layer of clear coat is put on top of it. If you opt for Obsidian black, expect the paint to get scratched up really easily regardless of how well you maintain it. The other paint options are all 2-stage.
Gas mileage is decent for a 300hp engine, 2500lb car, I don't drive too aggressively, and get around 19-20mpg (city/highway) mix.
I've also heard mixed opinions on the service folks at the various Infiniti dealerships.
As far as reliability, it's a great car, it's an awesome looker (although I am beginning to see more and more of them on the roads around here nowadays) and you will love all the stares you get, and the car holds it's resale value well also...."

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ??
Old 02-19-07, 07:45 AM
JRIS250
Rookie

How about 2007 IS250 owners? Any pet peeves with the cars so far ??
Old 02-19-07, 08:41 AM
lexem
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a G35 coupe before my IS350 and after getting the IS350 I couldn't be happier. I don't think you should compare a coupe to a sedan though. I tried the G35 sedan just before buying the is350 and the Lexus won. The performance of the Infiniti G line is great. Lots of power and good looks but that's where it all stops. The service I got s**ked. I took the car to the dealer about 20 times for rattles and warranty items. There is a reason why Infiniti cost less. I loved the look of the G35 coupe but I hated the car itself and the dealer. After owning the is350 for over 4 months, there is no comparison with Infiniti. The is350 is very powerful, comfortable, and quite.
Infiniti doesn’t have touch screen, cooled seats, and you have to place the “keyless” fob in the dash to start the car. The inside of the Lexus is so much better. My only con about the Lexus is the seats. They are comfortable but they don’t hold you in like the Infiniti coupe one did.

Good luck and I hope you get the car you want.
Old 02-19-07, 08:48 AM
revhi
Driver

Do not get the G coupe. I had a MY05 G coupe 6mt and absolutely loathed the car. The only pros about the car is the lines, OEM 19's, and its aesthetically pleasing.
The cons are, crappy tranny, cheap interior[the new civics are nicer], rattles galore, clutch too soft, outdated interior, cheap paint.. yes even cheaper than the IS. And so much more. I was so unsatisifed with the G35 [I bought the car on a whim and took a 37K hit]. I hope you dont make the same mistake.
I came from an s2000 before the G35 and was so disappointed. I know the VQ engines have recieved many accolades but that doesnt justify anything for the rest of the car. But i'll tell you one thing, that car had awesome resale value.
Old 02-19-07, 08:50 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

go test drive the car b4 you make a decision. i dont get why people have so much proglems with their g35's. my sis has a 2003 g35 sedan and hasnt had all the problems everyone else has said. the car has some strange design elements but is working just fine.
Old 02-19-07, 09:03 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lexem
The service I got s**ked. I took the car to the dealer about 20 times for rattles and warranty items. There is a reason why Infiniti cost less.
I stopped after 7 or 8 attempts to fix all of the problems. Taking time off work or driving 340 miles round trip to the next closest dealer on my day off was enough for me. It would be one thing if they at least made an effort but that was apparently too much to ask for.

I ended up buying the service manual and taking on the problems I could myself. In the end, the pull to the right, and the tire feathering, that was taking it's toll on my bank account was more than I could take.

She was a looker though.

Old 02-19-07, 09:10 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JRIS250
person shares similar perspectives...nonetheless if anyone knows of how the 05+ models are...feel free to shed some light...If indeed all these problems have improved with the later model G35 coupes...It'll be 2007 IS250 vs. 05/06G35...
Owner's of the '06 G's are still complaining about the rocking seats. I think this is a good indication of how responsive Infiniti is to reacting to known (for about 4 years, since I bought the sedan in May '02) issues.
Old 02-19-07, 10:41 AM
taminatorv
Driver School Candidate

After 2 years with an '05 G35 Coupe 6MT, I bought an IS250. I was lured to the G35 because of the beautiful lines, the awesome exhaust note, and the early favorable reviews of most magazines. As a performance car, it does satisfy with good acceleration, good handling with minimal understeer, decent comfort, and a what appeared to be good value. But once you own it for a while, the cheapness comes out.

