IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Whats this on the audio screen for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-07, 06:33 PM
el3ctone
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats this on the audio screen for?

Hey guys,
I have no idea what is this meter i circled in green on the audio screen is for.
Anyone know?

It seems like it has nothing to do with ambient noise, cuz i opened all my windows and sunroof, and the the meter would drop and rise.

Even when going steady speed it would rise or fall, but not in direct relation to my speed and road noise.
I thought it was the ASL Level Meter

Last edited by el3ctone; 02-22-07 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-22-07, 06:45 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

it's just ASL eyecandy for non-ML systems.
Old 02-22-07, 06:47 PM
rhsmd
Driver

meter is radio sugnal strength.

seat diagram is for imaging, or adjusting sound placement. pus the sound button and play with it.
Old 02-22-07, 06:51 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rhsmd
meter is radio sugnal strength.

seat diagram is for imaging, or adjusting sound placement. pus the sound button and play with it.
The meter is not the signal strength... but thats kinda funny. its actually the level at which the ASL is working... as in, the more bars you see, the louder its making the radio to compensate for ambient noise.

I dont really think it works all that great though, because sometimes it's really noisy outside/inside the car, and it won't increase the volume.... but whatever..

the seat diagram is the DSP sound setting to show what seats are getting optimum sound out of the speakers...
Old 02-22-07, 08:24 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by inecstaz
I dont really think it works all that great though, because sometimes it's really noisy outside/inside the car, and it won't increase the volume.... but whatever..
The manual says it doesn't come on until you hit about 50 mph, I seem to recall.
Old 02-22-07, 11:26 PM
el3ctone
Pole Position

from what i see it is very random, the meter has no relation to speed nor noise. lol maybe its just for looks
Old 02-23-07, 04:23 AM
mail_junky
Rookie

This icon is actually NOT available in the ML system which to me is a bit disappointing. Pay more and get less feature........
Old 02-23-07, 05:28 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mail_junky
This icon is actually NOT available in the ML system which to me is a bit disappointing. Pay more and get less feature........
You're disappointed because you have ML and a billion extra features over the non-ML but you don't have this particular icon? Gimme a break.
Old 02-23-07, 08:08 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
You're disappointed because you have ML and a billion extra features over the non-ML but you don't have this particular icon? Gimme a break.
couldnt agree more! well said!!!
Old 02-23-07, 08:47 AM
mail_junky
Rookie

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I meant I was disappointed because the ML does not give us the feature where you can optimize the sound stage for the driver vs passenger vs backseat passenger (that's what that icon indicates).

When I ordered my car, I was particularly looking forward to be able to optimize the audio imaging for the driver, I saw the feature in the stock system and naturally assumed that it would be available for the ML system , but to my surprise, it was not there when I picked up my car.

Personally, I think the ML system is biased too much towards the center channel and for a lot of music, the vocal seems to come from there, i.e. to the right of the driver.

Originally Posted by kensteele
Old 02-23-07, 10:56 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I meant I was disappointed because the ML does not give us the feature where you can optimize the sound stage for the driver vs passenger vs backseat passenger (that's what that icon indicates).

When I ordered my car, I was particularly looking forward to be able to optimize the audio imaging for the driver, I saw the feature in the stock system and naturally assumed that it would be available for the ML system , but to my surprise, it was not there when I picked up my car.

Personally, I think the ML system is biased too much towards the center channel and for a lot of music, the vocal seems to come from there, i.e. to the right of the driver.
For one thing, you can turn off surround if you don't want most of the sound coming from the center speaker. IMO it sounds a little better that way when playing MP3s.

For another, did you click on the "Sound" icon? That should show you a picture of the seat layout of the car with one horizontal and one vertical line that you can adjust to change the sound balance throughout the car... So you should have that feature unless I'm misunderstanding what you're talking about.
Old 02-23-07, 10:04 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

oh ok, you want the feature, not the icon. i think we (ml owners) have the feature.