IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: do you have any door dings?
yep, i have dings and will live with them
28.45%
yep, i have dings and will try the side molding
1.72%
nope, I'm ding free but will consider side molding to protect it
6.03%
nope, no dings but side molding looks terrible in the 2IS
63.79%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

door dings - who's got'em? would you consider body side molding to cover up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-07, 04:17 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Are the OEM BSMs just painted, or are they actually body colored plastic (ie don't show scratches or chips)?
Don't know for sure, as now they are installed I have no way of checking underside. I seem to remember that the underside was dark grey but did not pay special attention to it. One way would be to go to the dealer and view say a white one and that of another color. If the undersides are the same color it is a good bet that they are painted. I know that there is a dealer in Texas (can't remember the name...but see them referenced here frequently as a good service mail order site with a 1-800 number) that you can call and ask. Hope this helps.
NGG
Old 03-01-07, 04:40 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NGG
Don't know for sure, as now they are installed I have no way of checking underside. I seem to remember that the underside was dark grey but did not pay special attention to it. One way would be to go to the dealer and view say a white one and that of another color. If the undersides are the same color it is a good bet that they are painted. I know that there is a dealer in Texas (can't remember the name...but see them referenced here frequently as a good service mail order site with a 1-800 number) that you can call and ask. Hope this helps.
NGG
How about taking a knife out to your BSM's to "test" them?
Old 03-01-07, 05:01 PM
NGG
Pole Position

How about taking a knife out to your BSM's to "test" them?
After you do the same to your paint to determine the color of the primer
Old 03-01-07, 05:13 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NGG
After you do the same to your paint to determine the color of the primer
It was painfull, but here it is...
Attached Thumbnails door dings - who's got'em? would you consider body side molding to cover up?-untitled.jpg  
Old 03-01-07, 05:20 PM
NGG
Pole Position

It was painfull, but here it is...
You sure know how to follow instructions Sorry about that chip...looks like it needs the product advertised on Langka.com or Dingdefender.com. Not sure how good these are, but you can research their reviews. Good luck!
Old 03-01-07, 05:25 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

That was a HUGE rock chip on my roof near the front passenger door. Here it is now after touching it up with an insulin needle.
Attached Thumbnails door dings - who's got'em? would you consider body side molding to cover up?-untitled.jpg  
Old 03-01-07, 05:35 PM
NGG
Pole Position

That was a HUGE rock chip on my roof near the front passenger door. Here it is now after touching it up with an insulin needle.
Did you have to "thin" the touch-up paint to get it to flow thru the insulin needle. I ask as we give our dog insulin shots and those needles do not look as though they could handle a liquid with the viscosity of touch up paint. Also how many coats did it take to fill the mini crater? Also, if the chip was on a vertical surface, how did you prevent the paint from running?
Old 03-01-07, 05:40 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NGG
Did you have to "thin" the touch-up paint to get it to flow thru the insulin needle. I ask as we give our dog insulin shots and those needles do not look as though they could handle a liquid with the viscosity of touch up paint. Also how many coats did it take to fill the mini crater? Also, if the chip was on a vertical surface, how did you prevent the paint from running?
The chip was on a horizontal surface, but we filled in MANY vertical chips too. My buddy mixed the paint himself, so I guess it probably was thinner than regular touch up paint.
Old 03-01-07, 05:53 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

BTW, he just did one "coat" of paint. The small chips are invisible, but the roof crater is visible if you REALLY look for it. I will never do touch-up any other way again.
Old 03-01-07, 06:45 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Are the OEM BSMs just painted, or are they actually body colored plastic (ie don't show scratches or chips)?
they're painted to match (color codes).

I may get the BSM but wait to install them until I get some dings (that way I know where to place the BSM correctly ).

Last edited by bagwell; 03-01-07 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-01-07, 06:57 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
I may get the BSM but wait to install them until I get some dings (that way I know where to place the BSM correctly).
That sounds crazy! You never know where the dings are going to go, so you might as well put the molding on the widest part of the arc in the door panel.
Old 03-01-07, 07:01 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

That sounds crazy! You never know where the dings are going to go, so you might as well put the molding on the widest part of the arc in the door panel.

I forgot the (kidding) in my post -- I edited it.
Old 03-01-07, 07:07 PM
acsan
Driver

How about those "paint rubs" or paint residue coming from the culprit car? What do you guys recommend using to take them off? I got most of it off but there's still a small dot that doesn't want to come off.
Old 03-01-07, 07:11 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by acsan
How about those "paint rubs" or paint residue coming from the culprit car? What do you guys recommend using to take them off? I got most of it off but there's still a small dot that doesn't want to come off.
I'm no expert, but I would start with the least abrasive technique (clay), and move toward the more agresivie (polish, rubbing compound, high speed buffing, etc.) until it's gone.
Old 03-01-07, 07:32 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

I'm no expert, but I would start with the least abrasive technique (clay), and move toward the more agresivie (polish, rubbing compound, high speed buffing, etc.) until it's gone.
most of the time a cleaner wax is sufficient, rubbing or polishing compounds are too harsh.

Quick Reply: door dings - who's got'em? would you consider body side molding to cover up?