Creaking Sunroof/Interior Dash Unit Rattling

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 06:23 AM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Creaking Sunroof/Interior Dash Unit Rattling

Hey guys,

I have an 07' IS 250 and thought most of the rattle and minor issues should have been fixed on this year model .

Anyways, Ive noticed when im not playing music and driving with the sunroof closed but the screen moved back that it has a low almost constant creaking noise while I drive over uneven surfaces and bumps and such. There is a TSIB for this right?

Also I also hear a kind of tickering like a plastic piece inside the A/C / Radio controls area of the dash seeming to hit and bounce back and forth constantly.
Is there some sort of TSIB For this also?

Oh and not to mention my door sill rubber things dont really keep the water out because when I open the door the rain just falls onto me and the seat on EVERY door! I reall hope this gets fixed, I know its not an issue at all on my moms 07 GS 350!

Am I just being crazy or are there/ should there be TSIB's for these problems?
Old 02-21-07, 07:37 AM
rroy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SParker1tx
Oh and not to mention my door sill rubber things dont really keep the water out because when I open the door the rain just falls onto me and the seat on EVERY door! I reall hope this gets fixed, I know its not an issue at all on my moms 07 GS 350!
I talked with lexus about this and its a design flaw. I highly doubt there will be a TSB for this, but the other items you describe may lead to one.

Anyone know a good site to browse lexus tsb's?.... that doesnt require a login
Old 02-21-07, 07:53 AM
brel523
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rroy
Anyone know a good site to browse lexus tsb's?.... that doesnt require a login
Try this one...

http://www.lexushelp.com/models/2006/IS/Bulletins.htm
Old 02-21-07, 08:18 AM
gyung
Pole Position

I still haven't gotten these resolved, I had the same problems (didn't notice the rain water though). My rattle in the dash is coming from the center speaker for sure; I can press down on it when it rattles and it goes away. My 10k is finally coming up, so hopefully they fix it THIS time.

The moon roof, however, they pulled out the headliner and put it back ok, padded something, but the creaking/squeak is still there. I can't find where it is, and seems like neither can the stealership.
Old 02-21-07, 08:32 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

I have rattles where the sunroof and inside driver's door. I took the car to dealer for the door rattle and three days 50 miles later my door don't open/close like the other door and they scratch the door panel. I was hessitant to take it there in the first place because I know the risk of ******-ups. If I could do it over, I would not have taken it in. Trust me, they don't know what there doing with rattles! Search this site, a lot of horror stories with dealers on rattles. Trust me!!!!

To pin point the sunroof rattle, they have to remove the headliner. Think how much they can ******-up.
Old 02-21-07, 08:34 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
I have rattles where the sunroof and inside driver's door. I took the car to dealer for the door rattle and three days 50 miles later my door don't open/close like the other door and they scratch the door panel. I was hessitant to take it there in the first place because I know the risk of ******-ups. If I could do it over, I would not have taken it in. Trust me, they don't know what there doing with rattles! Search this site, a lot of horror stories with dealers on rattles. Trust me!!!!

To pin point the sunroof rattle, they have to remove the headliner. Think how much they can ******-up.

Not all people have had bad run ins with their dealership.

Mine has fixed my problems.
Old 02-21-07, 09:27 AM
Firstlps
Driver

Hey guys,

I have an 07' IS 250 and thought most of the rattle and minor issues should have been fixed on this year model .

Anyways, Ive noticed when im not playing music and driving with the sunroof closed but the screen moved back that it has a low almost constant creaking noise while I drive over uneven surfaces and bumps and such. There is a TSIB for this right?

Also I also hear a kind of tickering like a plastic piece inside the A/C / Radio controls area of the dash seeming to hit and bounce back and forth constantly.

Am I just being crazy or are there/ should there be TSIB's for these problems?
I have a GS350 with this sunroof noise took it to the dealer they claim
they do not hear the noise I must admit it is not loud but should
not be there at all.
Old 02-21-07, 09:33 AM
Dj Rando
Pole Position

I had both the same problems. Took my car to Lexus of Cerritos, fixed it, starting happening again, took it back....now the problem is gone for good. I am much happier now...i mean, I drive a lexus, not a honda...there should be 0 noises in my car.
Old 02-21-07, 11:03 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same issue in my previous car with the rubbing/creaking sound of the sunroof.

