IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oil Leak TSB

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-07, 12:09 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm on the list as well. I'm not worried about it one bit as I look at the oil level every other week anyway.
Old 02-20-07, 12:29 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

man, they have to remove the engine for this?? Forget it, unless it's spitting oil everywhere, i won't even think about having them do this tsb, lol...
Old 02-20-07, 12:48 PM
storm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have complete details of what the fix involves? If the whole engine is jacked up, seal replaced, and dropped back down, it's not so bad.
Old 02-20-07, 12:56 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrMut
man, they have to remove the engine for this?? Forget it, unless it's spitting oil everywhere, i won't even think about having them do this tsb, lol...
Your smart. It's a huge deal to do. I know the head gasket must be redone, I would trade the car before even thinking of it.
Old 02-20-07, 02:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,961 Likes on 2,400 Posts

No, the headgasket is not redone. The heads stay on the engine the entire time, and the cams don't even come out. It's a PITA to do, but it isn't terribly invasive. Not nearly as involved as the IS250's TSIB for the multiple DTCs where they replace the valve lash adjusters.

[EDIT]I got this part wrong. After reviewing the TSB and the FSM, this is more invasive than the IS250 valve lash adjusters because the cam housing sub-assembly comes off which means the cams come out. The only thing different between this and the IS250 TSIB is they are not replacing the valve lash adjusters, only the camshaft housing subassembly and the bolts related to it.[/EDIT]

Sure pulling the engine is a piece of work, but the point of the exercise is to get it fixed. I don't know why you wouldn't want this to be fixed since even small oil leaks make a really ugly mess in the engine bay.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-20-07 at 03:30 PM. Reason: My Mistake
Old 02-20-07, 02:51 PM
storm
Rookie

Originally Posted by purebliss
Your smart. It's a huge deal to do. I know the head gasket must be redone, I would trade the car before even thinking of it.
What?!? Are you serious, the head gasket needs to be changed? So not only does the whole engine have to be removed, but the whole head has to come off?!?

How common is this issue, does anyone actually have the leak? Why in the world would the head gasket need to be redone?!? Can someone post more details on the fix. I'd also be interested to see how many were affected.
Old 02-20-07, 02:51 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

From what I have heard from my reps they don't pull the engine they just take the radiator out and some how do it that way. Does that make sense? I was told the headgasket has to be removed b/c thats the only way to take off the timming cover? I am no mechanic I just reported back on what I heard,
Old 02-20-07, 02:53 PM
storm
Rookie

Does anyone have full access to the TSB? It shoud list the fix, no?
Old 02-20-07, 03:04 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Yea it should but I have seen a few that don't. But all dealerships will do it different ways. I think the removing of the radiator sounds like the simplest fix then having them pull out your engine. I really think you will never have to deal with this problem ever. From what I see is it happens are cars that have less then 10k on them so if you have made it past then I think your fine. Also if you run dino oil your even safer.
Old 02-20-07, 03:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,961 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Originally Posted by purebliss
From what I have heard from my reps they don't pull the engine they just take the radiator out and some how do it that way. Does that make sense? I was told the headgasket has to be removed b/c thats the only way to take off the timming cover? I am no mechanic I just reported back on what I heard,
No, this is wrong. The headgasket is NOT removed. The heads stay on the engine.

It might be possible to do this with the engine in place, however, Lexus is paying for the engine to be removed, and if the tech doesn't fix the leak the first time, it will be on the dealership's dime to get it right the second time.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-20-07 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-20-07, 07:16 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This tundrasolutions site sure is a POS.

Originally Posted by John5000
Read it and weep, Lexus has released the rumored oil leak TSB. I noticed some oil on the front of my motor during the last oil change, thought I was just imagining things. This is like my third major issue with this car, I am starting to get P*SSED!!!

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...D&page=2&pp=30

EG001-07 GR-FSE SERIES ENGINE OIL LEAK
Old 02-20-07, 08:55 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank god I don't have this issue... I'd be royally pissed off... And if I did, I'd just live with it, no way would I let a dealership remove my engine... That's almost worse than your car being totaled and then repaired... Bleh...
Old 02-20-07, 09:10 PM
bturnbaugh
Driver

Originally Posted by Technique
Thank god I don't have this issue... I'd be royally pissed off... And if I did, I'd just live with it, no way would I let a dealership remove my engine... That's almost worse than your car being totaled and then repaired... Bleh...
OMG I totaly agree !
Old 02-20-07, 09:19 PM
John5000
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

I myself am looking at the "trading in" option. No way I am going to let the service dept rip my engine apart. This combined with the pulling problems and brake clunking noises is the last straw. I have never had this many issues so soon with a new car (including first year runs) let alone a Lexus.

Old 02-20-07, 09:39 PM
LexyIS350
Driver

So let me get this straight, when I'm looking at my Vin number, I should be looking at the last 6 digits (so the 12th to 17th place from the left)? I guessing all the digits after the assembly plant number?

Quick Reply: Oil Leak TSB