IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2007 IS350 vs 2007 G35

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-07, 10:32 PM
ambientFLI
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 IS350 vs 2007 G35

Hey guys. First off, much love to the Lexus community. Those IS350's are nasty, nice styling and great power. I just wanted to find out a few things. Have any of you cross-shopped the new '07 G35 alongside the IS? How did you like it? I'm trying to make up my mind between the two. Here are the pros and cons for both:

Lexus

pro: slightly more torque, seems to be faster on the 1/4, toyota quality
cons: no m/t available

Infiniti

pro: m/t available, 7500 rpm redline, sportier handling, awd available
cons: slightly slower than the lexus, m/t is rough

Another question I have for you guys is how well does the lexus V6 respond to mods? And also what attritubes to the extra torque of the lexus engine (9 lb-ft) over the infiniti's, just the direct injection?

Here's a random tidbit: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/e...e801445b76.htm Do your cars pull as well?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 03-05-07, 10:49 PM
Burst32
Pole Position

I really don't know where you got your information about the IS350, but a manual transmission IS AVAILABLE. And if you get the sport suspension package, I don't see how the sedan-looking G35 could EVER compete with the IS350. Overall, I don't see how anyone could ever go for the G35 over the IS350. To me there is no comparison, I could go on and on, but honestly, none, zero, nothing to compare. IS350 is soo much better.
Old 03-05-07, 10:54 PM
tracerit
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Burst32
I really don't know where you got your information about the IS350, but a manual transmission IS AVAILABLE. And if you get the sport suspension package, I don't see how the sedan-looking G35 could EVER compete with the IS350. Overall, I don't see how anyone could ever go for the G35 over the IS350. To me there is no comparison, I could go on and on, but honestly, none, zero, nothing to compare. IS350 is soo much better.
The manual is only available for the IS250. As an IS owner, I would expect you to know that.
Old 03-05-07, 10:56 PM
khoongy
Driver

i went for some ice cream the other day and a 07 g35 sedan parked next to me. the G looks a lot bigger than mine side-by-side, but the 350 looks nicer. i dont knwo anything else about the g35 and i dont care. 2is all the way. =)
Old 03-05-07, 11:12 PM
cc16ue
Pit Crew

if you really want to do your research, go check out this months car and driver. they have a comparison test between the G35 and the 328 and the 328 won, and we know how ths 350 does to 328, 330, and even the 335. but they have the pros and cons of the new G35.
Old 03-05-07, 11:23 PM
ambientFLI
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Burst32

Sedan-looking G35? How many doors does the IS have, and since when do looks matter to handling? Jeez, I know this is a Lexus board, and everything, but I would like some UNbiased opinions. It seems that a lot of people DO go for the G35, since I see them all over the place. Nothing to compare? Let's see, both luxury cars, both 4-door, both same size, even the same power and engine displacement, both are quick, both handle good...seems to me like it's basically the same car with a different badge. And where are YOU getting your information about transmissions from?

So far, to me the G35 seems like a better driver's car, simply because of the available m/t and the crazy engine speeds. Gotta be fun winding that thing out.

Last edited by ambientFLI; 03-05-07 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-05-07, 11:35 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i abused a g35 sport and the only reason i would buy a is350 is that the is350 feels stronger off the line. the g35 is better in so many more areas. this board is biased towards lexuses. go drive them for yourself. heres something to think about.....a loaded g35sport is around 9K cheaper then a loaded is350.
Old 03-05-07, 11:38 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

The G looks like a family man's car.
Old 03-05-07, 11:43 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

if you must go for a manual transmission then BMW sounds like a better alternative. the G has more value but of course there is a reason for that. you do get some nice toys and of course the 300hp engine. you also get a big car. in this respect i actually wouldnt think the G would be able to outhandle the IS except only in the rain when the G has either the 4WD or 4WAS (which both add $). the interior is a bit cheap but improved over the last generation (which IMO was horrid). but the thing that seals the G in its coffin for me is the design. its seriously bulbous from every angle. the front looks like a duck bill and the way the hood is cut out looks like an afterthought. but the rear is the real atrocity with the fat just pouring out of that rear bumper. i have to say the last generation rear (and current generation coupe's rear) is much better.

i wanted a small sporty car and the IS is as big as ill go. even though interior is small, it fits my needs. but really, in all honesty, the single biggest reason i got the IS was how it looks. just looking at the car coming at you from the other side of the street is awesome. the way the car looks like its leaning forward as if it were going like a rocket and the daytime running lights low and close together. i should have gotten black as this effect is best with that color, but oh well.
Old 03-05-07, 11:54 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

For me, both cars are fast enough. I really don't think one should make a $40K decision because of 9lb-ft of torque at its peak. You play with the car 10% of the time. 90% of the time you're using it as a tool to get you to where you want to go. Make your decisions based on that 90%, IMO. So decide what's most important for you on your daily drive to work or school. Both cars are fast. Looks are subjective. Lexus is more comfortable for the driver, better quality, better fuel economy. Infiniti is probably more sporty feeling, has 9GB in the radio, more room inside for the passengers, and of course could be had for a lot cheaper if your Lexus dealer won't deal much.

