IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Regrets with not getting the ML Stereo??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-07, 08:10 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
I do regret not getting it. However, the $K saved can get me an awesome aftermarket system. If you know how to put one together. But the aftermarket dash kit is not avaliable yet. Should be sometime this Summer. Do a search on dash kit for IS.
you don't really need an aftermarket head unit unless you are 1. in love with the eye candy, or 2. obsessed with perfection. the stock unit isn't bad at all and is adequate enough to feed a decent setup. didn't lexus use nakamichi for a while? do they still?
Old 02-27-07, 08:13 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by uschardcor
didn't lexus use nakamichi for a while? do they still?
No, both the base and ML head units are made by Pioneer.
Old 02-27-07, 08:18 AM
mort
Lead Lap

It would have always regretted not getting the ML. Sure you could have an IS now, but four month from now, it will be that much older and without the ML…and you are going to be thinking you could now be taking delivery on a new IS with the ML.
Old 02-27-07, 08:24 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by omgitsroy
i admit.. i dont' have it and i regret it
why?

sound?
some people say they can't tell the difference and some can.

dvd?
you watch movies in your car? I could understand if it was for the back seat...
Old 02-27-07, 08:37 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
why?

sound?

dvd?
you watch movies in your car? I could understand if it was for the back seat...
Some people can't tell the difference between a good sound system and a mediocre system. It just isn't important to them and it is money wasted. Although I haven't listened to a non-ML system in the IS I can say the ML equipped system gives very clean sound with pretty good bass and a clear mid-range, with a real 300 RMS watt amplifier. To me it is worth the relatively low additional cost over the stock system. It is too bad Lexus seems to be constrained to offer more ML equipped vehicles. It seems it is a special order only option in most cases. For those that are patient and can wait it is an option worth ticking off on the order sheet as it gives a lot of bang for the buck.

The DVD angle isn't all that important to me as I don't watch DVD's while driving. Just don't need the distraction and it is too intrusive to enjoying the car. Music from CD's, XM, or my iPod keeps me entertained.
Old 02-27-07, 09:40 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

sound?
I'm not thrilled with the performance of the stock system. At modest listening levels, the system lacks punch. Trying to address it with the tone controls, the bass gets very muddy when boosted, which is why I usually keep mine set either flat or at (-1).
Old 02-27-07, 11:18 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my ML!! Worth the money to me cause I dont plan on upgrading the system, at least for a long time, thats the last thing I need is to void my Navi warranty
Old 02-27-07, 11:38 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I did not get it and do not regret it for one bit! Why spend an extra $1500 on a not so stellar system when you could spend the $1500 on upgrading (on your own) speakers/subs for a much nicer sound? Obviously, if you do not want to open up the car and upgrade them yourself (or have an audio shop do it), then the ML may be a wise choice. But to me, that extra money can be better spent on better equipment for less.

As soon as the car is paid off, i plan on ripping out everything (except the deck) and redoing it all with much better/higher quality components. I miss my old cars custom setup... The SQ was amazing
Old 02-27-07, 12:10 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMut
I did not get it and do not regret it for one bit! Why spend an extra $1500 on a not so stellar system when you could spend the $1500 on upgrading (on your own) speakers/subs for a much nicer sound? Obviously, if you do not want to open up the car and upgrade them yourself (or have an audio shop do it), then the ML may be a wise choice. But to me, that extra money can be better spent on better equipment for less.
+1

that $1500 will go a long way towards getting my new 60" Plasma (1080p whenever they come out) which won't be for my 350 but you get the point.
Old 02-27-07, 12:35 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

You need to go sit in a car with ML and sit in one without. Take a CD with you and your iPOD. Hook them up, turn up the volume, and let your ears decide. If you want the option of watching a DVD in your car while it is parked and the parking brake is on, then go with the ML. Yeah, you can always try the hack so you can watch it while you drive..

Ultimately everyone here will give you THEIR reason for why they did or did not get it and the reasons and/or regrets.

Ask yourself if YOU can hear a difference, and look at the price difference.

If you hear a difference, does it justify the extra money?

I hope you're happy with whichever you decide. No matter what, you are getting a great car, and you will love it either way.
Old 02-27-07, 12:41 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

I regret Lexus not having it more readily available in their cars. Some people can't wait 4 months if they need a new car.
Old 02-27-07, 12:43 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

+1

that $1500 will go a long way towards getting my new 60" Plasma (1080p whenever they come out) which won't be for my 350 but you get the point.
Sidenote: I just bought a Bravia 40" LCD 1080P wall-mountable TV. 1080P is amazing, you are going to LOVE getting one!
Old 02-27-07, 12:52 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

if you play dvd movies and music videos in your car while stationary and while moving, you will be able to better appreciate what this is all about. i understand that it is not for everyone but for those who says it's nothing, you have no idea.

a roof/ski rack is not for me but do you see me going around claiming such is worthless? no.
Old 02-27-07, 12:57 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As soon as the car is paid off, i plan on ripping out everything (except the deck) and redoing it all with much better/higher quality components. I miss my old cars custom setup... The SQ was amazing
Just curious, but why are you waiting until the car is paid off to do your modding? The car is yours now for all intents and purposes (as long as you keep up the payments), so there is no need to wait.
Old 02-27-07, 01:12 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

I did not get it and do not regret it for one bit! Why spend an extra $1500 on a not so stellar system when you could spend the $1500 on upgrading (on your own) speakers/subs for a much nicer sound?
There are actually 2 ML systems. A DVD based one for $1440, and a CD based system for $940. BOTH are very tough to beat for the price.

$1440 buys you
1) 6-Disc DVD changing unit, with 5.1 DTS, DD and DVD-A capability....
2) add a center channel
3) an UPGRADE to 12 speakers
4) an upgrade to 1 sub
5) an upgrade to a 10 channel 300w RMS amp
-NO chance you can beat that... for $1440.

$940 buys you
1) add a center channel
2) an UPGRADE to 12 speakers
3) an upgrade to 1 sub
4) an upgrade to a 10 channel 300w RMS amp

The $1440 or $940 is going to be tough to beat, if they care for the audio. It just sucks that some regions dont even have the option for ML, without a special order.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 02-27-07 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Regrets with not getting the ML Stereo??