IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Regrets with not getting the ML Stereo??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-07, 05:34 PM
acbrisker
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regrets with not getting the ML Stereo??

Hey All,

I'm debating myself to death ... whether to order the NAVI/ML package, and wait 4+ months, or go with the stock stereo. While I couldn't really tell the difference when I listened to both, I wanted to get everyone else's opinion. Do most people have regrets they didn't get the ML? Are people happy/satisfied with their stock 13-speaker stereo? Any/all thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I'm just trying to prioritize my options, since this car's price has gone up considerably.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 02-26-07, 05:40 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On CL, you have quite a few people who regret not getting the package and have admitted and probably a few more people who won't admit it. You should get it if you are even remotely thinking you might want it. Once you go ML-less, you more or less cannot go back. What's 4 months?
Old 02-26-07, 05:40 PM
PearlTung
Driver School Candidate

If you can't tell the difference, you probably don't need it...
Old 02-26-07, 05:45 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

I do regret not getting it. However, the $K saved can get me an awesome aftermarket system. If you know how to put one together. But the aftermarket dash kit is not avaliable yet. Should be sometime this Summer. Do a search on dash kit for IS.
Old 02-26-07, 05:46 PM
ar4605
Rookie

I was in the same spot as you and picking up my car with the stock radio. Can't you just change the speakers and system if you get the stock and want something more?
Old 02-26-07, 06:20 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

i regret not getting it because i can't ever see DVD'S, and i wish i had better sound quality even though what i have now is pretty good.
Old 02-26-07, 06:39 PM
Mike V

I wrote to Lexus to see if you can get the ML package without the NAV.
I should hear back by wednesday.

Mike V
Old 02-27-07, 07:15 AM
Haiko
Rookie

Wait the four months.

Oh, and yes there is a big difference in sound quality.
Old 02-27-07, 07:22 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only regret not getting the ML is because I didn't know people can hack it and what dvd....

how much is ML more anyway? It's been a while that I don't remember...
Old 02-27-07, 07:24 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

if you want to sit in your car and watch DVD's, order the ML.
if you're looking for the best possible sound, order the ML.
if you want DVD-Audio MP3's or Audio-DVD, order the ML.

that said, I have NAV with no ML and I'm 110% satisfied with the regular sound system, is sounds wonderful to me and I have zero regrets - I LOVE MY CAR!! besides showing off to people that I can play a DVD, I would never use that feature (if I go anywhere further that 150-200 miles, I always fly not drive...its free for me!).
Old 02-27-07, 07:28 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

I'm disappointed that I don't have ML. For me, it wasn't a question of money, but rather the asinine decision of Lexus and the dealers in this region not to offer ML in the northeast, except by special order. I wasn't going to reward their idiocy by giving my dealer a four month interest free loan in the amount of a deposit. If I had it to do over, I'd have bought the car in a distant state where ML equipped cars were not only sitting on the lot, but also being discounted more heavily than they were in NJ. The additional savings would likely have covered the cost to truck the car here.
Old 02-27-07, 07:41 AM
lexusscguy
Pole Position

I have the Navi and no ML too, I also listen to both systems, mine and the ML and not only could I not hear a difference, but neither could my wife or my 2 friends that were with me. Now as far as watching a DVD, why would you want to watch a DVD sitting in the car, I don't plan on sitting in the car for 2 hours to watch a movie. Now you will have alot of people say well you can do the hack and watch a DVD while the car is moving, well I hope I don't live close to any of those people, since I believe you should be watching the road ahead of you. Then they will say it's great for the passenger to watch, well then if that's the case, the money you save not getting the ML, you can have a great rear entertainment system installed, since that's were the passengers watching the movie should be anyway. And a little benefit from that is you don't violate the warrenty for the Navi, like you do when you start cutting wires. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-27-07, 07:42 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i admit.. i dont' have it and i regret it
Old 02-27-07, 07:53 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

if you are the "I want to keep everything stock", then the ML option is not a bad idea.....cos ML/NAV will limit you from doing any kind of "upgrades".
Old 02-27-07, 08:06 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

When I tried to sell an ML head unit. 15+ people emailed me about it. So I know there is a lot of Regret. And they were just interested in DVD play. So there are probably a lot more people who regret not having it... for its audio abilities

Even I regretted it.. when I had my first car without ML.

Quick Reply: Regrets with not getting the ML Stereo??