IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Blown OEM HID headlight bulb

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-07, 12:07 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pocky, I was dumb and didn't tell the service guy to switch out BOTH bulbs so that the color matches. Oh well. It's too much of a hassle for me to take it back now. Although I mentioned the color issue, I'm not that **** to obsess over it. My eyes aren't well-trained enough to see the color difference anyways so bleh.

What was funny was that even for something as simple as a bulb replacement, the dealer (Tustin Lexus) had my car for 4 days! At first, they said they didn't have the bulb so they'll get it from another dealership and then they said that they'd have to order it. 1 day of shipping some how turned into 4. I was w/o my baby for 4 days but at least I got an RX350 to mess around with so that was cool.

Side note, I have my LPS setting on the longest setting for the headlights (10 secs, I think). Even so, when I'm waiting at a red light under a freeway overpass, the headlights will flicker on. Plus, I park in the garage so the headlights go off/on often. I think from now on, I will turn off/on my headlights manually. I just hope I'll remember to do it since I've been used to it being turned on for me automatically...
Old 03-01-07, 02:36 AM
lexuspdx
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine turns on when I start my car in the garage, then goes off too. I better go to manually turning it on.

Does anyone know if we can just replace the OEM HID bulb with the newer D4S 6000K bulbs from xenonvalet? What I mean is are they compatible or do you have to do a full upgrade?
Old 03-01-07, 07:28 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
My car will be 11 months old in 2 more days and about a week ago, the passenger side HID bulb blew out. Did this happen to anyone else? It's not a big deal but I'm just curious if I'm the only one with this problem.

I got the bulb replaced but what pisses me off is a) the car is not even a year old for the bulb to go out like that and b) my headlights are now not the same color because my driver side will be whiter than my passenger side due to the color shift.

And for those of you who are wondering, I DID NOT do a single thing to the bulbs. No mods whatsoever.

I'm wondering if this happened because I leave my headlight on auto so every time I'm under a freeway overpass, the headlights would turn on. Maybe the flickering of off and on all the time burnt out the bulb?

Just to make you feel better that yesterday I saw the new LS have one HID not working. Maybe Lexus is starting to have some electrical issus like bimmer?
Old 03-01-07, 10:36 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexuspdx
Mine turns on when I start my car in the garage, then goes off too. I better go to manually turning it on.
Frustrating that we actually have to resort to this to save bulb life?
Old 03-01-07, 11:10 AM
mort
Lead Lap

These could just be a few isolated cases, as they usually are with this type of thing. If this only happening to a few vehicles, likely not a concern. This is the first time I recall this problem coming up on here and I am sure there are many IS with much more mileage and hours with no problems. This did happen to me on my Infiniti around the 25,000 km point and funny thing is, before I could arrange to have it serviced, the lamp began working again and continued working until I traded the vehicle. I also knew two other Infiniti FX owners with 3 times the mileage who had no problems.
Old 03-01-07, 11:19 AM
vertcobra9
Driver

Does anyone know if we can just replace the OEM HID bulb with the newer D4S 6000K bulbs from xenonvalet? What I mean is are they compatible or do you have to do a full upgrade?
I would like to know this also ... anyone? I believe they have 8000k D4S bulbs now also
Old 03-01-07, 02:44 PM
SILes300
Driver

Originally Posted by pocky
I just changed my OEM HID's to 6000K last night in 35 minutes.
Not all of us are blessed with tiny small hands
Old 03-01-07, 02:49 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Slightly OT, how do you like Tustin Lexus' service?
Old 03-01-07, 03:03 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SILes300
Not all of us are blessed with tiny small hands
LOL! Hey now, whatcha trying to imply?

For future reference.

Changing the HID bulbs or low beams only require removal of the airbox on the passenger side, and the washer fluid neck on the driver side.
Old 03-02-07, 12:34 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mort
These could just be a few isolated cases, as they usually are with this type of thing. If this only happening to a few vehicles, likely not a concern.

I think you're right. But I was thinking about the suggestion that turning lights on/off in close proximity shortens life. If that's true, it's sad to know that anytime we flick our high beams, while wanting to pass someone during the day, that we're continually shortening our HIDs lifespan!
Old 03-02-07, 12:14 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 335i
Slightly OT, how do you like Tustin Lexus' service?
the guy David there is really nice but honestly the service people in the back i don't know if they do any work at all.

the space there is very small and very very high chance for they to curb your wheels and door ding. i check my car completely and i even tell the guy to write down they see no damage before.

now they owe me to fix one of my wheel because made a small curb. i still need to bring it in when i have time.

so you do the math...
Old 03-02-07, 11:39 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

The answer is yes, the bulbs from xenonvalet are compatible w/our cars. Pocky did this and it worked fine. No need for a full upgrade if you already have OEM HID's in your car.

As for Tustin Lexus, I've mainly serviced my car there and have no complaints. They've always been nice/good about giving me a loaner w/no questions asked. I even bring back the loaner on empty and they don't say anything.
Old 03-03-07, 01:17 AM
mctuners
Lead Lap

where did you get your bulb from?
Old 03-03-07, 06:29 AM
caudlek
Driver

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
........My car will be 11 months old in 2 more days and about a week ago, the passenger side HID bulb blew out. ..... my headlights are now not the same color because my driver side will be whiter than my passenger side due to the color shift.....
I replaced one HID bulb over the life of my 2001 IS300 (ran the car for 6.5 years and after the 4th year it failed???) ,,,,,, for the first 4 years i ran them all the time even during the day. I am surprised to hear about the color shift as i didn’t notice a difference on mine. The dealer here in Canada wanted $300cdn each for them (unbelievable) ,,,,, because the bulb was gradually failing (not blown) I ordered 2 OEM off ebay for about $120us (someone is always replacing OEM’s with aftermarket, then sell them).

Buy another to replace the older good one and keep it as a spare for traveling!!!! You'll feel better if they look the same.

As an aside to this story, I also had replaced one of the Lens Housings due to a spotting/discoloring of the clear plastic ,,,,, I am guessing but I think the excess heat of the HID bulbs during the heat of the day combined, to overheat the bulb and Lens somewhat. I only run HID’s during the day now if its raining ,,,,,,, I do this to make me more visible so that some dufus doesn’t pull into my lane as I go by, etc.

KC
Old 03-03-07, 12:37 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pocky
I just changed my OEM HID's to 6000K last night in 35 minutes.
This post is WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS! Post em up man!

Quick Reply: Blown OEM HID headlight bulb