IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Back Problems with seat ....

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-07 | 01:47 PM
lexudv
Pole Position

Default Back Problems with seat ....

I love my IS, but I just can't seem to get a comfortable position in the seat. I'm 6'0 feet and i've tried every position that I could think of. Tilting, front, back, but I just keep getting a nagging pain on my upper back. I do suffer from back problems, but in my previous car (Acura Integra) I don't recall having the same problem.

I don't want to get rid of the car and I've tried living with it (seriously, I swear) !!!!

Anyone else have this problem ? What do you recommend ?
Old 03-07-07 | 01:54 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I'm 6'1 and i'm coming from an Acura Integra GS-R Coupe myself, still own the car. The Integra on long 2+ hr road trip was a killer on my back. I don't suffer from back problems but the teg was just an uncomfortable car to sit in for a long drive.

On my IS the seats are really comfortable. I took a mini road trip to San Diego and I had no complaints what so ever with the seats.

I dont think you should get rid of the car. The IS has butter soft leather seats. If you problem doesnt get any better then maybe get a bigger car like the GS?
Old 03-07-07 | 02:00 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

When you say tilting you mean the front of the chair? I don't think alot of people know that you can do that...

Even adjusted the lumbar? I'm sorry to hear that, I used to get terrible neck cramps in my car, but I finally found the perfect sitting position.
Old 03-07-07 | 02:53 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

I suppose that if all else fails, you could look into replacing the seats. The Recaro buckets in the latest generation Audi S4 are some of the most supportive and comfortable I've ever felt.
Old 03-07-07 | 08:52 PM
lexudv
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
When you say tilting you mean the front of the chair? I don't think alot of people know that you can do that...

Even adjusted the lumbar? I'm sorry to hear that, I used to get terrible neck cramps in my car, but I finally found the perfect sitting position.
True, I didn't know about the tilting until about 3 months after I got the car. I really hope I don't have to get rid of the car. I'm going to a physical therapist next week.
Old 03-07-07 | 10:08 PM
khoongy
Driver

im having a hard time finding a comfortable position as well.
at first the seats were REAAAAAALy comfortable and i had no back pain. but now it hurts!

i guess its not the chair. its my back ! im sitting almost every hour of the day because im either studying or driving. =(

fix my back pains! nothing is wrong w/ the seats.
Old 03-07-07 | 10:10 PM
hass
Lexus Champion

I had the same problem with the IS when i went for a test drive, i'm 6'1 189lbs
-hass
Old 03-07-07 | 10:10 PM
khoongy
Driver

a little off topic, but does anybody know how to fix back pain? lol ... im really hurting and its starting to really bother me. i dont want to see a doctor yet because they are just going to tell me the obvious.
Old 03-07-07 | 10:37 PM
ABC
Racer
CL Folding 100000

^ a chiro who specializes in subluxation: http://www.echiropractic.net/what_is_a_subluxation.htm

I have back problems too, but i found that by tilting the front of the seat all the way up/back and tilt the back part of the seat back a little, i can sit pretty comfortably. But i do need an extra lumbar pillow that i ride with; but that combo seems to work quite well for me. I wish the car had another inch or so of headroom, but i can deal
Old 03-07-07 | 10:47 PM
TheSyndica
Driver

Why dont you put a small pillow on the back part of the seat??? I do that for long trips, and it works fine.
Old 03-07-07 | 10:53 PM
el3ctone
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
I suppose that if all else fails, you could look into replacing the seats. The Recaro buckets in the latest generation Audi S4 are some of the most supportive and comfortable I've ever felt.
i thought of that too,
but then i thought more..
u will lose your side airbag in the process
Old 03-08-07 | 02:37 AM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Don't know if this works, but for you it could be an alternative. Some stores let you try the product before buying it.

Cited from Spine Health
"Driving with back pain is dangerous for you and other motorists so GET COMFY. I have driven everything with Wheels and broke the law many times driving 72 hours non stop in a commercial big rig on I-5 (known as the Hemorrhoid Hammer). It was the worst road in the universe. The OBUS FORM stands tall and provides the Back support and C spine support you need for the best drive of your life. Despite the luxurious leather upholstery of my Olds 98 I still needed my Obus Form. Even without back issues you need one. Obus Forms are transportable from the car to the dinner table. The $100 to 200 to fit you up is money well spent. VERY well. Being comfy makes you a safer driver. LOOK out for the others. Obus mattress pads are also available. This comes with Professional Driver endorsement. Driving should be a pleasure. With OBUS, you will find a dramatic instant change in life in general."

Old 03-08-07 | 04:14 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

I find it more comfy if i deflate fully the lumber support.
Old 03-08-07 | 04:21 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Have you tried moving your seat a little closer to the pedals so that your knees are slightly bent and your arms are not fully stretched out?
Old 03-08-07 | 05:20 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

A friend bought an LS, and as part of the "Relentless Pursuit of Perfection", they pulled back the leather seat surface and re-padded and rearranged the foam until he was satisfied.

Quick Reply: Back Problems with seat ....