Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

You are correct.
Old 02-20-07, 11:32 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John5000
I myself am looking at the "trading in" option.
There is a trading-in option? I think I'm on the list, if I'm reading the recall correctly. (It's late) but not sign of oil leakage, where exactly should we be looking?

Last edited by ES3; 02-20-07 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-21-07, 05:21 AM
JoelPirela
Driver School Candidate

Well, my car is within the VINs affected. I will have to take a close look at the engine bay. If I have a leak and they need to perform the TSB, i will get rid of the car. Too much for Lexus reliability. FYI, I already have the whole transmission/clutch/flywheel replaced and if they have to take the engine appart, that will be it. They are even telling me that due to a poor tint installation my rear defogger doesn't work and need to replace the rear window. What's next? replace the seats? I don't trust the car anymore.

Does anybody have a print out/pdf link for the complete TSB that I can print?

Thanks!

Joel in Miami
Old 02-21-07, 06:39 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pass the brown paper bags, please ......

Very interesting reading the about the leak issue, but even more interesting reading the often hysterical and hyperventilating responses. Yeah, my IS is in the VIN range for the TSB (02/06 build date). Am I happy about it? Of course not. But I'm not going nuts, wringing my hands and threatening to trade the car, or worse. It's only a car. At this point Lexus, the company, is stepping up to the plate and fixing the problem. Other companies would just say it's a normal event and to live with it.

First things first, remain calm. Not all vehicles are going to have this leak. Those that do will have it to varying degrees. a) Take a look and see if you have a leak. I don't see any evidence of oil in my engine compartment, but I haven't looked closely for it either. But I'll start to do that from now on. b) Keep an eye on the oil level between oil changes. I would suspect most people don't even know where the dipstick is off hand. c) If it appears that you do have a leak, and if it is making a mess, or dripping on the floor, take it in and have the repair done by Lexus. If it is just a weep and isn't causing anything more than a slight mist I probably wouldn't worry about it. We have a full blown warranty so we have time to address the issue.

I think the trash talk of trading in the car over this is nuts. Why take a huge hit of thousands of dollars just because of this issue, which can be fixed?? Pulling the engine out to do this is not appealing I will agree, but get over it, it's not the end of the world. No vehicle, Lexus or otherwise, is immune to problems. Unfortunately the top Japanese makers, along with the JD Power's of the world, keep putting the idea in the consumer's mind that cars like Lexus, Toyota, Acura, Honda, etc are perfect from a mechanical standpoint. They never were and never will be. It is remarkable they are as reliable as they are, considering the technology involved and the manufacturing process. Let's keep it in perspective. We have to get over the expectation that if we spend $40k + on a car it should be perfect. Start realizing that you are spending far less than that on the actual mechanics of the car, with the remaining cost the 'premium' factor for the Lexus badge, which is considerable. It's called Luxury branding, and we are all paying for it when we buy luxury goods. It is how Lexus responds to this problem that determines if the luxury premium was worth it in the customer's mind. so far they seem to be doing the right thing.

BTW, how much time (hours) is Lexus allowing the dealers to do this work? And do most dealers have the knowledge and equipment to do a full engine removal and reinstallation? Some of the smaller ones could be challenged, I would think.

Last edited by Evitzee; 02-21-07 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-21-07, 07:07 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
And do most dealers have the knowledge and equipment to do a full engine removal and reinstallation? Some of the smaller ones could be challenged, I would think.
Doubtful... I bet a stong majority of dealerships will be challenged, given that most "mechanics" working at dealerships these days can't even do a simple TSB fix without screwing up other parts of the car... Heck, many of them can't even do an oil change without ruining something else... Good luck having them remove the engine...
Old 02-21-07, 07:10 AM
John5000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, how much time (hours) is Lexus allowing the dealers to do this work? And do most dealers have the knowledge and equipment to do a full engine removal and reinstallation? Some of the smaller ones could be challenged, I would think.
BINGO! There is no way Lexus service is familiar with doing this repair if it calls for pulling the engine. I think I read that it is a 20 hr job, but Lexus is only authorizing 15 hrs on the TSB so to put icing on the cake, the inexperienced mechanics will feel rushed. There are just so many things that can go wrong when an engine is pulled, that it is scary. Kind of like a surgeon doing open heart surgery on someone and then saying that person is good as new. We all know that is not the case.
Old 02-21-07, 07:11 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Also, I wonder if this is an internal engine part that can be defective? Or is it a piece that could of been improperly assembled at the plant?
Old 02-21-07, 07:16 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

All right so if my VIN reads

JTHBE262*7501****

My car should be in the clear, right? Comprehension this morning is not my strong point. Atleast I understand it was built at Tahara.
Old 02-21-07, 07:23 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
JTHBE262*7501****
That means you have a car from an unknown future Lexus plant!
Where did you buy it? I want one.
Old 02-21-07, 07:39 AM
JoelPirela
Driver School Candidate

My fear is that all hell can break loose after the warranty expires. Is not the same to have your car all tightly done at the factory in Japan that have pieces stiched together by a mechanic in Miami. Sorry. I already have half the car transplant. So I only need the other half.
Old 02-21-07, 07:41 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Where is proof that they have to remove the engine inorder to fix the leak??
Old 02-21-07, 08:32 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by phatboyc
That means you have a car from an unknown future Lexus plant!
Where did you buy it? I want one.
That must mean I'm in the clear! :P
Old 02-21-07, 08:43 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Very interesting reading the about the leak issue, but even more interesting reading the often hysterical and hyperventilating responses. Yeah, my IS is in the VIN range for the TSB (02/06 build date). Am I happy about it? Of course not. But I'm not going nuts, wringing my hands and threatening to trade the car, or worse. It's only a car.
x2. First, since the affected cars look like they're all probably in owners hands and we haven't heard anyone but John5000 having a leak that is actually showing itself on the ground. There are probably aren't too many that are affected.

Second, this is a TSB, not a recall. If it were a serious enough issue, they would have issued a recall.

Third, if you're worried about what may happen after your warranty expires, take it to the dealership and have them check it out right before the expiration. You'll get a loaner and probably a full tank of gas for your trouble. If you actually have the problem and they miss it, you're still going to be covered as they should have caught it. If you did have a problem and you can't see signs of it after almost 4 years and/or 50K miles of driving, you're probably going to be OK.

Last edited by al503; 02-21-07 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-21-07, 09:06 AM
DagsIS350
Driver School Candidate

I guess mine's the only one that actually leaked. The car leaked 2 very tiny spots the size of a quarter over a few months. I brought the car in and he warned me that they might have to take the whole engine out. But, said they would tighten the the cover where the leak is suspected (sorry i dont remember what cover it was) and that I should keep an eye on it. It's been over 5 months now and no leak. It's a Lexus, I'm not to worried...especially since my buddy works for the dealership.

I'm getting close to my 15k service so I'll have him take a look @ it. Other than not having the car for past 3 days (a minor accident on 2/8. A lady tapped my bumper and left license plate screw marks on it) the car has been a blast to drive.
Old 02-21-07, 10:15 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
All right so if my VIN reads

JTHBE262*7501****

My car should be in the clear, right? Comprehension this morning is not my strong point. Atleast I understand it was built at Tahara.
Not sure, look at the last 4 digits of your VIN. If it's over 7914 - you're fine, if it's under - you need to *watch* for leaks . . .

Quick Reply: Oil Leak TSB