IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is Lexus 2IS really that reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-07, 04:20 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is Lexus 2IS really that reliable?

Most people who own a Lexus really pride themselves on having the most reliable car out there..but ever since ive had my IS, i've had so many problems..

1. Within the first 2 weeks of my Lexus, my paint was scratched everywhere. On the hood, on the trunk, on the sides, and everywhere else. I know its not that i didnt take care of it, because i did everything possible to keep it in nice and clean.( never an auto car wash either)

2. two weeks later, my right headlight was Waaaay brighter than my left. I literally had people pull up to me at stoplights that i had never met me before, telling me that my headlights was so uneven and that the right one was blinding. So i went to the dealership and got that fixed.

3. A month later the headlight issue happened again. Went BACK to the dealership..and they fixed it again.

4. My alignment is off..why, i dont know?

5. I have rattles coming from everywhere. My roof, the backseat, the door panels, the dashboard.

6. The window seals are messed up. They are folded inward or something..and my windows sweak now, how? i dont know.

so you tell me, is lexus really that reliable?
Old 02-23-07, 04:42 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I think reliability I relate things to the engine. IE @ 2 gazillion miles the car should still crank and drive like day one.

I'm sorry you've had so many issues with your IS, however.. I think you are having more build issues, not really reliability IMO. Just out of curiousity was your IS built at the Tahara plant or the.. other one? Is the 11th number in your VIN a 5 or 2?

Have you tried to address your dealership with these issues and if they can't correct or give you some form of guidance have you spoke with Corporate Lexus?

I have had my car for roughly 6 months, it just rolled over 12k miles and besides that annoying rattle everyone else has in their driver's side A Pillar and the problem with our bumpers being too soft in relation to the paint its been one of the best cars I've ever owned. I'm sorry you're having so many issues. Makes me sad.

I think you should maybe contact Lexus Corporate with your issues.
Old 02-23-07, 04:43 PM
waynetech2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i belive lexus is statistically the most reliable overall..which does mean there are some problems but less than most...i can tell you id rather have a problem with a lexus than gm, bmw..which i have owned bc they will actually take care of the problem quickly....you bought yours new right?
Old 02-23-07, 04:44 PM
JoesIS250
Driver

well since purchasing mines abou 16 months ago i had two recalls ....seatbelt and gas pedal done. i also had a blown front driver's side strut replaced where i had to drive with the bad strut for two weeks until the new strut came from japan. so as one can see a lexus is not perfect but the way i feel is that by purchasing another brand ...with all due respect an american brand and/or german i would be taking more of a chance when it comes to reliability.
Old 02-23-07, 04:53 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I dont know if the new IS is reliable because it just came out. I can say the first gen IS300 is extremely reliable.

Wait till someone hits 100k+ on their IS and ask a response from them.
Old 02-23-07, 05:01 PM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

i have had my IS for a lil over 8 months and about 12k miles and no problems....before i got the IS i drove my dads old GS300 (which we still have) works fine it was a 93....wit hover 150000 miles on it and still works fine...
Old 02-23-07, 05:02 PM
LeXusIS714
Driver

Sorry to hear about your problems. My car is 10 months ago and not a major problem except for the soft paint. I think the paint on the Lexus is not as strong as the Toyota.
Old 02-23-07, 05:03 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

When you speak of Reliability, you talk about the engine and all things mechanical, not cosmetic imperfections.
Old 02-23-07, 05:14 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ldc
When you speak of Reliability, you talk about the engine and all things mechanical, not cosmetic imperfections.
not necessarily...you may be speaking about the whole car in general. So your telling me, that when lexus says its extremely reliable, they only mean the engine? everything else sucks?
Old 02-23-07, 05:27 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

you might have gotten a bad one. it happens sometimes. overall lexus is probably one of the best brands.
Old 02-23-07, 05:36 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you need to understand the differences between Built Quality and Reliability. In some cases they may go hand in hand (e.g a Rolls Royce, hand built with the best parts) but generally speaking (for non Rolls Royce cars and the likes) well built/put together cars (cars without rattles etc) doens't mean they are reliable in the mechanical sense.

Most of us experienced rattles within a month's life of our cars, but that does not mean the car is not realiable. You have to think about things that are more important e.g gearboxes when you think about reliability.

I think most people want a perfect car out of Lexus but there is no such thing a a Perfect car. In time things will go wrong and you would want a car that can "get you home" rather than a rattleless car that needs to be towed home.

Last edited by ldc; 02-23-07 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-23-07, 06:05 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

All of your concerns have nothing to do with reliability. I don't want to sound insensitive here but your paint didn't scratch itself, the fault lies in the wash technique regardless of who is doing it. 2. sounds as if you have a problem with the auto leveling headlight which the dealer should have addressed properly in the first place. 3. How is your alignment off? are the tires wearing unevenly? Are you an aggressive driver? 4.Various squeaks and rattles also should be addressed by the dealership. Sounds to me as if the fault lies in the servicing dealership. But overall IMO I don't think that any of your problems have anything to do with reliability,
Old 02-23-07, 06:55 PM
is4fsr
Lead Lap

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experiences but no problem here. Been driving my IS for 4 months now . No problem so far. My wife's '05 RX330 runs great as if it's brand new. Hopefully you can resolve your problems with th dealer. Good luck.
Old 02-23-07, 07:12 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I don't think you can blame Lexus for scratches on your car... They didn't just happen out of nowhere. Granted the paint is soft, but I've had mine for well over a year and I have very few scratches, and none of them spontaneously appeared out of thin air.
Old 02-23-07, 10:30 PM
Supershyguy
Pole Position

how can you blame the car for scratches?

I dont understand? wouldnt that be a physical Damage lol

Quick Reply: Is Lexus 2IS really that reliable?