IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

wrecked 2007 Lexus IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-07, 09:49 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they just made my 354 more valuable since it's not many out there..
Old 03-09-07, 10:00 AM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Folks remember there ARE responsible teens just like there are irresponsible older adults. Yes, statistics show that younger less experienced drivers have more incidents but please don't make sweeping assumptions about all young drivers.
Good point BUT, sorry to say, based on some of the lame comments by kids on this forum, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the owner/driver of that car has posted here.

As you say "not all are stupid (or just young) but it only takes one idiot to get YOU or ME killed...........and that is a problem.
Old 03-09-07, 10:09 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtidan
As you say "not all are stupid (or just young) but it only takes one idiot to get YOU or ME killed...........and that is a problem.
True, but then again, when ppl hear of that one stupid teenager that got into a crash they tend to stereotype all of us teenagers as irresponsible. The problem is you always hear about car accidents involving teenagers on the news, but they never have any reports on the number of safe teenage drivers that have never gotten a ticket or been involved in an accident. Many teenagers like myself, have urges to drive fast and have fun in their cars, but control themselves. I only speed if I take my car to the track or if Im on the highway at 3AM and there are no other cars within distance. Most of my friends are the same way, we actually value our cars, and our lives ...
Old 03-09-07, 10:10 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

this make me fill better about transporting my kids around in the 2IS now.
Old 03-09-07, 10:23 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shaolin
they just made my 354 more valuable since it's not many out there..
It also indirectly raised your insurance rate...
Old 03-09-07, 10:42 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

wow look at that lamp post, damn! im having a hard time imagining what it would have looked like. kinda surprised the car didnt plow into someones living room....1st day of ownership and this happens. what an idiot!
Old 03-09-07, 11:07 AM
iobidder
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Folks remember there ARE responsible teens just like there are irresponsible older adults. Yes, statistics show that younger less experienced drivers have more incidents but please don't make sweeping assumptions about all young drivers.
Although you may be right, sadly enough society does not view it the way you just mentioned hence why insurance only gets higher for people who are under 25, and even hitting that 25 y/o milestone does have a great impact on rates anymore. From the picture, it does not just show neglect on the drivers part but also on the parents part.

Because they may be able to afford nice cars and higher insurance premiums, the average person may not be so lucky as a result of this moron.
Old 03-09-07, 11:56 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

25 isn't magic because it has nothing to do with the risk. The real determinant now is how long you've been a licensed driver. It still isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than pure age.

I have a very good friend who works in the motorcycle frame straightening business. He recounted a tale that says a lot about situations like this. Way back when Suzuki first built their GS1100 (1980), it was the king of the hill bike. It ran a low 11 second 1/4 mile stock. He had one bent and twisted in his shop 7 days after the US release date because Mom and Dad bought one for their kid for a high school graduation present. It had 16 miles on the odometer.

The situation in this thread is identical. Young kid gets a machine he is not qualified to drive and lets testosterone control the throttle, not good sense. Sure, anyone could do this, but it seems to happen far more often with the less experienced AND younger crowd. FWIW, the parts manager at Lexus of Sacramento told me there were FOUR IS350s rolled in the Sacramento area within 8 months of the car's release. No idea how many of them were piloted by youngsters, but given the target market for these cars, I'm not at all surprised. I saw the same thing when wealthy parents were buying their teenagers MkIV Supras. Lots of wadded up cars.

Anybody actually know this kid? There's a piece on that car I'd like to acquire!
Old 03-09-07, 12:01 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow thats a messed up car. I wonder what his parent will buy if now. If he were my kid i would buy him a nice Mountain Bike. Or a IS250AWD since they are slow as molasses
Old 03-09-07, 12:06 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

I'd go with the mountain bike. AWD will make him want to take that 35MPH corner at 85 again...

That's what a lot of parents don't get... a slower accelerating car does not stop a kid from still driving at an unsafe speed... i'm reminded of that story of the mom who took away her kid's 911 because he got his license suspended. Told him to pick a slower car and he picked an IS350... The IS going 100 on the freeway is just as fast as the Porsche going 100...
Old 03-09-07, 12:20 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

True, and pretty much every new car today is capable of doin well over 100 mph, it just takes some cars longer than others to reach it, no matter what car a kid has, he's still a kid, it's still a car, and the car is going to do w/e the driver tells it to. Even if kids get slower cars instead of high performance ones, we'll still see the same number of accidents, just with less expensive cars.
Old 03-09-07, 12:26 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

It has more to do with the actual person than with the car they are driving, an irresponsible person is going to crash no matter what car he's driving, whereas a more responsible driver will be safe with even the most expensive and fastest of cars.
Old 03-09-07, 12:26 PM
iobidder
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
True, and pretty much every new car today is capable of doin well over 100 mph, it just takes some cars longer than others to reach it, no matter what car a kid has, he's still a kid, it's still a car, and the car is going to do w/e the driver tells it to. Even if kids get slower cars instead of high performance ones, we'll still see the same number of accidents, just with less expensive cars.
Giving a kid an IS350 over a Chevy Cobalt, he obviously going to be tempted to go fast in the IS350 rather then the Cobalt, and I state this for obvious reasons.
Old 03-09-07, 12:29 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iobidder
Giving a kid an IS350 over a Chevy Cobalt, he obviously going to be tempted to go fast in the IS350 rather then the Cobalt, and I state this for obvious reasons.
So again it comes down to the person driving, if the person wants to speed bad enough, they are gonna do it whether in the cobalt or 350, one just gets you there quicker than the other, i do understand what your saying tho.
Old 03-09-07, 01:09 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
It has more to do with the actual person than with the car they are driving, an irresponsible person is going to crash no matter what car he's driving, whereas a more responsible driver will be safe with even the most expensive and fastest of cars.
Simply not true, regardless of driver, the car is also a factor. Price liability insurance for a 17 year old driver with a 1998 four cylinder Camry. Then price the exact same policy for that same driver with a 2007 Corvette Z06. Remember that liability coverage only pays for the other party's injuries, so the difference in cost between the two cars isn't a factor. The difference is in the actuarial tables, which predict what the insurance company is likely to pay out in claims. Actuarial tables are not based on stereotypes, they are built by applying valid statistical analysis to real claims data.

Quick Reply: wrecked 2007 Lexus IS 350