IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Broke Wheel Lock Key!!!!! Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-07, 07:20 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 250-awd
Thanks everyone for the replies. I have to say that prior to this incident, i was not happy with Lexus' service at all, but I am now a changed man. I called roadside assitance the night of the incident and they suggested that I call the dealer in the morning because they may be able to send someone out to fix it. I call the dealer, they ask me to have it towed there. I called roadside assitance at around 8AM, and a flatbed tow truck was outside of my house at about 8:15AM.

From there, it went to the dealer and they told me a few hours later that the key didn't break inside the lock, so they used their universal key to remove the locks and gave me a new key. I also asked them to take off the wheel locks completely because A) it is a pain always remembering where the wheel lock key is, and B) from my research, a monkey with a socket and a hammer can steal my rims in about 5 minutes if they really wanted them. In the end, they switched the locks for regular nuts, gave them back to me with a new key, towed my car to their dealership, and had it ready for me the same day all for free. I couldn't be happier.
the mechanic in lexus has a set of "master" key so they wont ask for your wheel lock key for service.

you should keep the wheel lock, i know anyone can steal your wheels anytime but the thieves will still go with the ones w/o wheel locks first !