IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Smoked/Tinted tail lights..........

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-07, 07:18 AM
06-250
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoked/Tinted tail lights..........

So I was just reading through that thread of someone who sprayed there tail lights with the spray tint, and just thought i would show you guys what i have done, I have not done it to my lexus because I am just experimenting right now but I just used actuall tint and this way there is no perment damage done to the tail lights so if you ever don't want it anymore or the cops bug you for it all you have to do is peel it off. So here are a couple pics of my eclipse done...(note the two outsides are done and not the middle so you can see the difference, also I used 32% tint and so far for maintenance I just put a little wax on them once a month, but other then that they hold up to auto car wash,hand wash, and weather.) And I will be doing this to the Lex here when the weather gets warmer..Let me know what you guys think, Thanks....

Last edited by 06-250; 03-09-07 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-09-07, 07:41 AM
is2fiddy
Driver

So you just bought some tint film and applied it to the tail lights as if you were tinting windows? Sounds easy and looks good. The IS would be a chore because of all the way the tail lights are made.
Old 03-09-07, 07:48 AM
Haiko
Rookie

Looks nice, good job!

I've seen the premade tail light film on ebay but am very leary of it because it would look sooo stupid if it became askew or worse, fell off. I do realize this stuff is applied with some serious stick'um but still, it's a lexus, we have a higher strandard to up hold right?
Old 03-09-07, 07:51 AM
06-250
Rookie

Yeah it just tint from solar gaurd, and yeah these tail lights were a bit of a chore they took me 4 hours just to get the 2 I have done so far because of the way they round and curve. The only part on the lex tail light that concerns me is that sharp edge it has in the middle but i am gonna attemp it here when it warms up a bit and so i will post that to to see what you guys think...I just wanted some opinions first before I actually do it....
Old 03-09-07, 07:54 AM
06-250
Rookie

Yeah I seen that stuff on ebay thats were I got the Idea but they use a vynl over lay so I figured tint is pretty durable and it seems to be holding up pretty good so far ......
Originally Posted by Haiko
Looks nice, good job!

I've seen the premade tail light film on ebay but am very leary of it because it would look sooo stupid if it became askew or worse, fell off. I do realize this stuff is applied with some serious stick'um but still, it's a lexus, we have a higher strandard to up hold right?
Old 03-09-07, 01:16 PM
kschawaii
Pole Position

i bought the film from ebay and i had a horrible experience from it. The 2 taillights closest to the license plate were pretty easy but the outer ones were nearly impossible. The sharp corner threw everything off and unless you cut the film and fold etc., the tail lights would have looked horrible from all the creases. So on one of the taillights i cut the film and overlapped etc but it turned out horrible. On the other side i tried not cutting the film and just try and get it on there with no or as little creases as possible. Either way the outside taillights turned out horrible. I ended up taking off all the smoked film and throwing it away.
I bought the film from ebay for about $30 and another $10 for shipping. That for me was the biggest waste of $40.

After getting upset at the film from ebay i called my local tint shop. I asked them if they could tint my taillights and they said that they wouldnt recommend it because the heat from the taillights and weather is eventually gonna make the tint look bad. He said he would do it if i really wanted them done but he said that from his 8 years of experience he wouldnt recommend using tint on taillights/headlights.

So now im just going to take them to my paint shop and have them smoke it with paint and clear it after. He said he done it before and they came out great and it last as long as your car paint.