I got some stuff called gummi pflege and applied it to the rubber seal around the glass. Noise goes away for about 4 months or so. Takes about 2 minutes to apply it so it's no big deal.
Old 02-21-07, 12:13 PM
eddo1
Driver

BMW doesn't sell the gummi phlege anymore because they found it somehow degrades the silicon I think. They have switched to something that is now costing $60 for a few ounces.

I have the same creaking issue also when the car was newer. You can reproduce the noise by just slightly pushing on the sunroff glass towards the back end. But now that creaking has gone away by itself and I hope that it doesn't come back ( i have 5k on the car now). The only thing is that the sunroof has a lot of wind noise when I go above 50mph.
Old 02-21-07, 05:42 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Hey guys,

Squeaks and Rattles happen anytime in the model life, not just at the beginning.

No TSIB yet, but it sounds like your run of the mill IP rattle. What do you do to replicate it?

You mean, when you open the door, you get wet? Umm...things happen when it rains.
Old 02-21-07, 06:57 PM
SParker1tx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rroy
I talked with lexus about this and its a design flaw. I highly doubt there will be a TSB for this, but the other items you describe may lead to one.
Interesting... Thats really upsetting because that is the only one that bothers me everytime it rains... I can always turn up the music and not hear the rattles haha...

Originally Posted by Dj Rando
I had both the same problems. Took my car to Lexus of Cerritos, fixed it, starting happening again, took it back....now the problem is gone for good. I am much happier now...i mean, I drive a lexus, not a honda...there should be 0 noises in my car.
Hopefully I can get the same kind of service when I take my car in for 5k Im at 3.4k Now. I agree Lexus = 0 Noises!!

Originally Posted by al503
I had the same issue in my previous car with the rubbing/creaking sound of the sunroof.

I got some stuff called gummi pflege and applied it to the rubber seal around the glass. Noise goes away for about 4 months or so. Takes about 2 minutes to apply it so it's no big deal.
Thats interesting, if the dealership cannot fix it at my 5k service I'll definitely look into that! Thanks

Originally Posted by Irishman06
Squeaks and Rattles happen anytime in the model life, not just at the beginning.

No TSIB yet, but it sounds like your run of the mill IP rattle. What do you do to replicate it?

You mean, when you open the door, you get wet? Umm...things happen when it rains.
Haha, Ive read that many of the rattles and such have been fixed on 07' Models so I do know that 2007 models on average have less trouble with the squeaking and such.
The squeaking on both is constant so there is no need to replicate it, like i said driving over any bumps or uneven road surface causes it which means constantly in houston haha...
I dont really understand your last paragraph. When I open the door in my garage I get wet. Why? My 1994 Lexus ES never had this issue even after 13 years of its life. Water should not drip on me when I open the door in my garage even if its been a monsoon. It never happened in my old Lexus or my moms new one thats why I feel its an issue that should be fixed! I hate getting nasty water drops all over the seats and not to mention on me!
Old 02-21-07, 08:15 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dj Rando, Where the HELL have you been bro?!?!?!

As for the sunroof, I too have it too. It's pretty much the rubber seal of the sunroof rubbing against the painted surface of the car. I remember on my car old, the TL. Acura had some sort of very clear and thin strips they would tape onto painted surface around the sunroof, and it actually helped alot.

I'm just going to steal my friend's lube for his S2K.
Old 02-21-07, 08:39 PM
Mewbie
Driver School Candidate

I have the same noise beind the steering wheel/instrument panel. It's almost sound like a eletrical short noise. I know it's not electrical but just a creaking sound. Gonna bring it next month for the oil change. I have 07 IS 350 with Lux , ML + NV.
Old 02-21-07, 09:29 PM
rmargiotta
Driver School Candidate

My sunroof rattles too, and it ANNOYS THE **** OUT OF ME!

It is the only rattle, and it only does it when the sunroof is closed and the shade open, and it sounds like if you have one of those old mechanical thermostats in your house and you tap on it and you get the 'springy' rattle.

But I am also very apprehensive about taking it back to the dealer as they scratched the car when they were prepping it the day I BOUGHT IT!

Quick Reply: Creaking Sunroof/Interior Dash Unit Rattling