IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oil Leak TSB

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-07, 06:36 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Now I know why they don't publish TSIBs in a public place. I can't believe all the consternation I am reading from people here.
Only a handful express dismay in the posts. Considering we have 1700 views on the thread I think it's not bad at all!
Old 02-22-07, 08:01 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleric
I don't believe so. The last 6 digits of a vehicles VIN number does not go in order like 1077, 1078. The last 6 digits act as the serial number.
Me thinks you don't know the definition of the adjective "serial" as used in the term "serial number". It means a consecutive recurring pattern without gaps, as in 1077, 1078, ...

There is no magic to the original installation.
Maybe a little magic? The factory uses robots, special assembly jigs, and workers that perform the same specialized operations day in and day out. And while mistakes can slip through, there are stringent quality control procedures in place to try to catch them.

I don't deny that a good mechanic should have no trouble with a job like this. But I've seen far to many hack jobs where dealership mechanics did things like leaving out bolts that are difficult to get at, accidentally cross-threading and stripping fasteners and then leaving them, assuming nobody will notice, etc.
Old 02-22-07, 08:35 PM
Cleric
Driver

[QUOTE=Bichon;2440774]Me thinks you don't know the definition of the adjective "serial" as used in the term "serial number". It means a consecutive recurring pattern without gaps, as in 1077, 1078, ...

Well from the definition of "serial" you are correct. Toyota does refer to the last 6 digits as the vehicles serial number. I guess what I was trying to say is while you can have a vehicle end with 1077 that does not mean the very next car that comes behind it in line at the plant will end in 1078. At least this is my experience when visiting a Toyota plant.
Old 02-22-07, 08:38 PM
Cleric
Driver

Got a reference for the numbers not being in production order? It does not follow my experience with multiple vehicles from multiple manufacturers. I've never seen VINs not in sequence with time.
Sorry I was not clear in my explanation. From my experience working with toyota plants, the vin does not go in exact order from one car to the next.
Old 03-09-07, 11:37 AM
yesmanno
Driver School Candidate

Check against this list. Also, this repair only applies if you are having a problem. If you are NOT having a problem, be happy and leave well enough alone!
Anyone out there had their oil leak fixed yet? I've got the leak but am reluctant to let the dealer to the major surgery required to fix it.
Old 03-09-07, 11:55 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yesmanno
Anyone out there had their oil leak fixed yet? I've got the leak but am reluctant to let the dealer to the major surgery required to fix it.
Do you have a spill on the ground or how did you find it?
Old 03-09-07, 01:37 PM
yesmanno
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by al503
Do you have a spill on the ground or how did you find it?
Dealer found it during the scheduled 10k maintenance, and you can see it under the hood if you look for it.
Old 03-09-07, 01:47 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2006 model year?

Well first year models of any car, even as reliable as Lexus, are prone to these kinds of issues I think.
Old 03-09-07, 01:53 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting the info. Mine is in the affected group, but I'm not going to get upset about it.
Old 03-09-07, 02:11 PM
storm
Rookie

Originally Posted by yesmanno
Dealer found it during the scheduled 10k maintenance, and you can see it under the hood if you look for it.
Can you tell us where to look, and what to look for?
Old 03-09-07, 05:34 PM
yesmanno
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by storm
Look straight down in front of the engine (with flashlight) under the fan and see if there is any oil stain or pooling on the plastic cowling beneath the fan.
Old 03-11-07, 03:22 PM
Scotty99
Driver

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by storm
Just did an oil change and I spotted it on mine after removing the plastic oil filter access cover. The oil has weeped and left a mess all over the right front and bottom of the motor. It looks like the bottom plastic covers are soaking up the drips which is probably why I have not noticed oil in my driveway yet. Many of the wiring harnesses were getting oil soaked also, so I can't imagine what kind of electrical problems I might have in the future. I am pretty p!ssed about the fact that the dealer has to basically pull the engine to fix this. I might just trade the car in rather than trust them to do this pretty major repair. If it could be fixed without yanking the engine, then that would be a different story. The very least that Lexus should do is offer to extend our warranties. Unfreakin believable.
Old 03-11-07, 04:28 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Hey scotty how many miles do you have on the car? From what I hear it happens within the first 10k miles. Any one out there with more miles have this problem?
Old 03-11-07, 06:00 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty99
Just did an oil change and I spotted it on mine after removing the plastic oil filter access cover. The oil has weeped and left a mess all over the right front and bottom of the motor. It looks like the bottom plastic covers are soaking up the drips which is probably why I have not noticed oil in my driveway yet. Many of the wiring harnesses were getting oil soaked also, so I can't imagine what kind of electrical problems I might have in the future. I am pretty p!ssed about the fact that the dealer has to basically pull the engine to fix this. I might just trade the car in rather than trust them to do this pretty major repair. If it could be fixed without yanking the engine, then that would be a different story. The very least that Lexus should do is offer to extend our warranties. Unfreakin believable.
Trading the car in BEFORE doing the repair is extreme, to say the least. Why not get it fixed, and see how it is. If the dealer doesn't do a good job on the repair, then they should give you a great trade-in value.
Old 03-11-07, 06:06 PM
Scotty99
Driver

Originally Posted by purebliss
Hey scotty how many miles do you have on the car? From what I hear it happens within the first 10k miles. Any one out there with more miles have this problem?
Just turned 8800. Again I did not have any oil spots in my garage, so to really verify you DO NOT have a leak, you need to inspect the bottom of the motor through the oil filter access cover with a flashlight. The leak is really weird in that the oil seems to coat the bottom of the engine and wiring harnesses and the bottom engine plastic cover seems to wick any drops which may fall like a sponge therefore you won't ever notice oil spots. I imagine the bottom engine cover will eventually become soaked, in which case, the drops will make it to the garage floor/driveway.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak TSB