IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Manual IS

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-07, 03:55 PM
iStyle
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual IS

To those who own/have driven manual transmission IS250s...would you recommend the MT after living with it for a prolonged period of time?

To those who own an automatic IS250 or even an IS350...would you have gone for a manual IS250 if it was available on the lot when you purchased your car?

I have the option of an '07 MT IS250 w/ X-Package. I'm debating whether I should go for the manual or not. I'm no manual connoisseur, so the clutch dynamics and such don't necessarily have to be perfect for me to enjoy it.
Old 03-06-07, 04:27 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by iStyle
To those who own an automatic IS250 or even an IS350...would you have gone for a manual IS250 if it was available on the lot when you purchased your car?
For myself, absolutely not!

Auto IS350 >> Manual IS250.
Old 03-06-07, 05:15 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After driving the 350, I said to myself. "Forget the manual". I was SmileS ear to ear. My girlfriend said to me after the test drive. " You look like a child at an all you can eat candy store". hahahahaha....
Old 03-06-07, 07:23 PM
iStyle
Driver

Allow me to rephrase my question.

Forget I said anything about the 350. I'm more interested in MT 250 owners and their reactions after owning and driving the car for an extended period of time. The manual reviews have been mixed to say the least, so I'm hoping to gain some knowledge here. Are you guys happy with the manual? Do you regret getting it?

For the past few days I've been driving a friend's MT '00 323i and I'm absolutely addicted to it. I really never understood how much fun a manual transmission can be. Everytime I get back into the passenger seat all I can think about is driving it again.
Old 03-06-07, 07:31 PM
9520G
Lead Lap

I've had mine for a year It is not as smooth as I would like it to be but I dont regret it because I really like manual cars. My friend has a beamer also and let me just tell you that the BMW is a much more fun manual to drive. And with the manual you only really feel the power after 3,000 RPM's.
Old 03-06-07, 08:05 PM
neova
Pole Position

I have a '07 IS250 MT moving up from the '03 IS300 MT. I also test drove the '07 328xi MT before buying the IS250.

For me, like yourself, I don't need the absolute best gearbox in order to enjoy driving the manual. The lexus is already a very isolated car compared to the BMW, and getting an auto in the IS250 would just render my driving experience to nearly zip (at least if you have the 350 auto you have power/acceration to compensate).

if you enjoy driving a manual, then nothing can compensate for it. Just don't expect the Lexus manual gearbox to be as crisp or as enjoyable as the BMW, but you buy the car as a whole, not just for some of its parts.

I recently drove a '06 Porsche Cayman S 5AT, and even though it was a Porsche, the drive felt boring for me despite the handling and acceleration. It just goes to show that the driving experience as a whole takes into many factors, and you have to prioritize them when buying a new car.

I know where my priorities are - it must be a manual no matter what.
Old 03-06-07, 08:05 PM
xwhite250
Driver School Candidate

I guess if I knew about some of the problems, i would have not gone for the manual... check out this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=253475
Old 03-06-07, 08:15 PM
iStyle
Driver

Let me put this into perspective...Up until now I thought I'd have to settle for options that mean nothing to me when it came time to buy my IS. Here's why:

AT 250s are only shipped to my region with AWD, 17" wheels, and options aimed mainly at an older demographic than myself. I DON'T want all-wheel drive and never have. I don't want the added weight of all-wheel-drive slowing me down, I don't want the 4X4 look that comes with it, and I just don't see the point in buying an all-wheel-drive sports sedan for the 2 or 3 days a year when roads are actually snow covered.

I have the rare opportunity to pick up a MT IS250 with X-Package. I'm attracted to the overall sportier nature of the X-Package, along with rear-drive, and the exclusivity that comes with it (I've NEVER seen one on the street). Plus I could have the car in my driveway within the next two weeks.
Old 03-06-07, 08:18 PM
neova
Pole Position

^^^ If that's the case you should hop on it, and don't need our opinions since you've pretty much made up your mind =)

I've never had the manaul problems as outlined in the above link. Maybe some people are too picky about their gearbox and expect it to be like the BMW's unit.

now go get the car while it's still there!
Old 03-06-07, 08:29 PM
iStyle
Driver

Originally Posted by xwhite250
I guess if I knew about some of the problems, i would have not gone for the manual... check out this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=253475
Part of me wishes you never posted this.

I read through all 6 pages of the above thread and now have no idea what to do.
Old 03-06-07, 08:33 PM
9520G
Lead Lap

The noises from the manual trans is not a problem perse, mine makes the noises but I got use to it and really dont hear it anymore, but mechaniclly the trans has no problems whatsoever so no need to worry.
Old 03-06-07, 08:44 PM
iStyle
Driver

Thanks for all the input 9520G. I'm going to try and test drive a MT 250 this coming Saturday. I sure hope those who responded in that thread were just being dramatic. It sounds terrible.

I've waited too long for this car to regret my choice of transmission.
Old 03-06-07, 08:50 PM
9520G
Lead Lap

Just shoot me a pm if you have anymore questions. I dont know what part of ny you're from but I will be in westbury this weekend if you want to check out the car.
Old 03-06-07, 08:54 PM
isam250
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

i love my IS250 mt. I dont regret one day of driving manual. I just love the control u have with manual. however, the 2is tranny isn't the greatest, but it is still a fun car to drive. Test it before you buy.
Old 03-06-07, 10:54 PM
xwhite250
Driver School Candidate

hey... just thought i'd let u know... an informed decision is the best rather than you buying it first, and finding out later... as someone has already pointed, it's not something that will affect the performance of the car by much [though it will a little]... This is just downside but the car has other upsides.... sexy as hell, reasonably priced, nice features...

Originally Posted by iStyle
Part of me wishes you never posted this.

I read through all 6 pages of the above thread and now have no idea what to do.

Quick Reply: Manual IS