IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Current G35 coupe vs Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-07, 03:43 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So basically, the IS is an all around great car. That's including the 250's of course....
Old 02-19-07, 05:28 PM
uthatch
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
Thanks. This looks like how the comparison in Road and Track ended. Motor Trend had the same comparison and results?
Actually I was guessing that R&T was the magazine we were talking about because I haven't seen anything on the IS or G in MT. But maybe I missed it? I usually peruse all the mags pretty thoroughly.
Old 02-19-07, 06:09 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the G35 but after mike told me how the IS whupped the Gs Azz I was sold on the IS.
Old 02-21-07, 02:27 PM
Lexus52
Driver School Candidate

Ok.. here is some advice:

I was looking at both cars.. IS 350 and G35 coupe. Although the g35 is very aesthetically pleasing, its interior .. frankly.. SUCKS. It may look nice at first.. but its cheaply made and therefore the reliability of the car is horrible - and ontop of that the customer service quality of infiniti IS NOT GOOD AT ALL.. in fact its below par.. and lexus customer service .. in my opinion.. ranks as one of the best car customer services in the world. They take amazing care of you and your car.. and ontop of that provide free loaners when needed and FIX the problems which occur.

the g35 does have 306 ponies.. but the IS350 would beat the g35 in a race. (thats if you get a manual transmission - automatics have less hp).

if your thinking about buying a IS250, then a g35 would beat you in a race, but if you are looking for quality.. trust me go for lexus.. you won't be dissapointed..

i hope that helps at all - my friend owns a 06' g35 coupe and she ENVIES my IS350 more than anything - .. and yes i did beat her in many races

goodluck in making your decision but i would pick the IS over g35.
Old 03-01-07, 05:00 AM
x2mkx
Driver

i think u pretty much got ur answer at this point but ya. all these people arent lying man. G35s just arent built well. the interior is cheaply made. i had so many problems with mine i was tired of it. IMHO. the infiniti G35 is just a sports car with pleather (plastic leather) all over the interior xP.
Old 03-01-07, 09:18 AM
ISF
Driver School Candidate

Hey Lexus owners,

I'm new to Club Lexus and I have to admit that after reading some of your posted remarks about the G35 vs. the IS 250/IS 350, I had to chime in. Let me start by saying that I'm a proud driver of a IS 350 (I bought the car for my wife ) but of course I drive it and let me tell you that the 350 is one FUN car to drive! I first bought the 2006 IS 250 in November of 05 and loved it....the only problem that I really noticed was that the back seats were a bit cramped but everything else about the car was very satisfying especially the interior. Now, I've always wanted a high performance car and the IS 250 wasn't it so I begged my wife into upgrading to the 350 a year later...WOW was it a big difference. I had no idea that 204bhp vs. 306bhp would make my driving experience so much more FUN! I definitely felt the torque and nearly lost control of the car (Lead foot) while trying to make a left turn. So, we've had the 07 IS 350 since Oct of 2006 and couldn't be happier! We got the Obsidian black on black, fully loaded with all the goodies except the ML (Mark Levinson) sound system...from what I've heard it's not really worth it given the cost. I had to share my story about my experience with the IS. Now on to the G35 vs. the IS. In all honesty the two cars really don't compare, let me clarify. The G35 is a sports coupe and the IS isn't. But for arguments sake if you're comparing performance I would leave that up to the pros to say which is #1 and 2 etc. However, in my opinion a lot of what it comes down to is VALUE and what you appreciate most in a car. My friend has a sick G35 ....I mean it is one of the best I’ve seen on the road and if all the G35’s came packaged liked his, then I would definitely buy one…but they don’t. But I will say this…for the price and performance the G35 would be ideal especially if the cost is the biggest factor. Based on what I know and from what my friend tells me here’s how I would break down the G35 and IS 350:

Performance
I 350 (Not really sure about the G35 but based on Car and Driver reviews of both cars, slight edge goes to the IS 350)

Cost
G35 (Fully loaded would be around 40K tops, Lexus 45-50K)

Interior
IS 350 (Most people would agree but then again this is subjective)

Exterior
Tie (Again this is subjective hard to say this is definite)

Reliability
Can’t say because the IS 350 is too new! However, the G35 does have a longer history of being a reliable car.

All the other categories…well I just don’t know. So, if you want both performance and luxury at a premium get the IS 350, but for performance and overall value for your money the G35 is the way to go!
Old 03-01-07, 09:26 AM
JRIS250
Rookie

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ISF
"...Reliability
Can’t say because the IS 350 is too new! However, the G35 does have a longer history of being a reliable car.....but for performance and overall value for your money the G35 is the way to go!..."
Which year G35 coupe would you be talking about here? From what I've seen on this thread, most 03'-04' G35 coupe owners didn't really have anything spectacular to say about the car's reliability...only that it had great re-sale value and the performance was awesome. That's it.
Old 03-01-07, 10:18 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

The G35c or Sedan - even the 2007 version is nothing more than a Japanese Trans-am. Sorry if this offends anyone buy my 05 G was the worst car I've ever owned by far - my soon-to-be delivered IS350 will be my 18th vehicle. I also had the '07G for a few weeks as a demo and yes there are updates, but it's the same old POS in terms of overall quality, craftsmanship, reliability. Also, the service was equally horrendous during my ownership – a good summation of this is they work against you, not w/you as Lexus does. Lexus is light-years ahead of Nissan/Infiniti and is worth the extra $$$ IMO.

