IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Driving in Snow with IS350

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-07, 08:51 PM
Sundance
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcho82
I've got a set of 17's I got from tire rack with Blizzak snow tires. I love them. Despite the pounding of snow we've got the last month or two, they've been great, and haven't had any second thoughts of driving my 350 out on those days.
Next winter I will have snow shoes for this baby.

I have had my IS 4 a little over a week now and needless to say my encounter with old man winter last night on summer tires was very uncomfortable.
Finding those 17's for your snow shoes was a great idea !

I'm gonna start thinking that way

Sundance
Old 03-01-07, 09:21 PM
neova
Pole Position

folks, i don't understand why people get "caught" out in snow storms.

If you live in an area where it gets at least some snow more than 4-5 times each winter, then you should regularly put on snow tires during the winter months. Snow tires isn't just for snow, it's also required on dry winter days when the temperature is below freezing, because your summer tire compound will harden up and lose all traction in this weather.

And all-season tires are INADEQUATE in our RWD cars. Only snow tires will do. The FWD and AWD can get away a little bit by riding on all-seasons because they have better drivetrain for stability and road holding for directional changes, but in the end only snow tires will give you grip for starting/breaking on snow/ice.

Every November I start riding on snow tires, and don't get back on my summers until late late March/April. Sometimes when I think about it, it's dangerous on the road during winter not because of the snow, but because there are too many cars without proper tires for adequate control.

It only takes one accident to lose your life so stay safe and put on your snow tires folks!

Last edited by neova; 03-01-07 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-01-07, 10:03 PM
yov6cam
Driver

I gave my IS350 with Dunlop M3's a good run in about a good 4+ inches of snow across the city and it handled pretty well. I would say it performed just as well as my old Accord with FWD all seasons. Still hate driving in the snow though!
Old 03-01-07, 10:31 PM
aira
Pole Position

The snow owned me a couple times even with blizzaks. lol.
Old 03-02-07, 06:45 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I feel in love with the IS 350 and had to buy one this fall. My one big concern that I had was going to be the performance in snow. I have always had RWD cars and never put snows on them and never had any major issues getting around in the snow storms we have up here in Toronto. When I bought the IS350 I had it delivered with 17" wheels and the Blizzaks installed. Well I have to say that after two big snow storms I'm impressed. I haven't got stuck anywhere so far, and I have done quite well getting around even in unplowed streets. My garage opens onto an unplowed laneway. I leave for work soooo early that no one else has driven through it yet. Despite that I was able to get through the laneway, then another unplowed laneway, onto an unplowed side street then onto one of the major streets. It took some adjusting of my driving habits to get used to the way RWD works in the snow but it is all for the better. If you do start to slide or get stuck on an embankment, you can easily rock the car front and back to get out of being stuck. This happened trying to get into the parking lot at work where the city had plowed the street and left a bit of a pile of heavy snow crossing my path. The entrance to the parking lot is inclined so I had to go through the pile of snow, while making a right hand turn from the street and go up the incline. I got stuck but easily unstuck my self and got up around and into my deep snowed parking space. I had worse times with the FWD car than that.
Old 03-02-07, 07:39 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gsCrazy
definitely get snow tires asap.

i've been using the michelin alpin snow tires and they are great even with the rear wheel drive gs so they would probably do just as well on your is. the difference in grip is night and day even when compared to the bridgestone turanzas i have... you still have to be careful in the snow though!
how's the drive when there is no snow? you still get the same miles or feel on the normal road?
Old 03-02-07, 07:49 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know why people even TRY to drive the 350 in the winter in Snow with summer tires. Are people just that misinformed?

At least have all seasons or get snows. Driving on Summer tires is asking for trouble in conditions below 40 degrees.

Your tires become hockey pucks and harden. They cannot flex and provide next to no grip. At least with an all season you'll be able to get around somewhat because the tire compounds are at least made for colder conditions.

If you're going to spend 35K+ on a nice car, it should be almost a no brainer to pick up a set of winter wheels if you live in a colder climate. Or at the VERY least swap the summer tires for some all seasons.

You wouldn't go snowboarding wearing a pair of Nike's made for tearing up the basketball court. Dress for the occasion.
Old 03-02-07, 07:56 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i am in IL also and have never changed a set of tires in my life except to put aftermarket rims with performance tires. you just have to know your limits. guess what i am driving the Lexus...summer tires and all. i have had no problems at all...
Old 03-02-07, 08:36 AM
cip
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2
i am in IL also and have never changed a set of tires in my life except to put aftermarket rims with performance tires. you just have to know your limits. guess what i am driving the Lexus...summer tires and all. i have had no problems at all...
me, too. The only time I had a problem with my old SC was when the tires were worn down to the indicator bars. Adjust your driving to the conditions or wait for the salt trucks to come through & you're fine. I drive my car year-round... I mean c'mon it's been snowing in the northern-half of this country long before front-drive (& AWD) became popular..back when 80% of cars were RWD... slow down & stay out of the way of the dummy behind you
Old 03-02-07, 08:41 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Its not really about knowing your limits, its about knowing the limits of what a tire and car is designed to do and not to do. Sure we could all find a way to crawl home given any circumstance. But what about the next time someone decides to run a red light and you've already started entering the intersection. Your summer tires will slide you straight ahead, despite VDIM and Traction etc.... Winter tires will grip the road and stop you much sooner.

In accidents we all know the difference of a few feet can mean life or death in some circumstances.

We'd have a lot less accidents if people like you just didn't drive in the winter. And in no means is this an attack on you or your driving ability. My comment is solely based on you driving on summer tires in the winter. It's just stupid.
Old 03-02-07, 08:48 AM
cip
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tcho82
Its not really about knowing your limits, its about knowing the limits of what a tire and car is designed to do and not to do. Sure we could all find a way to crawl home given any circumstance. But what about the next time someone decides to run a red light and you've already started entering the intersection. Your summer tires will slide you straight ahead, despite VDIM and Traction etc.... Winter tires will grip the road and stop you much sooner.

In accidents we all know the difference of a few feet can mean life or death in some circumstances.

We'd have a lot less accidents if people like you just didn't drive in the winter. And in no means is this an attack on you or your driving ability. My comment is solely based on you driving on summer tires in the winter. It's just stupid.
hmmm... interesting.. so by your estimation no one with a 4x4 should get into accidents... WOW...
Old 03-02-07, 08:56 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

That's not what I'm inferring. If you read it correctly. Driving with summer tires in the middle of winter in Chicago is just stupid. I shouldn't be the only one here that can attest to that.

At the very least if you live in Chicago you should be smart enough to get all seasons.

Where did I say anything about a 4x4?
Old 03-02-07, 08:59 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Summer tires are called that for a very specfic reason....
Old 03-02-07, 08:59 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cip
hmmm... interesting.. so by your estimation no one with a 4x4 should get into accidents... WOW...
you must drive on the same roads i do ...lol
Old 03-02-07, 09:00 AM
cip
Pole Position

OK tcho82. I looked at the initial question & wanted to share my thoughts... I wasn't coming here to call anyone stupid for doing this or that..blah, blah, blah. The original questions: how bad is driving in the snow, is it possible, what else besides new tires can be done. It's not that bad, it is possible, slow down.

Nice talking w/ you....

Originally Posted by ar4605
How bad is it driving in the snow? Is it possible? Is there anything I can do about it besides new tires? Does the car have any features that I can use for the snow? I am in Boston where it snows a lot in the winter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Driving in Snow with IS350