IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Manual IS

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-07, 11:09 PM
Sundance
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iStyle
To those who own/have driven manual transmission IS250s...would you recommend the MT after living with it for a prolonged period of time?

To those who own an automatic IS250 or even an IS350...would you have gone for a manual IS250 if it was available on the lot when you purchased your car?

I have the option of an '07 MT IS250 w/ X-Package. I'm debating whether I should go for the manual or not. I'm no manual connoisseur, so the clutch dynamics and such don't necessarily have to be perfect for me to enjoy it.

If you are test driving then DON'T pass up taking the 350 for a spin.
The extra $ for the extra horsie's might become justified especially with the smile that will be on ur face

Sundance
Old 03-07-07, 01:13 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by iStyle
To those who own/have driven manual transmission IS250s...would you recommend the MT after living with it for a prolonged period of time?

To those who own an automatic IS250 or even an IS350...would you have gone for a manual IS250 if it was available on the lot when you purchased your car?

I have the option of an '07 MT IS250 w/ X-Package. I'm debating whether I should go for the manual or not. I'm no manual connoisseur, so the clutch dynamics and such don't necessarily have to be perfect for me to enjoy it.
my car is still less than 300 miles. I wouls say u should test drive it before making your final decision. as what the link tells u, u might have some issues (dont think it happens to EVERYONE) with the tranny.

overall, my experience so far is still pretty good. i never regret getting then MT.

hope this helps. good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-07-07, 05:21 AM
JoelPirela
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, let me tell you....

I come from an E46 manual and yes, it's fun to drive but the CDV is a pain.
before buting my IS250 MT I test drove a manual transmission. Noisy and jerky. Not possible a smooth launch. I assume it was me under the pressure of the sales guy in the car and some co-workers that went with me. Got my IS (different from the test drive) and felt the same. After a while, I learned how to master the clutch but still had the noise and the not-so-smooth- launched from 1st gear. Took it to the service to have some other stuff checked and mentioned the noise to the service guy. He call be saying that something wrong was with my transmission (bearing). After replacing the bearing, the problem was still there. So they replaced the whole assembly/cluch/flywheel, everything. Once I got the car back, I was in heaven. No noise, smooth shift and smooth launchings. So, if you have a MT and have noise, it's not normal, no matter what your service advisor says.

JP
Old 03-07-07, 07:16 AM
xwhite250
Driver School Candidate

JP, how long has it been since you had your clutch assembly changes? Have you drove it for a couple thousand miles after that?

Originally Posted by JoelPirela
Well, let me tell you....

I come from an E46 manual and yes, it's fun to drive but the CDV is a pain.
before buting my IS250 MT I test drove a manual transmission. Noisy and jerky. Not possible a smooth launch. I assume it was me under the pressure of the sales guy in the car and some co-workers that went with me. Got my IS (different from the test drive) and felt the same. After a while, I learned how to master the clutch but still had the noise and the not-so-smooth- launched from 1st gear. Took it to the service to have some other stuff checked and mentioned the noise to the service guy. He call be saying that something wrong was with my transmission (bearing). After replacing the bearing, the problem was still there. So they replaced the whole assembly/cluch/flywheel, everything. Once I got the car back, I was in heaven. No noise, smooth shift and smooth launchings. So, if you have a MT and have noise, it's not normal, no matter what your service advisor says.

JP
Old 03-07-07, 07:28 AM
chuckler
Driver

i've had it for 2 months now, i have no regrets at all. i don't have any of the problems from the link above...maybe cuz my car was special ordered..*shrugs* the only things i have issues with is the long throws and hanging revs, but if thats not a problem for you then get it. I learned to live with it and hardly notice it except when i drive it after driving my gf's gsr..haha
Old 03-07-07, 08:02 AM
JoelPirela
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been a month so far with the new tranny, clutch, et al, so far, so good. I put a lot of miles on my car, aprox. 500 a week, so yes, 2000 miles so far with no noise. Will keep an eye on it. If the noise return will trade it in sell a couple of watches and get a cayman! ; )

JP
Old 03-07-07, 08:14 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

I'm up to 25k on my MT. I will say that you need to test drive the car you are thinking of buying as the MT's are different. I drove 3 different MTs and 2 of them had the clutch grab way too high. I still ordered a special order car and luckily it was OK.

I do have issues with it and think it's clunky and feels like my old Toyota Celica with long throws. It's my only issue with the car and I get great gas mileage and I got it under 30k. Would I buy again? No, I would step up the 350 or get a BMW/G35/TL with a MT. 250 AT is no way an option.

If it's your first MT, you won't notice our issues as much. You'll be setting the bar low for your next purchase. I think you'll be happy with it. A lexus with a toyota quality transmission. Durable yes, smooth as butter--no.