IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

wrecked 2007 Lexus IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-07, 07:25 AM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't believe this thread has 6 pages!

Anyway, it's NOT the fast cars, it's not US, it's the PARENTS who buy their 17-18yr olds these cars just coz they can afford it! They're the ones who spoil their kids so, it's not someone else's fault. If ALL the parents did not make their kids so spoiled, this would not happen!
Old 03-10-07, 07:50 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cornellian
Can't believe this thread has 6 pages!

Anyway, it's NOT the fast cars, it's not US, it's the PARENTS who buy their 17-18yr olds these cars just coz they can afford it! They're the ones who spoil their kids so, it's not someone else's fault. If ALL the parents did not make their kids so spoiled, this would not happen!
My sarcasm meter is off a little bit this morning, so I'm not sure of your message, but I'll say that too many parents, of all incomes, try to substitute parenting with material objects. They don't want to be bothered with teaching their children how to be a well-rounded individual regardless of their financial situation at the time. Reasons vary, but some because they are too busy building their fortune, some because they are having problems with their 3rd wife and 2nd mistress, some because they were never parented themselves.

So the tangible way you can say that "I'm protecting my child" or "I'm taking care of my kids" is to get them that nice Lexus or BMW. And of course it tells the other kids at school's parents that they take care of their child in a way other's can't. Some parents give their kid a $50K car and say "here's how much I love you. have fun". Others give their kids their used old car and a value system. There are those parents out there who can do it all, success in business and parenting, and I think they are the truly successful people I fully respect out there.

Last edited by sirkfc; 03-10-07 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-10-07, 07:54 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My stepdad's 1985 Buick Regal Limited. I got it in 1997, so it was 12 years old. Rusted. Leaked oil and gas. Had the infamous sagging headliner of every 1980's GM vehicle after a few years of sitting in the elements. Had a 2 bbl carb'd 231 cu. in. iron V6 and a 3 speed automatic. 131,000 miles. It was black and had maroon velour interior. The pain was faded and cracking, the engine stalled at a red light when the A/C was on if you didn't put it in neutral and keep your foot on the gas, and it got oh about 15-17 mpg.

I still look back on that car with fond memories. .
Not sure how old you are, but my friend had the exact same car. Good times...Good Times

Last edited by TLW; 03-10-07 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-10-07, 07:57 AM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sirkfc
So the tangible way you can say that "I'm protecting my child" or "I'm taking care of my kids" is to get them that nice Lexus or BMW. And of course it tells the other kids at school's parents that they take care of their child in a way other's can't. Some parents give their kid a $50K car and say "here's how much I love you. have fun". Others give their kids their used old car and a value system. There are those parents out there who can do it all, success in business and parenting, and I think they are the truly successful people I fully respect out there.
There you go! That's how you make your kids spoiled!!

They learn what you teach... you just have to make sure that you care about them by other means and not material things in life!! That's the proper way to teach! Having good manners, morale, respect for adult (parents), etc...

I grew up in a rich family but, I grew up not relying on material things coz the way my family is... I just turned 22 awhile ago and paying for my own car as well as helping family members....
Old 03-10-07, 10:18 AM
nore03
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Julez
You play into my point a little bit. It's not that the law punishes drunks less severe than teenagers, because DUIs should have more severe consequences compared to a teenager who recks a car, but the fact is that Drunks are more dangerous and common place than a kid with a lexus/bmw. Yet, when one kid flips his BMW, it's heard all over and everyone seems to post about it, bash the kid, etc., yet drunk drivers kill people everyday and I rarely hear people complain about that on any board. Maybe the occasional post, but the ratio of dui recks to rick kid recks is probably 25:1 probably higher and I seem to hear more about rich kids and how irresponsible they are more than I do about drunks.

I agree with this guy. When i saw the first post about how the IS was wrecked by a 17 year old i knew what was coming. 6 pages in 2 days??? Damn i'm not surprised. I know if i were rich and i had money to throw around i'd buy my son whatever car he wanted, but i would at least try to make sure he 1) made sure that he had to be responsible with it and 2) deserved it. Hey you can't tell people how to spend their money. I don't understand why we must continue to have these discussions about rich kids and nice cars. Last month they posted about the old lady who crashed her IS into a house and we didn't even get this many responses from you guys. You guys are soo damn angry. You should all be happy the IS is that damn safe and protected these kids from their death. You all act this way because you are much older now. You guys need to lighten up some. This board gets annoying with all the b*tching and complaining sometimes sorry to say. I still find it great here but geez relax some people.