In about 500 miles, I had this horrible buzzing sound coming out of the dashboard. The dealer said it was a common problem caused by the dash design. After a TSB fix, it did quiet down and would only pop up on occasion. Other squeaks and rattles persisted. The shifter was a bit clunky and the clutch was really vague, making smooth starts a challenge. The 07 G35 6MT sedan I drove wasn't any better, but the shifter had improved. Other problems consisted of an intermittent fuel gauge caused by lose connections, feathered front tires caused by a bad suspension design, and a stereo that intermittently wouldn't read CDs. The engine made a loud ratcheting noise at startup and the clutch shuttered, both normal for the car. You get what you pay for.

The Lexus has been wonderfully quiet and still statisfying to drive. I don't even miss the power much, but I do miss the exhaust on the G35.
Old 02-19-07, 11:32 AM
JRIS250
Rookie

Talking

I never really thought that such a nice car would come by with as many defects..

Although experiencing my situation is tough...Im thankful that my Lexus hasnt caused me that much trouble and the service is good...

I guess for now I'll stick w/ my IS...if not then I'll do my best to get a new 07'

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THEIR HELP!
Old 02-19-07, 02:18 PM
ShadowGS4
Rookie

I have an 05 G35 coupe now, and am looking to get a new IS350 in December. Its been a fun car, but the quality just doesn't compared to Lexus. I had an IS300 before this, which I totaled and still miss, and it was a much more solid feeling car. I too have the rocking seat and more rattles than you could even begin to shake a stick at. Mine is lowered on S-Tech's with 19" Volk SF-Challenges, so the handling and road feel is pretty good, but as far as power goes, the IS350 is by feel and numbers a more powerful car. I will definitely miss the handling aspect of the G35c, but I plan on putting coilovers on the IS so that should kinda help it feel a little more like the G does. But the IS is by far a superior car in the quality and fit and finish area, and as many have said, in the service area too.

Its really hard to truely compare the two cars since they are so vastly different, but I will have no trouble going into the IS350 from the G35c. The exterior looks are amazing on the G, but the overall quality and crappy interior (even on the updated 05 interior) just kills the total experience. Also, I have navigation on my G35c, and as cool as the bird's eye view mode is, the IS's naviagation is much more user friendly and modern looking. I've used the one on a new 07 G sedan, and still its lacking compared to the IS's. And the single thing that I am looking forward to above all else, is actually having a useable trunk again. I thought I could deal with the one in the G coupe, but man, after a while, you begin to realize how much of a pain in the **** it is to have such a small useless trunk.

But anywho, just my thoughts! Hope it helps some.

-Stephen
Old 02-19-07, 02:47 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Motortrend just did a comparison, go read
Old 02-19-07, 02:58 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
Motortrend just did a comparison, go read
Can you sum it up for us in a few sentences for those of us who don't get MT
Old 02-19-07, 03:09 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Haha, I was going to say the same thing. If it's online, copy and paste, hehe. Too lazy to search.
Old 02-19-07, 03:16 PM
uthatch
Driver

Originally Posted by al503
Can you sum it up for us in a few sentences for those of us who don't get MT
1. IS350-by a margin...even costing considerably more.
2. Acura TL (I think TL, I always confuse the Ac names)-slower than the other two, but an all around nice car.
3. G35-Good car, nice improvement over previous gen, but still something missing. WAY slower than the IS too.
Old 02-19-07, 03:38 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by uthatch
1. IS350-by a margin...even costing considerably more.
2. Acura TL (I think TL, I always confuse the Ac names)-slower than the other two, but an all around nice car.
3. G35-Good car, nice improvement over previous gen, but still something missing. WAY slower than the IS too.
Thanks. This looks like how the comparison in Road and Track ended. Motor Trend had the same comparison and results?

Quick Reply: Current G35 coupe vs Lexus IS