IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oil Leak TSB

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-10, 10:16 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmike177

The IS350 has been great, never broke down and is plenty quick and quiet, but these minor issues are of concern about Toyota's quality these days. Steering rack TSB, rear brake caliper TSB, cam gear TSB, engine oil leaks. No biggies as Lexus does fix them for free and get to a loaner during the time, but concerned about long term issues when the car is out of warranty and the costs.

Thus why I never plan to own mine out of warranty... the 8 year platinum warranty is fairly reasonable, especially if you don't put a ton of mileage on....

I could do quite a bit of my own labor if I wished, but Lexus parts are stupid expensive if you have to pay for em out of pocket....

Just about every repair I've seen someone quote here once out of warranty has been like 5-10 times more than it'd run on any other car I've ever owned (cept maybe my Supra, but same company in that sense).
Old 10-01-10, 01:43 PM
penone
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you sooooo much for bringing this thread back up from archives. I have a CPO 2006 and in between the past 2 oil changes my Low Engine Oil light came on twice before I was scheduled for my next oil change.

The first one happened about 250 miles prior to my next scheduled change. Got my oil changed that day and didn't think twice about it.

The last time happened about 1000 miles before (and 2 months before). That time I sensed something was up because it made no sense. Took it to the dealer and waited about 45 minutes or so and they came back and said they could not see anything wrong and they would monitor it on my next oil change. Added 2 quarts of oil and sent me on my way. I am now up again for my next oil change and will definitely bring up this TSB as I am well under the 100,000 mile / 3 year CPO warranty.

Hopefully they won't be **ses about it and give me the run around - as the dealers in the NY area tend to do. (Don't even get me started on the brake dust TSB!!!)

Thanks again!
Old 10-06-10, 11:54 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Update, got the car back:

Dealer performed the following:

- Replaced valve cover gasket from top of the left valve cover.
- Replaced valve springs
- 9LG TSB

- Could not duplicate "TSB for the cam-gear "chatter" upon startup" so no repair done
- Tachometer needle now completely out, but it would have been $500-600 for a new IP console (passed the 4yr bumper to bumper warranty,) so declined that.

There is still a slight burning smell after driving the car a bit, so I think there is still an oil leak in the rear of the engine and will monitor that.

Otherwise, the engine feels smoother now for some reason, and possibly more consistent in the powerband, but that could just be my imagination.

Originally Posted by itsmike177
Have an 06 IS350 with 47k miles on it.

Noticed motor oil all around the oil pan as well as around the oil filter canister when performing an oil change around 4k miles ago. For the oil filter area leak, it was dripping onto the oil filter plastic access tray. I did notice for the past 6-7k miles, there was a slight burning smell on occassion, esp. when walking to the front of the car after turning it off, but didn't think anything of it.

I check the engine oil level weekly and during the past 4k miles, the oil level is still within the high and low points on the dipstick, so the oil leaks must be really slow. I also did not find any oil drops on the garage floor (or maybe they were just one or 2 drops and I didn't notice them.

I have always changed my own oil using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 with a genuine Toyota oil filter and gasket. Never went past 5000 miles on an oil change either.

Car is now at the dealer for maybe a week to repair:
- Possibly front and rear engine seals
- TSB for the cam-gear "chatter" upon startup
- 9LG TSB
- Tach and speedometer needles on the instrumentation panel are burnt out in certain sections.

Car is also out of the 4year bumper to bumper warranty, so the IP cluster might be out of pocket, but the drivetrain should be under warranty (6/70k.)

The IS350 has been great, never broke down and is plenty quick and quiet, but these minor issues are of concern about Toyota's quality these days. Steering rack TSB, rear brake caliper TSB, cam gear TSB, engine oil leaks. No biggies as Lexus does fix them for free and get to a loaner during the time, but concerned about long term issues when the car is out of warranty and the costs.

Will update later....