However, to each is there own - so if you like the G35 then go for it. You've been well advised - good luck

Last edited by MLevinson; 03-01-07 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-01-07, 05:29 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Post '07 G35x & IS250 AWD

A personal opinion on the G35x and my IS250 AWD (warning, this may be biased but here it goes)

I dont have a G35 but, my friend who I commute with everyday has the 07 G35x fully loaded (all options). We drive about 140miles round trip to work everyday, so I've been riding in his car everyother day. This is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt or whatever...

In general the car has the pony's but it really doesnt feel that fast, just my butt talkin'.

As far as the quality & design of the interior, the Lexus wins hands down. The materials they use feel like plastic and the layout of the console looks kind of ugly. The navigation system has a cool option for birds-eve view which is pretty cool, but again, the navigation symbology looks really poor. I do however like the steering wheel controls, where you can do much more with them then ours, but not much. The seats feel comfy as far as the support, but the leather felt like pleather. Oh and his seat warmer is all screwed up, he's had it for 3 months now, 2months into owning it, the seat warmers (passanger side - so thats why I'm complaining... ) started acting up. When you set it on HI, the upper part gets warm and when you set it on LOW the bottom part warms up, but not both at the same time. It used to work, but it doesnt as of last month. To make matters worse, he got it checked out when it first started acting up (last month), and its still not fixed (I think they're waiting on parts, but 1 month for a seat heater? hmm...)

Exterior: your call really, you like or you don't...

As far as handling, I'm not really sure I havent driven it myself but for long drives its a bit more comfortable then the Lexus. I think thats mainly to do with the higher profile tires though (G35x has 225/55/17's) where you dont feel the small bumps in the road as much.

Small things...wipers: the suck on the 07 G35x...half the time it misses about 30% of the glass (not a problem on mine, he usually points it out too). Another thing, the car does not have the automatic wipers (I dont think its an option) Much poorer gas mileage then my IS250 AWD, but may be somewhat comparable to the IS350, I dont have one so I dont know. The hard drive for music is a nice touch, however we barely use it and it can only rip audio disc's (no mp3). Also, it takes about 15mins to rip one album onto the hard drive. But all in all the hard drive is pretty cool. There are also AV jacks in the center console to hook up whatever you want, but the car must be in park (but then there's probably some hack to go around that, I dont know for sure). Last thing, not sure which tire is better, but the G35x comes with goodyear tires IMHO

All in all, im extremely happy with my car, I would personally still choose the IS250 AWD over the G35x as the quality is my priority and not the pony's but thats me. So if you want ponies & awd, the G35 is a good value but definatley go check it out for yourself. Good luck!

-Bounce
Old 03-01-07, 08:06 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BounceNY
Oh and his seat warmer is all screwed up, he's had it for 3 months now, 2months into owning it, the seat warmers (passanger side - so thats why I'm complaining... ) started acting up. When you set it on HI, the upper part gets warm and when you set it on LOW the bottom part warms up, but not both at the same time. It used to work, but it doesnt as of last month. To make matters worse, he got it checked out when it first started acting up (last month), and its still not fixed (I think they're waiting on parts, but 1 month for a seat heater? hmm...)
First of all, Damn! You guys got a commute and a half...

The seat warmers were awful. You can turn them on and they usually warm up but then go cold, then get warm again if you're driving long enough. This isn't isolated to the G. Go to the M forums and you'll see the same thing.

Like I mentioned before, Infiniti prices their cars lower than Lexus and BMW. If you own one for a while, you'll find out the veracity of 'you get what you pay for.'
Old 03-01-07, 08:47 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

When you set it on HI, the upper part gets warm and when you set it on LOW the bottom part warms up, but not both at the same time.
Thats still better then the IS no? Given if it works... we dont have upper seat warmers... only the bottom butt part. I never felt the top back back get warm or cool.
Old 03-02-07, 05:14 AM
ISF
Driver School Candidate

Everyone has made some valid points based on their experience with either owning a G35 and/or a IS 350 themselves. Truthfully, my information regarding the G35 is solely based on what I've read and heard.....I've never owned one and really don't too much care for them...all I know is the IS 350 is fun to drive, sexy looking, has good gas mileage, very reliable, luxury features are excellent and Lexus does treat you right. I've owned a IS 250 and now the IS 350 and if the price is right I will own the IS F woooooo! I'm so glad Lexus finally stepped up to the plate to produce a REAL high performance car to compete with BMW. I'm not into car bashing but the M3 is just too over priced IMO but anyway...back to the G35. I'm sure it is a good car. All car automakers have their good/bad batch of car problems...even Lexus. I think that how the dealer address your issues with the car would make a world of a difference because that too plays a major role in your perception of quality and good customer service.
Old 03-02-07, 07:21 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

First of all, Damn! You guys got a commute and a half...'
Its all highway, and no traffic so it takes about an hour each way. It's not too bad of a drive but the miles + gas do add up.
Old 03-02-07, 08:38 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Its all highway, and no traffic so it takes about an hour each way. It's not too bad of a drive but the miles + gas do add up.
My commute is about half that and it takes over an hour. My worst avg mph is 16. Imagine going 16 mph for 30 miles...................

EBMC: take your car in. My seatback gets nice and warm.
Old 03-02-07, 07:50 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

EBMC: take your car in. My seatback gets nice and warm.
Really? I thought it was normal since when you put it on cool you can only feel cool air blow at the seat and not on the seat rest back. I'll have to test out the passenger seat or another IS to find out if mines normal or not.

Quick Reply: Current G35 coupe vs Lexus IS