IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Fixed dash rattle :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-07, 10:54 AM
vertcobra9
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixed dash rattle :)

Anyways so I had the dredded dash rattle and my seat was squeeking... I took it into my dealer showed them the noises... I told them how other dealers were fixing the rattles but they proceeded to tell me that the whole dash would need to be removed to fix the problem... this bothered me but I went ahead with the process anyway.

Friday I got my car back and I have never been happier that i let them do what they had to do... the car is as tight as a drum now. I used to be able to push down on the dash above the center vents and a squeeking noise would admit from them. Well thats gone and the car is dead silent even over harsh roads. Anyone who was worrying about how the dash would fit after it has been removed shouldn't worry I think mine looks like it fits a little better in some areas now.

Only issue that i have now that i don't know why i have is that when i got the car back the drive side wipper blade goes all the way over to the edge of the windshield and hits the piller. Im sure its an easy fix but im not sure how to do it myself? Other then that... good job lexus. I have never had better service
Old 03-05-07, 10:59 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you show them your dreaded dash rattle? I know I'm going to have to go down the road just right for them to hear mine. I'd be happy to let them do the same as long as it goes away!!
Old 03-05-07, 11:19 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wish they'd just issue a TSB and isolate/wrap everything they can to stop the rattles.....not just on a case-by-case basis.
Old 03-05-07, 11:23 AM
vertcobra9
Driver

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
How did you show them your dreaded dash rattle? I know I'm going to have to go down the road just right for them to hear mine. I'd be happy to let them do the same as long as it goes away!!
well it was pretty easy to show them the seat creak... just rocked back and forth... but to get them to hear the rattle i had to go to some bumpy roads... because all the roads around the dealer are perfect. I told the tech I wasn't going back to the dealer ship until i showed him the sound... but when i got to the rough roads... it was pretty easy to hear...
Old 03-05-07, 11:31 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to hear that they fixed it!

I have the rattle/'crack' sound by the windshield that i should have them fix... I also need to wrap the center vents whenever i get off my lazy butt
Old 03-05-07, 12:46 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vertcobra9
well it was pretty easy to show them the seat creak... just rocked back and forth... but to get them to hear the rattle i had to go to some bumpy roads... because all the roads around the dealer are perfect. I told the tech I wasn't going back to the dealer ship until i showed him the sound... but when i got to the rough roads... it was pretty easy to hear...

was your seat creak sound like it was in the lumbar area? i called my dealership and they said they were having issues with the seats, but it was coming from a part of the seat rail. Mine goes away when I inflate the lumbar...did yours?
Old 03-05-07, 01:09 PM
vertcobra9
Driver

Originally Posted by Andoskyy
was your seat creak sound like it was in the lumbar area? i called my dealership and they said they were having issues with the seats, but it was coming from a part of the seat rail. Mine goes away when I inflate the lumbar...did yours?
I didn't really look to see where on the seat it was comming from... all i know is that it was more anoying then the dash rattle by 100 times. evertime I made a turn it would creak very loudly... to the point where it was making me very depressed after paying so much for a lexus.
Old 03-05-07, 06:46 PM
nighthawk
Pole Position

i have a rattleling noise in my dash too, sounds like something is loose....is that what yours was? I hate that you buy a Lexus and have to deal with these issues. It sucks....
Old 03-05-07, 07:36 PM
SPEED&ECO.
Lead Lap

what did they do to the seat cause mine is squeeking also, its really annoying...
Old 03-06-07, 04:11 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by nighthawk
i have a rattleling noise in my dash too, sounds like something is loose....is that what yours was? I hate that you buy a Lexus and have to deal with these issues. It sucks....
Don't loose heart over it, there is a thread that details the rattles fix (5 pages thread). I have yet to perform it but i recon that's where the rattle is.
Old 03-06-07, 08:24 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ldc
Don't loose heart over it, there is a thread that details the rattles fix (5 pages thread). I have yet to perform it but i recon that's where the rattle is.
Post it up please.....
Old 03-06-07, 08:26 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vertcobra9
Anyways so I had the dredded dash rattle and my seat was squeeking... I took it into my dealer showed them the noises... I told them how other dealers were fixing the rattles but they proceeded to tell me that the whole dash would need to be removed to fix the problem... this bothered me but I went ahead with the process anyway.

Friday I got my car back and I have never been happier that i let them do what they had to do... the car is as tight as a drum now. I used to be able to push down on the dash above the center vents and a squeeking noise would admit from them. Well thats gone and the car is dead silent even over harsh roads. Anyone who was worrying about how the dash would fit after it has been removed shouldn't worry I think mine looks like it fits a little better in some areas now.

Only issue that i have now that i don't know why i have is that when i got the car back the drive side wipper blade goes all the way over to the edge of the windshield and hits the piller. Im sure its an easy fix but im not sure how to do it myself? Other then that... good job lexus. I have never had better service
So...what is the problem?? Please specify....
Old 03-06-07, 09:24 AM
rroy
Pole Position

I had the 'crack' noise and i brought it to my dealer and they were unable to fix it. I let them drive my car and they were able to replicate the noise; however, no fix. In fact after a week with the loaner (RX350) I get my car back and there's grease prints on the interior and a small scuff on the plastic from putting it back together I appreciated their time trying to take care of my request but this really pissed me off. Im borderline **** about keeping my car in tip-top shape; and when it's not, and not my fault... I wanted to show the service guy and ask wtf
Old 03-06-07, 10:52 AM
vertcobra9
Driver

to tell you the truth i don't know what they did but it worked... they had my car for almost a week but all the creaking in the seat and the dash are completely gone... as for all the unlucky people that have tried to get the fix and the dealership left grease and dirt all over my car... i guess its just the dealership... hell i even let IRA lexus wash my car and i dont' have one swirl mark... and they do an excelent job of cleaning it... it seems like they give it the new car smell every time
Old 03-06-07, 01:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,400 Posts

There are two separate TSIBs for dash noise. One for a cracking sound, the other for creaking from the center dash. Both require the dash to be removed.

I've noticed a few noises from the dash but only when on really bad roads. Those don't bother me. The buzzing in my left ear did get fixed when I got the alternate brake pads. They still haven't told me exactly what they did to fix it, but it is for sure gone (yeah!!)

Quick Reply: Fixed dash rattle :)