IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

MP3 DVD's can somone explain PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-07, 10:01 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
i would like to understand this also. i use the iTunes software and i followed the instructions but it wont allow me to burn them as MP3 format? i was just recently told that the songs on that are locked so you dont share them? i have an Ipod but find its a pain to use when driving and would rather have a few MP3 cds that i can use on the head unit. has anyone done this??? please let me know if you have any ideas on how to make this work!

thank you
You CANNOT burn/convert protected AAC's to MP3s. You can burn AACs to CD/CD-R, and re-rip back into MP3 format.
Old 02-27-07, 10:52 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Contrary to what some will tell you (ie. Technique), the ML will NOT play MP3 DVD's. There is software that will convert and burn MP3s to DVD-A (MP3s -> AC3), which will play in the ML.
Correct. In order to burn MP3's to a DVD, you will need a program (like music disc creator from roxio) which will automatically convert your mp3 files to ac3 format. This is all transparent to the user though. You just drag and drop your mp3 files into the "burn DVD" window and it plays flawlessly on the ML+NAV stereo in our cars.
Old 02-27-07, 01:48 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
thanks...so i can download this Nero Express software and just transfer my library of songs to that and it will allow me to burn in MP3 format? i have never done this before so forgive me as i just want to make sure i do understand. thanks for your reply!
dont worry about asking too many questions, that's what the forum is for! all the owners get together to share info!

that's what i did and it worked!

let us know and keep us posted.

have fun!
Old 02-27-07, 01:49 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Originally Posted by Technique
Correct. In order to burn MP3's to a DVD, you will need a program (like music disc creator from roxio) which will automatically convert your mp3 files to ac3 format. This is all transparent to the user though. You just drag and drop your mp3 files into the "burn DVD" window and it plays flawlessly on the ML+NAV stereo in our cars.
corret me if i am wrong:

isnt it right you will lose sound quality when you convert from mp3 to ac3 then back to mp3 format(s) ??
Old 02-27-07, 01:58 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin8
corret me if i am wrong:

isnt it right you will lose sound quality when you convert from mp3 to ac3 then back to mp3 format(s) ??
Well, you are just converting once, from mp3 to ac3... The burned dvd will play the ac3 files...

Honestly, as far as "lose sound quality" I don't know... I didn't notice any difference, but I think that anytime you convert anything you lose "slight" sound quality... Right? But maybe not enough for the human ear to detect...

I didn't start with 384kbps flawless mp3 files though... I just download mp3 files from the internet and stuff...

Anyway, I'm sure this whole quality thing has been endlessly debated on audiophile forums... So maybe go check there for a complex answer

But personally, I didn't notice the ac3 files sounding any different from the original mp3s...
Old 02-27-07, 02:02 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Originally Posted by Technique
Well, you are just converting once, from mp3 to ac3... The burned dvd will play the ac3 files...

Honestly, as far as "lose sound quality" I don't know... I didn't notice any difference, but I think that anytime you convert anything you lose "slight" sound quality... Right? But maybe not enough for the human ear to detect...

I didn't start with 384kbps flawless mp3 files though... I just download mp3 files from the internet and stuff...

Anyway, I'm sure this whole quality thing has been endlessly debated on audiophile forums... So maybe go check there for a complex answer

But personally, I didn't notice the ac3 files sounding any different from the original mp3s...
hm....interesting.

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-27-07, 02:17 PM
jt4you
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the info guys, that audio dvd program costs money to use so im just going to make cd's with mp3's on it or just use my ipod lol forget the dvd thing!
Old 02-27-07, 02:28 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin8
corret me if i am wrong:

Why would you convert the AC3 back to MP3??? You already have the first MP3!
Old 02-27-07, 03:56 PM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Why would you convert the AC3 back to MP3??? You already have the first MP3!
Second the motion !

The questions posted in this thread were clearly answered ! Anymore questions, so we can move alone ???