IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is Lexus 2IS really that reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-07, 01:13 AM
SILes300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that. My Lexus IS didn't have any problems and neither has my brothers 1st gen IS -180K miles.
Old 02-24-07, 02:52 AM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus Dominates J D Power Survey

by David Finlay (02 June 06)

The J D Power and Associates/What Car? UK Customer Satisfaction study has been dominated by Lexus in recent years, and the 2006 results show that the Toyota-owned brand is continuing to pull ahead of its rivals.

Lexus IS 04.

This year's survey involved the evalutations of 15,000 car buyers after an average two years of ownership. 77 attributes are investigated, divided into four basic groups: quality and reliability of product makes up 30% of the marks, 28% are based on vehicle appeal (including performance, design, comfort and features), 22% on satisfaction with dealer service and the remaining 19% on ownership costs such as fuel consumption, insurance and service/repair costs.

The maximum possible score is 1000. This year, Lexus has blitzed its already outstanding 2005 score, achieving 873 marks. That's 25 more than its nearest rival, and to give some idea of just how impressive that is, here's another statistic for you: in the whole of the list, no other two manufacturers in consecutive positions are anything like 25 marks apart. There is one rare occurrence of a 13-mark gap, but generally the difference is much smaller, and there are several cases of manufacturers achieving the same score.

On top of all that, Lexus actually registered the greatest improvement of any manufacturer over last year's performance. This company is indeed well ahead of the game.

Second on the list is Honda, with 848 - which would have tied with Lexus in 2005. Then comes Skoda (always a strong perfomer in this survey) on 842 and Toyota on 838. BMW and MINI share fifth place, both scoring 820. All are well ahead of the industry average score of 791; the manufacturers closer to this figure are Mercedes-Benz on 795 and Suzuki on 790.

The lowest-scoring manufacturer of all is Citroen, which scored 759 marks. This is obviously a very bad result, but some others were not much better. Land Rover managed just 762, Mitsubishi scored 763, and three manufacturers - Fiat, Peugeot and the now-defunct MG Rover - tied on 764.

Chrysler, Daihatsu, Jeep, Porsche and smart were all included in the survey, but the sample sizes in each case were so small that J D Power decided not to include them in the rankings.

There is also a separate ranking for individual model ranges, and here again there is a long-running battle between Lexus and Honda. The Honda Jazz has topped the list for the last two years, and it's still doing well with 861 marks, but it has been beaten by the Lexus IS range on 868.

Perhaps surprisingly, the next car in the survey is the Suzuki Liana, which gained a phenomenal 48 marks over its 2005 score and is now sitting just behind the Jazz on 856 marks.

Frank Parisi, J D Power's Director of European Automotive Research, notes that "customer satisfaction across the industry has improved by five index points. The main reason for this is a substantial improvement in satisfaction with the performance of the UK's car dealers when the customer takes their car in to be serviced or repaired. This year, 24 of the 30 ranked brands have shown an improvement in this area, which is a very encouraging trend."

Of those 24, the ones that showed the greatest improvement in dealer service satisfaction were Mercedes-Benz, Lexus (again!), Volkswagen and Subaru.

Last edited by warrionex; 02-24-07 at 02:57 AM.
Old 02-24-07, 06:24 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Supershyguy
how can you blame the car for scratches?

I dont understand? wouldnt that be a physical Damage lol
While I'd put it in the category of "durability" as opposed to "reliability", the ability of a paint finish to resist damage from things that a car will inevitably face: acid rain, UV radiation, car washes, passersby leaning on car, etc., are a hallmark of many expensive luxury brands.

Plus new technology promises to make things even better in the future. Nissan has developed (and is testing in Japan) a "self-healing" paint that repairs itself after being scratched. Read about it here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...icle745093.ece and here http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS...1202-01-e.html

Last edited by Bichon; 02-24-07 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-24-07, 08:07 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bygtimaish
not necessarily...you may be speaking about the whole car in general. So your telling me, that when lexus says its extremely reliable, they only mean the engine? everything else sucks?
they might not be perfect, but i think they are more willing to fix your problem(s) than any other car mfg?

you should call lexus customer satisfaction, they are REALLY taking things more seriously than the dealer and they are willing to resolve (and have the power to resolve) your problems......

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by kickin8; 02-24-07 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-24-07, 09:42 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
While I'd put it in the category of "durability" as opposed to "reliability", the ability of a paint finish to resist damage from things that a car will inevitably face: acid rain, UV radiation, car washes, passersby leaning on car, etc., are a hallmark of many expensive luxury brands.

Plus new technology promises to make things even better in the future. Nissan has developed (and is testing in Japan) a "self-healing" paint that repairs itself after being scratched. Read about it here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...icle745093.ece and here http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS...1202-01-e.html
+1

I think your issues are more to do with durability.

Reliability may be defined in several ways:

The idea that something is fit for purpose with respect to time.
The capacity of a device or system to perform as designed;
The resistance to failure of a device or system;
The ability of a device or system to perform a required function under stated conditions for a specified period of time;
The probability that a functional unit will perform its required function for a specified interval under stated conditions.

Thank you Wikipedia.
Old 02-24-07, 10:43 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i think your issue w/ the alignment should be taken care of @ the dealership. idk if this helps, but when i took my car back in for the 10k service they offered me a free alignment that i had to perform within a year of date of purchase. i'd look into that.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 02-24-07 at 10:57 PM. Reason: This topic is not about BMW. Don't add fuel to the fire.
Old 02-24-07, 11:30 AM
fantom
Lead Lap

Well, yes, Lexus and the IS350, for a new model, is very reliable.

Being 17 years old bygtimaish, I assume this is your first new car experience.

IIRC, you've posted that you have "tampered" with your headlights, take your aftermarket intake on and off, argue with your dealership, your IS was rear ended by your brother to the tune of about 3 grand, and who knows what else.

I suggest these issues may be contributing to your frustrations with an otherwise great car. At any age, we all have much to learn.
Old 02-24-07, 02:17 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

A lexus is still a car. It's not some godly creature from outer space... It's going to have issues just like any other car out there. Anyone who buys a car thinking it will be 100% worry free is not thinking straight. As long as the car doesn't give me any major issues with the engine/tranny/drivetrain, i'll be a happy camper I can deal with rattles and minor things going wrong.
Old 02-24-07, 03:05 PM
Style2k6
Pole Position

You mentioned a problem with your windows, Are they tinted by chance and if so did you get them tinted at the dealership or a 3rd party? I know one other member here wrote about an issue with the seals folding under and the fact that there are actually two sets of seals/wipers.
Old 02-24-07, 09:10 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Members, I have removed several personal attacks & rude comments as well as off-topic discussions about 1980's Toyota SUVs and ES models.

Please keep this thread on topic and impersonal or it will be closed.