IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What kind of gas do you use?
41.66%
5.18%
46.61%
I'll put anything in there CHEAP!
6.55%
Voters: 1313. You may not vote on this poll

The mother of all 2IS gas discussions. Premium or Mid-grade (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-06, 08:57 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it makes no (or negligible, unnoticable) difference, then why spend the extra money just because you can afford it?
Old 08-24-06, 09:02 AM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pumping regular just to save $3 is not worth it for this car...you always get what you pay for.
Old 08-24-06, 09:12 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by foe84
thank you

why put 87 octane in to save 4 bucks...in the end trying to save four bucks is gonna cost you more when you have to fix your car. just dont buy coffee 3/4 days and there you go.
what if you already don't buy coffee???
Old 08-24-06, 09:35 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i still fill up premium on my prelude it probably makes a 5 dollar difference all month (since I live so close to work) affects me little I can bring my lunch one day to work and pay for the price difference for the rest of the month
Old 08-24-06, 10:00 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chad
Wanna show me that statute or a link to somewhere confirming this? B/C there's a lot of vehicles out there that say "Premium Unleaded Only" on their gas caps.
I woudl like to see this too.

But i agree wtih most of you. The difference is small and if you're not filling up more than once a week, IMO, premo fuel isn't that much more a month to regular/mid-grade.
Old 08-24-06, 12:21 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

Originally Posted by foe84
thank you

why put 87 octane in to save 4 bucks...in the end trying to save four bucks is gonna cost you more when you have to fix your car. just dont buy coffee 3/4 days and there you go.

Let's see here...when the pcm detects spark knock from lower octane fuel it adjusts the timing accordingly so detonation does not occur and therefore no damage is done, so my ? to you is what exactly is gonna break and cost all this money to fix? I myself use the highest octane available but not because something is gonna break if I don't.
Old 08-24-06, 12:36 PM
StockIS350
Rookie

Read the manul in the rear section, they recommend 91 or higher, also the manual advised excessive pinging can damage your engine,

the computer will retard timing and you do have a knock sensor to prevent mis-firing, but it will affect performance
Old 08-24-06, 01:32 PM
MJB_LEX
Rookie

Originally Posted by StockIS350
Read the manul in the rear section, they recommend 91 or higher, also the manual advised excessive pinging can damage your engine,

the computer will retard timing and you do have a knock sensor to prevent mis-firing, but it will affect performance
This is true for most cars which require premium fuel, but true only to a point for the IS. The IS Engines have a high compression ratio; 11.8 for the 2GR-FSE (350) and 12.0 for the 4GR-FSE (250). The high compression ratio is possible due to the direct fuel injection, like modern diesel engines have.

Octane is a measure of how easy or difficult the fuel is to ignite; the higher the octane, the more difficult the fuel is to ignite, the lower the number, the fuel is eaiser to ignite.

OK. Therefore, when the knock sensor detects knocking, it will adjust the timing to compensate for the knock, but due to the high compression ratio, it can only adjust the timing up to a point. If the octane is too low (eaiser to ignite), the fuel will ignite due to high compression before the spark and you will have knocking.

Shock waves are created when an engine has pre ignition or knock.The knocking sound you hear from outside the car is actually the sound of those shock waves hitting the cylinder walls in your engine.

My advice to you, then, would be if you think $3-$4 per tank is killing your wallet now, just wait until you get the bill for the engine damage caused by driving for thousands and thousands of miles with shock waves hitting your cylinder walls.

If you cannot afford premium fuel, then I would recommend trading the car for one which burns 87.
Old 08-24-06, 01:51 PM
foe84
Rookie

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
what if you already don't buy coffee???

then you already are ahead and should be putting in the right stuff
Old 08-24-06, 01:54 PM
ocdavid
Rookie

Lightbulb

To further elaborate...

If you know how car engines work, you know that almost all cars use four-stroke gasoline engines. One of the strokes is the compression stroke, where the engine compresses a cylinder-full of air and gas into a much smaller volume before igniting it with a spark plug. The amount of compression is called the compression ratio of the engine. A typical engine might have a compression ratio of 8-to-1.

The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

The compression ratio of your engine directly determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more.

-from HSW
Old 08-24-06, 02:14 PM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GPM
Ive always just stuck to 94 (premium) in turbo charged cars and 87 (regular) in NA cars... I dont think it really makes a difference unless your turbocharged
Whats 94?? our premium here is 91... where are you?? i want better gas!
Old 08-24-06, 04:02 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ocdavid
To further elaborate...

If you know how car engines work, you know that almost all cars use four-stroke gasoline engines. One of the strokes is the compression stroke, where the engine compresses a cylinder-full of air and gas into a much smaller volume before igniting it with a spark plug. The amount of compression is called the compression ratio of the engine. A typical engine might have a compression ratio of 8-to-1.

The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

The compression ratio of your engine directly determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more.

-from HSW
I understand all that. I think the argument here is that even regular fuel is not very likely to combust prematurely very often.
Old 08-24-06, 04:05 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mercy0171
I will only use the 97 but I didn't notice any ping when the "non english" speaking gentlemen put 87 in my NEW IS with 500 miles on it ! So I thought I would ask around.
where do you get 97 out of a pump, in columbus, 93 is the best money can buy...
Old 08-24-06, 05:53 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hip_hop77
Whats 94?? our premium here is 91... where are you?? i want better gas!
i thought you had to get it somewhere special. im in san diego, and everything here is 91 for premium except for one gas station like 30-40 min away with 97 or something. how much does stuff like that go for? i mean its like $3.20 for 91 and we're the most expensive in the country i think...
Old 08-24-06, 06:11 PM
mercy0171
Driver School Candidate

I started the post and agree it is not worth 4 bucks a tank to even risk issues. What is 4 bucks when u just spent 40 g"s. But I started the post because I aked for a fill of 93 on my second tank ever of gas in the NEw car and the guy didn't iunderstand english and used 87. I freadked and wondered what is any damage might have been done in one tank. I guess nothing as long as you don't always fill with the cheap stuff.

Quick Reply: The mother of all 2IS gas discussions. Premium or Mid-grade (merged threads)