Originally Posted by AM1
man that sucks. too bad the kids werent hurt. if you are that dumb to take a turn at 85 in a 35 and you dont know how to handle your car, you deserve whats coming to you. Why does it seem like every post turns into a rich/poor young/ old blah blah ?
It turns that way cause everyone has too much time on their hands. They are so angry. I mean its not like they have a beautiful car sitting in their driveway.
Old 03-10-07, 10:37 AM
Eug421
Driver

Responsibility has to be learned by those kids. Going 85 in a 35? Well at least they walked away not hurt.
Old 03-10-07, 10:54 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nore03
I agree with this guy. When i saw the first post about how the IS was wrecked by a 17 year old i knew what was coming. 6 pages in 2 days???
And why are YOU so upset about the post count? People find it an interesting topic, and have opinions on it, as do you. And the discussion has been pretty good right now, IMO.

I know if i were rich and i had money to throw around i'd buy my son whatever car he wanted, but i would at least try to make sure he 1) made sure that he had to be responsible with it and 2) deserved it. Hey you can't tell people how to spend their money.
Aren't you also then saying what a lot of people have been saying here? And didn't you just contradict yourself in successive sentences?

I still find it great here but geez relax some people.
I think most of us are relaxed.... The only people really worked up here are the ones that keep telling everybody else to relax...
Old 03-10-07, 11:13 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Wow.
That was an interesting read. ALL of us, reguardless of age, have had stupid moments in our cars. Some of us were more *lucky* than others.

Maybe he truly thought the IS could take such a curve, you never know what people are thinking.

I think its great that if parents have that kind of money and they way to buy their kids nice cars, I'm all for it! Why have money if you can't spend it on thoes you love, right? I think the only fault here is maybe the parents didn't sit down with the driver and make sure he throughly understood safety on the roads in such a moderately powerful car! In any case, like I said.. we have all done stupid things in our cars, and this teenager learned the hard way that being stupid is also VERY dangerous.

All press is good press! Its AMAZING they walked out alive, I would like to think reguardless of the next car he gets, that he'll NEVER take a turn that FAST again.
Old 03-10-07, 12:38 PM
SPEED&ECO.
Lead Lap

without a scratch huh?

now i feel safe in my car... haha
Old 03-10-07, 04:26 PM
fastball
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TLW
Not sure how old you are, but my friend had the exact same car. Good times...Good Times

I'm 29. Yes, some very good times in that car...... I think the footprints of my girlfriend at the time were still in the headliner when I sold it.

Did I just say that?
Old 03-12-07, 09:18 AM
iobidder
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
So again it comes down to the person driving, if the person wants to speed bad enough, they are gonna do it whether in the cobalt or 350, one just gets you there quicker than the other, i do understand what your saying tho.
Yes, the person driving, who just happens to be in the age bracket of teens that are inexperienced drivers (We were all there at one point) and think they own the roads when when they get a powerful car like the IS350. The crash really speaks for itself. I am not trying to be biased here, but that is why there is higher insurance premiums for younger drivers, and it based on risk to the insurance company and you being inexperienced behind the wheel, and having a greater risk of that young driver going 85 in a 35 zone, all of which are statistically proven day in and day out.

Originally Posted by warrionex
Dudes, you guys don't understand mathematics. The problem here was the car, yes the IS, that couldn't handled the curve @ 85 mph. He is going to convice his parents to get him a better car. In less than a month he will probably have a brand new Porsche to deal with speed situation.
I really hope you are joking
Old 03-12-07, 09:44 AM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iobidder
I really hope you are joking
I am quite certain he was joking... however, you'd be suprised what parents do these days. I had a friend in college who wrecked his car while drinking & driving. He had an old Toyota 4-Runner. To replace it his parents got him a two year old Porche Boxter............................
Old 03-12-07, 10:06 AM
iobidder
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RamshakleZ
I am quite certain he was joking... however, you'd be suprised what parents do these days. I had a friend in college who wrecked his car while drinking & driving. He had an old Toyota 4-Runner. To replace it his parents got him a two year old Porche Boxter............................
In that case we can't blame the kid, but rather the parents. The common sense train left their station a bit early.
Old 03-13-07, 11:43 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
man that sucks. too bad the kids werent hurt. if you are that dumb to take a turn at 85 in a 35 and you dont know how to handle your car, you deserve whats coming to you.
You should never wish harm or anything negative on anyone, remember karma is a b***h. Ok so we kno the kids are friggin retarded for doin what they did, you still dont wish harm on anyone, its jus not right.