IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Just Got Rear-Ended, Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-07, 12:27 PM
apham27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everybody, I got home late last night so didn't get a chance to read through all the responses until now. I just want to start by thanking everyone of you here for your responses and help. So many of you chimed in with helpful advice so I won't single everyone out but I really do appreciate the advice and help from everyone.

A bit of an update: Her insurance company called me today. I think they are Traverler's Insurance. She asked me what happened and I know you guys had warned me about not saying more than was necessary but I just wanted to get all the facts in so I told them we were both in the right lane, she accelerated to switch lanes and wasn't able to and ended up hitting my car (we were moving in traffic not stopped at a red light). The lady on the phone gave me a claim number and the name and phone number of the person who was going to be handling the claim. An adjuster from the Traveler's company is coming out to check my car tomorrow or Tuesday. The lady on the phone said they'd give me an estimate, I could take it anywhere for repair, I'd get reimbursed for loaner car, and they'd cut a check to me directly. She also says that my side of the story matches with what the person who hit me told them as well. I stressed that this car was mint condition, had few miles, and is parked in garage overnight etc.

Oh yeah, someone had asked if I had any injuries. After the accident, probably due to the power of suggestion I had very minimal neck pain and a headache (most likely my imagination though). This morning I feel fine. So I probably will not get further evaluation for that. My policy on this Lexus is only ~8 months old but my family and I did have Allstate in the past for our other cars and we don't have any major history of accidents (parent's car got hit by other party in 2004 and an accident that was my fault in 2000). So I guess I fall under the category of moderate claims history?

So the plan for me now is meeting with the other company's adjuster tomorrow/Tuesday to get an estimate and I'll be demanding the following:

1. Repair at Lexus
2. New parts only
3. Loaner vehicle reimbursement
4. Try to get diminished value - as car is only 6 months old, mint, 3500 miles, garage parked etc.

If I'm lucky and this other insurance company is able to process everything quickly then I'll just get the repair check from them and then cancel my claim with Allstate. Otherwise if I have a similar situation as everyone else (slowness on other side's insurance) then I'll just have to claim through Allstate.

In the meantime, I've printed out all the links the responders have posted so I'll read through them to be a bit more knowledgeable for when I meet the Traveler's adjuster.

Do I have everything pretty much covered or am I missing something? Thanks again everybody.
Old 03-04-07, 01:56 PM
Sarorn
Driver

Good to hear that things are progressing in your favor. Just a little tip:

If possible, it might be a good idea to keep the insurance estimate to yourself and not show the Lexus bodyshop estimator what is written. Äsk Lexus to write their own estimate, then take the two and put them side by side...'this way, you'll be able to compare and see who's more thorough. I'll put any money that the Lexus estimate will be more thorough than the insurance one.

Also, a good bodyshop should have some sort of warranty on their craftmanship. Some shops such as ours will even warranty their work for the lifetime of the car, for as long as its on the road. Make sure you ask.
Old 03-04-07, 02:10 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, it looks like things are progressing well. Perhaps things have changed since the last time I had a claim (2001) with my insurer (Geico), but when I had an accident I took it to the Geico adjuster who worked up an estimate and they said I could take it to any body shop I wanted and the shop would bill Geico directly. When I dropped it off at the local shop they looked at the estimate and said that probably wouldn't cover it but that they would go back to Geico for any added amount. I never had to do anything else and the car was fixed to my satisfaction. The problem with getting a check from the adjuster is what happens when you take it in for repair and additional damage is found, or if the amount isn't enough for whatever reason? Just make sure that by accepting the check you are not agreeing that that is payment in full for the accident (which I think will be the case). You don't want to be left out in the cold.
Old 03-04-07, 02:28 PM
Sarorn
Driver

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Well, it looks like things are progressing well. Perhaps things have changed since the last time I had a claim (2001) with my insurer (Geico), but when I had an accident I took it to the Geico adjuster who worked up an estimate and they said I could take it to any body shop I wanted and the shop would bill Geico directly. When I dropped it off at the local shop they looked at the estimate and said that probably wouldn't cover it but that they would go back to Geico for any added amount. I never had to do anything else and the car was fixed to my satisfaction. The problem with getting a check from the adjuster is what happens when you take it in for repair and additional damage is found, or if the amount isn't enough for whatever reason? Just make sure that by accepting the check you are not agreeing that that is payment in full for the accident (which I think will be the case). You don't want to be left out in the cold.
That's the reason why in my previous post I mentioned how important it is for the insurance appraiser to write on his estimate OPEN TO FURTHER INSPECTION. This is also the reason why my post above suggested to have the Lexus bodyshop write their own estimate and compare the two.

Evitzee, did the insurance company bill the bodyshop directly and covered everything the bodyshop asked for? It's interesting to see how its so much different from how we handle things here in Canada. Over here, the customer just drops the car off at the bodyshop and the bodyshop takes over by making an apointment with the insurance appraiser and inspecting the vehicle together.
Old 03-04-07, 02:48 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evitzee

Been with GEICO since 1985 to the present and that's the way it has always been for me, a dozen accidents/claims later. I've never fooled around with getting checks and then deciding on whether to keep and cash it or repair and how much. Just get the car fixed and don't worry about profiting from the accident, GIECO just makes things right, put it back to where it used to be. I'm sure there are other similar insurance companies but I recommend GEICO if you can afford to make the switch.
Old 03-04-07, 03:08 PM
gizbx4
Pole Position

i got rear ended an hour after i picked my car up from the dealer.

2,200 worth the damage but everything went through the other persons insurence. my insurence company didnt even have to be notified.
Old 03-04-07, 03:30 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Be aware that if you go for the "diminished value" you would most likely have to sue the other insurance company. In addition, your action would be limited until you actually incurred a "diminished value" or loss on a sale directly attributable to this specific accident. That is why diminished value claims are not worth it on a car in this price range.
Old 03-04-07, 03:40 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarorn
Evitzee, did the insurance company bill the bodyshop directly and covered everything the bodyshop asked for? It's interesting to see how its so much different from how we handle things here in Canada. Over here, the customer just drops the car off at the bodyshop and the bodyshop takes over by making an apointment with the insurance appraiser and inspecting the vehicle together.
I was responsible to take the car to the Geico inspection facility where they looked at the damage and calculated the amount. But the bodyshop I chose interacted with Geico on the final amount. I only saw the final amount on the final invoice when I picked up the car after it was repaired.