IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What kind of gas do you use?
41.66%
5.18%
46.61%
I'll put anything in there CHEAP!
6.55%
Voters: 1313. You may not vote on this poll

The mother of all 2IS gas discussions. Premium or Mid-grade (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-06, 12:18 PM
eg6turbo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
so don't make assumptions based on past experience. Other Toyota/Lexus engines in the past were very tolerant of fuel selection. The GS300/IS250/IS350 are a new breed of cat. They require fancy feast not meow mix.....

Rock

good points!!!

the is350 is like a tuned athlete...sure you can feed him bread and water...but why??

the is has 11.5: 1 compression ratio...i would hate to be like "i told you so"...
Old 02-05-06, 12:52 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Did you know, that if there is only one handle per pump, then you will get about 1 gallon of whatever was previously pumped.

That sucks! So if you pull up to a pump where someone last used 87, you will get 1 gal of 87. When you leave, whomever drives up next will get 1 gal of 93.
Are you for REAL!!!!??? This is rediculous... they don't charge us 87 octate prices for that first gallon, can this be substantiated?

BTW, regarding the 87 vs. premium debate. I think people who don't buy name brand at the grocery, to save money (myself included) often feel they can apply the same outlook to gasoline--in regards to octate. I used to do this but this being my first new car I am willing to spend the extra few bucks a tank for both performance and added reliability!

Last edited by ES3; 02-05-06 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-05-06, 05:25 PM
eg6turbo
Rookie

Originally Posted by ES3
Are you for REAL!!!!??? This is rediculous... they don't charge us 87 octate prices for that first gallon, can this be substantiated?

BTW, regarding the 87 vs. premium debate. I think people who don't buy name brand at the grocery, to save money (myself included) often feel they can apply the same outlook to gasoline--in regards to octate. I used to do this but this being my first new car I am willing to spend the extra few bucks a tank for both performance and added reliability!
this is not true at least here....there is system that vacuums the gas back into the tank after the selected grade is used....most people think that the gas just stays in the hose but it doesnt...the tank below the surface is hooked up to several pumps...these pumps have two hoses connected to them at the actual pump....one to deliver the fuel and the other to collect the fumes the gasoline is letting off so they dont lose money...that whole thing is a myth
Old 02-05-06, 07:12 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Default 104 octane

Hey does anyone remember back in 1990 when sunocco had
a 104 Octane pump at their station.. It costed about $3.60 per gallon..
Which was a lot condersing gas was about $1.30 a gallon then.. lol
The following users liked this post:
MadMack58 (05-27-21)
Old 02-05-06, 07:44 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
I was at the gas station earlier and the guy accidentaly chose the cheapest (89) instead of the best (93). Fortunately the pump stopped after just $0.11 worth of cheap gas went into my tank. Does anybody know if this will affect my car (engine, hp, etc)? If this amount is too little, what would happen to the car if half tank or more was filled up with cheap gasoline? Thanks
dude, you guys have 93 over there
Old 02-05-06, 09:24 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eg6turbo
this is not true at least here....there is system that vacuums the gas back into the tank after the selected grade is used....most people think that the gas just stays in the hose but it doesnt...the tank below the surface is hooked up to several pumps...these pumps have two hoses connected to them at the actual pump....one to deliver the fuel and the other to collect the fumes the gasoline is letting off so they dont lose money...that whole thing is a myth
This is interesting. Is there anywhere on the web where I could read about this? Thanks
Old 02-05-06, 09:36 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by shaolin
dude, you guys have 93 over there
All of the Sunoco stations in NJ have 94.

When I had my Audi, I drove over to Raceway Park in Englishtown and bought some 103 octane race gas. (Turbo engines, especially those with performance chips, LOVE octane). Price was INSANE.
Old 02-06-06, 07:55 AM
Aclarke
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
In both New Jersey and Oregon, it is illegal to pump your own gas. It's a stupid outdated law that should have been repealed years ago, but some powerful disability groups have successfully lobbied to keep it in place.

Believe me, it's nothing like the old days when a friendly attendent would clean your windshield and offer to check the oil. More typically, a surly immigrant who barely speaks English pumps it. They are usually pretty careless about removing the nozzle and frequently drip gas on the side of your car.

Exactly why I get out and grab it from the guy and do it myself... sure he looks at me weird, but at least I know my car is in my hands and no one elses... First time I filled my tank the attendant let it drip like 3 or 4 times and just stared blankly.... well... that was all I needed to see for me to get out of the car from now on...

Is it really illegal?
Old 02-06-06, 08:00 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aclarke
Exactly why I get out and grab it from the guy and do it myself... sure he looks at me weird, but at least I know my car is in my hands and no one elses... First time I filled my tank the attendant let it drip like 3 or 4 times and just stared blankly.... well... that was all I needed to see for me to get out of the car from now on...

Is it really illegal?
In Jersey, yes. Don't you live there? Every time I drive home to MA from VA, make sure I have enough gas to get me around Jersey just for this reason
Old 02-06-06, 08:18 AM
mtnduc
Driver

DO NOT PUT RACE GAS IN YOUR CAR !!!!
Unless you want to buy new catalytic convertors.
I wouldn't use a 105+ & 87 octane cocktail either.
Old 02-06-06, 08:21 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mtnduc
DO NOT PUT RACE GAS IN YOUR CAR !!!!
Unless you want to buy new catalytic convertors.
I wouldn't use a 105+ & 87 octane cocktail either.
High octane has nothing to do with killing cats... high lead content does (which is often found in race fuel).
Old 02-06-06, 08:25 AM
mtnduc
Driver

Originally Posted by heffergm
High octane has nothing to do with killing cats... high lead content does (which is often found in race fuel).
Yes sir....you are correct!
One of the earlier posts mentioned a high octane cocktail and I was just cautioning against that process.
I run 105 or 110 in my bikes mainly because I love the smell.
Old 02-06-06, 09:35 AM
NjDude
Pole Position

Well, here is a thought, when I took delivery of my car last week, the dealer already had the tank filled up. So what if they only had 89 in the car !!! Not sure if they would have gone to the extend to fill up with 91 or 93?
Old 02-06-06, 09:36 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnduc
Yes sir....you are correct!
One of the earlier posts mentioned a high octane cocktail and I was just cautioning against that process.
I run 105 or 110 in my bikes mainly because I love the smell.
I was the one who mentioned putting 103 octane in my Audi. Despite the high octane, the fuel was unleaded. (Don't even think it's possible to put leaded in without great effort, as the pump nozzle for leaded is too big to fit in an unleaded car) They had leaded gas too, and that had even higher octane - 110 if I recall correctly. Lots of the S4 guys run high octane unloaded - either race gas or by adding Toluene, and I've never heard of anyone killing their cats.
Old 02-06-06, 09:39 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aclarke
let it drip like 3 or 4 times
Am I the only one who turns the handle upside down before putting it back on the pump, to avoid drops?

Quick Reply: The mother of all 2IS gas discussions. Premium or Mid-grade (merged threads)