I went with Lexus because I have to drive 26 miles each way to work, lots of it in traffic... I don't need to feel every pothole and bump on the road through the steering wheel. Driving fun is not a priority for me, it may be for you.
Old 03-06-07, 12:52 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

both are about the same speed. Yeah the Lexus has more torque but not all that much more to be a deal breaker. The g35 looks like an older persons car and to me it looks more conservative. It's a little jelly beanish for me but as long as you like it. The interior of the lexus is much nicer for sure though but the handling goes to the G. Both got good and bad points. I got the lex cuz it's more reliable, luxurious, looks more agressive and youthful and didn't need nor want the extra space of the G.
Old 03-06-07, 05:06 AM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

I wonder how many people have actually driven both here. From the sound of most answers - just about no one has and thus, cannot give you an unbiased opinion. I am currently in the same position you are - deciding between a G35 or IS 350. There is another thread on this forum about the test one of the magazines did pitting the Jap cars against each other... the G35 came in last (do a search).

I am assuming the money factor isn't an issue. If it is, the G35 is the CLEAR winner. Though, no one down here is budging from MSRP (and they don't have to) but you can get an IS for well under MSRP... so that levels the playing field a bit.

As for the cars themselves, the Lexus is more expensive for a reason. It is CLEARLY a better car. Just close the door and feel how solid it is as compared to the Infiniti. Granted, the G35 isn't an American POS... but it's definitely not a Lexus when it comes to fit and finish.

Performance wise, they are neck-and-neck, IMHO. Maybe on a drag line the IS would win... but really, how often are you going to be doing that?? Even in the occasional street race, both will give each other a run for their money. The Infiniti handles GREAT and is a ton of fun to drive. I'd argue it is more of a "drivers" car from a handling perspective. I say that after taking both out on a special test drive course they have here where you can test all sorts of cars. The Lexus is also a lot of fun to drive... but the G has the edge here (but only a little).

As for technology, if money isn't a factor both car be loaded with the same stuff - though, the G comes with more standard. If you're not getting NAV, I like how you still get the LCD screen. you can do more with the voice system on the G... and I think the graphics of their NAV system look a ton better (the 3-D Birdseye view is amazing). But, the Lexus NAV system is pretty great itself so that's a non issue. Both can be had with radar cruise, etc. I think the only option the Lexus has that the G doesn't is rain sensing wipers. Oh, and someone mentioned how you can get the 9GB hard drive on the G... but if you read about how it works, it's useless (well, not totally but it isn't as great as it could have been. It is seriously cripled).

As for comfort - the Lexus wins hands down. Better ride, better quality seats, better fit and finish inside, etc. In all, they just use better quality materials. Though, I will say that the G35 is quite nice inside... but it's definitely no Lexus.

Because of the high window sills in the Lexus, you feel more cocooned in the front seat. Thus, giving you the illusion that it is smaller. But, in fact, the front area is the same as the G. The back seat is smaller... but you need to ask yourself how often will you have people back there.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the IS 350. For me, fit and finish and a luxurious interior is much more important than anything else. Hence, why the BMW is no where near my radar!! Just as the previous poster said, the IS is winning for me because it is more reliable, luxurious, looks more agressive, and the extra back seat space of the G isn't an issue for me. As for exterior looks - totally subjective. I used to be totally in love with the way the G35 looks. But, now that I've studied the Lexus more and more, the G is starting to look... eh... to me. I think it is definately a gorgeous car... but I'll agree that it is more of a family sedan than a sports sedan. I'm 25 so I want something that shows my age. The Lexus reminds me of that old commercial (I think it was Mitsubishi???) where the dog was running after the car thinking it was chasing it and ran into it because it was stationary. At the end it had some sort of tag line like "it just looks fast."

If I can get a good deal on it, I'm willing to pay a premium for what is clearly a better car. However, I will say that the price difference in comparably equipped cars (at MSRP) is not justified. The Lexus may be a better car but it isn't THAT much better. If that gap remains at the end of my negotiations, then I'll go with the G.

Someone on a Lexus forum made a good comment a while back that I thought was true... you always hear people talk about their G35 and refer to its "value for money"... and that is just it. People don't get a Lexus for it's value for money. There is a prestige factor in owning a Lexus that Infiniti just doesn't have (at least not yet and will take them a while to get... but they are getting there)

I'm also a member of a great G35 forum. You should ask this same question there and see what responses you get:

http://g35driver.com/forums/forumdis...217&order=desc

Edit: Found the commercial... LOL... It was for a Toyota Celica...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7xu-LdnIe8

Last edited by RamshakleZ; 03-06-07 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-06-07, 05:54 AM
go blue 99
Rookie

My fiancee cross-shopped the IS250 and the new G35, and chose the IS. She doesn't need the extra horsepower and loves the lexus interior and brand name better.
Old 03-06-07, 05:56 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ambientFLI
So far, to me the G35 seems like a better driver's car, simply because of the available m/t and the crazy engine speeds. Gotta be fun winding that thing out.
I haven't driven the new G35 but I have seen them around and the car just looks bloated to me. I'm sure the coupe will be much better in appearance and according to car and driver will have more power as well. Also you mentioned that it will be fun winding that thing out in high rpm's. Well something else car and driver said is that it's actually not a good feeling. The only way I'd choose a GS5 sedan over an IS350 or BMW is if money was an issue. Also, more and more high end cars are going away with manual trannies. You might feel more connected with a manual, but they are falling way behind in performance compared to the newer generation auto's. The new EVO X, Skyline, Audi R8 all have auto trannies.
Old 03-06-07, 06:18 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Let's put the G35 [old and new] into a simple equation:

****-poor quality + GM interior * poor service / cheep MSRP = Japanese Trans-am

A cheaper MSRP is not a strength of the G [or Infiniti] by any means, as most Infiniti owners seem to use as an argument/defense - it's a reality of the short-comings from Nissan/Infiniti.

Again, go and drive both and get what you really like - it's your $$$$.

Quick Reply: 2007 IS350 vs 2007 G35