IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Regrets with not getting the ML Stereo??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-07, 12:04 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered mine w/o ML!

However, all that time spent reading about the car and it's features, I got too worried about the stock stereo system not meeting my needs and felt as if I might have made a mistake! Than when I picked up my car and listened to the stock system, I was REALLY satisfied! The quality (Bass/Treble) and sound of the system is pretty good for me...

Now, if I ever have the money, than I'll upgrade to an aftermarket system but till than I will save up for other mods...
Old 03-02-07, 01:54 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

IIRC, there's a CL member who is the forum Audio guru, I think his name is Percy. If you do a search, he gives a detailed review of the ML vs stock system in the IS. I remember him giving the ML a thumbs up in terms of value and performance . . .
Old 03-02-07, 04:01 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
No, both the base and ML head units are made by Pioneer.
ML is owned by the Harman group. Their popular brands being Harman Kardon, Infinity and JBL. I doubt Pioneer manufactures the ML equipment. Although these days I suppose you never know.

I wish the ML was available in the 250s, too bad. I think it would take a lot of effort and a bit of luck to create an aftermarket sound that truly rivals the ML system. And 5.1 in the car is sweet, especially with Dual Discs and DVD-A. Although I wouldn't see myself playing movies often, it would be nice to have the option.
Old 03-02-07, 06:55 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^^^ couple of corrections. Bichon said the Headunit is made by Pioneer, the other system related equipment (speakers, amps, crossover, etc) is spec'd by ML (or Harmon Group), altho they could be mf'd by other audio mfrs for ML.

You can order ML on a IS250, but it would have to be a special order since I don't believe that ML equipped 250s are regularly allocated to dealers . . .
Old 03-02-07, 07:13 PM
06-250
Rookie

Originally Posted by bagwell
+1

that $1500 will go a long way towards getting my new 60" Plasma (1080p whenever they come out) which won't be for my 350 but you get the point.

I have a samsung 56" 1080P its awesome you will love it when you get it........
Old 03-02-07, 11:49 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by socalJD
^^^ couple of corrections. Bichon said the Headunit is made by Pioneer, the other system related equipment (speakers, amps, crossover, etc) is spec'd by ML (or Harmon Group), altho they could be mf'd by other audio mfrs for ML.
Couple of corrections, or a couple more baseless speculations?

I understand wacky stuff in the car industry occurs, like Honda providing engines to GM and Toyotas and GM vehicles being identical. I've never seen this in this in the hifi industry. I won't state it as fact, because I don't have definitive proof... but ML is not manufactured by Pioneer. In terms of competition, this would not be unlike saying the Honda Accord is in fact produced by Toyota. These two companies fight for contracts.

Perhaps someone else with more info would like to pipe in?
Old 03-02-07, 11:53 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acbrisker
While I couldn't really tell the difference when I listened to both, I wanted to get everyone else's opinion.
I think you answered your own question right there. If you can't tell the difference, why pay extra $$ + 4 months' wait to get it?
Old 03-03-07, 08:57 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a plasma hater... I own a 1080p 46" LCD TV, the new Sharp Aquos that they had at CES in the spring... Blacker blacks than plasmas...
Old 03-03-07, 01:03 PM
drewj12
Rookie

Originally Posted by 06-250
I have a samsung 56" 1080P its awesome you will love it when you get it........
you guys need to stop being stingy, why worry about money and get one or the other when you can just get both, as I did...
Old 03-03-07, 01:05 PM
drewj12
Rookie

Originally Posted by Technique
I'm a plasma hater... I own a 1080p 46" LCD TV, the new Sharp Aquos that they had at CES in the spring... Blacker blacks than plasmas...
exactly, plasma will be gone in about 5 years because of it degrading performance after a couple years, compared to the up and coming lcd's which just keep getting better and better. I just bought a 61 inch samsung lcd with 1080p support and hd-dvds look sick.
Old 03-03-07, 01:26 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by drewj12
exactly, plasma will be gone in about 5 years because of it degrading performance after a couple years, compared to the up and coming lcd's which just keep getting better and better. I just bought a 61 inch samsung lcd with 1080p support and hd-dvds look sick.

i was starting to take you seriously until you made that bogus statement, plasma will be gone in 5 years? i've had mine for over 4 years and it's performance is not degrading like you think and people told me my plasma tv will be obsolete in 5 years lol. ridiculous. nonsense. rubbish.
Old 03-03-07, 01:32 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
I think you answered your own question right there. If you can't tell the difference, why pay extra $$ + 4 months' wait to get it?

not everyone's ear can tell the difference when they go sit in a car and listen to one cd. maybe he doesn't know what to listen for. but you don't have to be born with that discerning ear either. you can learn to appreciate it over time. you can either say i don't want to know and i don't ever want to know and simply skip ml for the rest of your life or you can get started now in appreciating the finer things in life, it's never too soon. just because you can't swing a golf club doesn't mean it's not for you and you can't learn to swing ever.
Old 03-03-07, 08:04 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
hummm, I'll have to research these again. Thought the verdict leaned a lot towards plasma....oh well, I'm still holding off for approx 1 year to buy.

back on topic, I still like the base stereo with NAV, no regrets
Old 03-03-07, 09:06 PM
caudlek
Driver

I listened to both systems before I bought and decided I wanted the NAV/M.Levinson/rear CAM options. I didn’t really push the different audio systems enough to do a proper compare but I do know the standard audio was very good ,,,,,, I suspect that both systems may share many common components like the FM tuner and some speakers ,,,, which may be why some people don’t hear a difference.

That being said, and only having had my IS350 for 5 days, I can tell you that I am really, really pleased with the ML ….. I plugged in my iRiver today for the first time, expecting it to be next to marginal at best, or downright crappy at worst. What a surprise, it sounds quite good ….. might just permanently plant the iRiver in the console.

For those of you familiar with the earlier IS300 sound system, I found that to be a very good system but lacking in bass,…. the high’s and mid’s were fine for me …… had an aftermarket bass tube installed in the trunk which would rattle the windows if you wanted. I am not a bass thumping type of guy though, so it was never outputting even half of what it could.

KC
Old 03-03-07, 09:35 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
i was starting to take you seriously until you made that bogus statement, plasma will be gone in 5 years? i've had mine for over 4 years and it's performance is not degrading like you think and people told me my plasma tv will be obsolete in 5 years lol. ridiculous. nonsense. rubbish.
Have to agree. Was over at the local AV showroom; they had a Pioneer Elite FHD1 1080p plasma hooked up to a Blu-ray player, and it simply outclassed everything else in the store, including the top-of-the-line Sony Bravia XBR2 and 52" Aquos LCD. Gorgeous.

Quick Reply: Regrets with not getting the ML Stereo??